TWO sisters on a night out were brutally attacked by a homeless man in the centre of Pontypool.

Jade Davey suffered a fractured eye socket and broken nose as Jordan Jones set upon her and booted her in the face whilst she was on the floor after being knocked to the ground.

Her sister Genna Davey was bleeding from her ear after the 23-year-old defendant beat her up as she came to her sister’s aid on April 6, 2018.

Newport Crown Court heard how Jones is currently serving a 12-year extended sentence for an aggravated burglary he committed three months after this offence.


In that case, he and an accomplice were wearing balaclavas and threatened to shoot a homeowner with a rifle and rape his girlfriend during a terrifying ordeal.

They pair thought they were targeting a drug dealer in Pontypool as they went in search of a cannabis fix but they went to the wrong address in a case of mistaken identity.

Bethan Evans, prosecuting, said that in this earlier unrelated assault, the sisters were attacked after leaving the Hanbury Arms in Clarence Street.

She told the court: “The defendant began to punch Jade Davey, and Genna Davey tried to pull him away. She was punched to the floor and was knocked unconscious.

“He punched Jade Davey to the face and he was kicking her to the face when she was on the floor.

“She received a cut to her nose and there was black spot. After this was later examined, a piece of blue thread was pulled out which matched the trainers of the defendant.”

Jade Davey was treated at Abergavenny’s Nevill Hospital where she underwent surgery after suffering a fractured left eye socket and broken nose.

Miss Evans said: “She said she was crying for two days because she was in so much pain.”

Genna Davey was seen at Newport’s Royal Gwent Hospital after she sustained bleeding from her ear and lip.

In a victim impact statement read to the court, Jade Davey revealed how the attack had “turned her life upside down” and she had stopped going to work as a result.

Miss Evans, reading Genna Davey’s words, said: “I have moved away from Gwent as a result of this. It was a totally unprovoked attack on two defenceless women.”

Judge Daniel Williams pointed out that when the victims’ impact statements were being read out, the defendant who appeared in court via video link from Parc Prison, was “deriding” what they said.

Jones, formerly of Pontypool, pleaded guilty to wounding Jade Davey and assault occasioning actual bodily harm against Genna Davey.

The judge questioned why the defendant had been granted bail after attacking the two sisters and why this case was not linked to the aggravated burglary.

Miss Evans said Jones had been released under police investigation but could offer no explanation as to why the cases were not joined.

The judge told her: “I want a written explanation from the officer in the case and the Crown Prosecution Service as to why this case was dealt with in the way it has.”

Stephen Thomas, for Jones, said: “The best mitigation is his guilty plea. He takes full responsibility for what he has done.

“He has little memory of what happened. He was leading a chaotic lifestyle and he was homeless.

“He will be in custody for the majority of his 20s.”

Judge Williams jailed Jones for an additional 32 months to run consecutively to his 12-year extended sentence.