Here are some stories reported in the South Wales Argus 100 years ago, on February 11, 1919.


Outburst at Newport Council.

Charge for Admission Suggested.

LIVELY passages occurred at Newport Town Council, on Tuesday, upon Mr. Robjent’s motion regarding the appointment of a special committee to deal with the future aspect of the water question, which was ultimately defeated by 18 votes to six.

Mr. W. E. Robertson had strongly criticised the personnel of the suggested committee, pointing to the irregular attendances of some of the members mentioned.

Later Mr. E. A. Charles regarded it as an insult to Alderman Parry, for example, to suggest that because Mr. Robertson had attended four times as many meeting as the Alderman, that he was a four times better councillor.

Mr. Robertson: Whatever are you talking about? Have you taken leave of your senses? I never mentioned my own attendance.

Mr. Charles: That is the logical deduction from your criticism.

Mr. Robertson: You are an irresponsible person, and I ask the Mayor to make you withdraw that statement.

The Mayor did not do so, but allowed the discussion to proceed. Mr. Robertson, however, frequently interrupted, demanding a withdrawal, and the Mayor had a busy time ringing his bell for order.

Mr. Charles said Mr. Robertson was under a misapprehension, but Mr. Robertson declined to accept this, shouting, “I don’t mind criticism, but I will not have biased lies told about me. I never mentioned my own attendances.

It was sometime before the Mayor could restore order, and then Mr. C. F. Williams exclaimed, “I think councillors should give notice of these performances, so that we can made a charge for admission.”


Donkeyman Fatally Burned.

A DISTRESSING tragedy was discovered early on Tuesday morning on the dock of the ss. Eilaline lying at the South Quay of the Alexandra Docks.

The badly charred body of a donkeyman, Tom Lloyd, aged about 56, employed as the night watchman, was found near a derrick.

It is supposed that while on his rounds in the darkness of the early morning a derrick fell on him and upset the lamp he was carrying.

His clothing took fire, and the extent of the flames may be judged by the fact that his watch, knife, spectacle case, and pipe were burned almost beyond recognition, while the copper coins he had in his pocket were badly discoloured.

It is said that his neck was broken by a wire rope attacked to the derrick.

Later the body was removed to the mortuary.


BARRY bakers have passed a resolution to ignore the Food Control Order prohibiting the sale of bread unless 12 hours old.

The local Committee have intimated they will summon all bakers who disregard the regulations.