A WOMAN from Pontypool had a frightening brush with death after being told by surgeons that if she had arrived at hospital an hour later, she may not have survived.

Tracey Baker was rushed to Nevill Hall Hospital by her neighbour after she says she called 999 three times between 2.20pm and 4pm, but no ambulance arrived.

Mrs Baker said she had a bowel operation in November, only to feel “really bad pains” in her stomach again earlier this year.

“I went to the GP in the morning and she said to call an ambulance if it got any worse,” she said.

“At about 2.20pm, I phoned 999 as I was crippled in pain. They said to ring again if it got any worse.

“I was practically dragging myself to the bathroom and was throwing up green bile.


Someone gave illegal drugs to 13-year-old found dead in park' say police.

Ynysddu Welfare FC left 'homeless' after council’s decision to close Pontllanfraith Leisure Centre.

The incredible profit made by property owner who bought council home through the Right to Buy scheme before selling it on.

“I was going in and out of consciousness, so I phoned again.

“My hearing started going and my body was shutting down.

“My son was really worried. He phoned 999 again, asking for an ETA on the ambulance.

“He was told that my condition was not life threatening.”

Mrs Baker said that her neighbour got home from work at about 4pm and rushed her to hospital.

There she was rushed in for a bowel operation - where she was told that it had twisted, cutting off the blood supply and circulation.

“The surgeon told me that it could have been fatal if I had arrived an hour later,” she added.

Mrs Baker said that she received a voicemail at 5pm - when she was in surgery - asking if she still required an ambulance.

South Wales Argus:

Tracey Baker and her son Lee Thomas. Picture: Lee Thomas.

Louise Platt, interim director of operations for the Welsh Ambulance Service, said: “We are very sorry to hear of the experience of Mrs Baker and her family and we wish her a speedy recovery.

“Calls are categorised on the basis of the seriousness of a patient’s condition, which is determined using a prioritisation algorithm which is used by ambulance services across the world and is based on what the caller tells the call handler about the patient.

“Only those calls which are immediately life-threatening, like those where the patient is in cardiac arrest or choking, are subject to a response target of eight minutes.

“Other calls are dealt with on the basis of the clinical condition of the patient, rather than in time order.

“This is why we are unable to give ambulance arrival times, as ambulances can be diverted to more clinically serious calls.

“We understand that any wait is distressing and we would always advise people to phone us again if they believe the condition of the patient is deteriorating.

“If a patient is fit to travel in a car, then we would always advise that a patient should make their own way to hospital with the assistance of a friend, family member or taxi.”