A RESIDENT has slammed a housing association decision to warn him to remove his front door mat over health and safety concerns as “stupid”.

Michael Perkins, who lives in Oliphant Circle, Newport, says he placed the mat outside his flat door a few months ago.

But Newport City Homes (NCH) - which owns the property - sent a letter to the 35-year-old last week, warning it would remove the mat if it is left out because it "does not comply" with health and safety.

MORE NEWS: Everything we know so far as driver is critically injured in early-morning crash in Duffryn, Newport

Mr Perkins said: “"I just find it unbelievable.

"It is stupid and shows health and safety has gone totally mad.

South Wales Argus:

"I do not understand how the mat can be a problem.

“I am on the top floor and it is rubber underneath so it will not slip."

The letter from a NCH staff member read: "I have had to roll up your mat as it does not comply with Health and Safety and Fire Assessment that we have had, your mat has been classed a trip hazard.

"Please do not put the mat back down as I will have to remove it."

MORE NEWS: Latest phase of £30m regeneration scheme for Ringland, Newport, set to be approved by Newport City Council

Sharon Wilkins, deputy director of homes and communities at Newport City Homes, apologised for any "inconvenience".

She said: “We completely understand that residents may wish to personalise their communal area, however, the safety of all of our residents has always been and continues to be our highest priority.

“Following the introduction of a caretaking service last year, we discovered a number of serious breaches of fire regulations through the storage of items within communal areas.

“Following a review of our communal areas, and with external advice, we are legally required to implement a zero-tolerance approach on all items - no matter how small - left in a communal space.

“This is because these items pose a risk to residents who may need to evacuate in an emergency situation.

“We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause, and would ask for our residents’ understanding on this matter.”