A MAN has died after an incident on the railway line near Newport, it has been confirmed.

On Saturday evening (September 18), the emergency services were called to a section of railway line to the east of the city, in between Newport Railway Station and Severn Tunnel Junction stations.

It came as a result of reports of a casualty on the tracks.

The British Transport Police (BTP) confirmed that they, along with paramedics from the Welsh Ambulance Service, were called to the scene, at around 8.55pm.

It has since been confirmed that on arrival by the emergency services, a man was pronounced dead at the scene.

  • Everyone loves their furry (and sometimes not so furry) friends – and we want to meet yours. Whether you’ve got dogs, cats, rodents, birds, lizards or something even more exotic, tell us – and our readers – all about your faithful friends. Click here to submit information and pictures.

A spokeswoman for the BTP confirmed that the incident is not being treated as suspicious.

At this time, a file is being prepared for the coroner.

Following the incident, all trains were blocked in both directions between Newport and Severn Tunnel Junction, while emergency personnel attended the incident.

CrossCountry, who operate many services along this line Tweeted to say: “Due to emergency services dealing with an incident between Severn Tunnel Junction and Newport (South Wales), all lines are blocked.

“Services are subject to delays and alterations. Disruption is expected until close of service.”

Several hours later, at approximately 11.55pm, they sent a follow-up Tweet to confirm that the track had reopened once more.

Great Western Railway services were also impacted by the incident.

Read more local news

Statement from police in full

A spokeswoman for the British Transport Police told the Argus: “Officers were called to the line near Newport at 8.55pm on Saturday 18 September following reports of a casualty on the tracks.

“Paramedics also attended, and sadly a man was pronounced dead at the scene.

“The incident is not being treated as suspicious and a file will be prepared for the coroner.”