NEWPORT produced a superb second-half display to record a 27-15 away win at RGC in the Premiership Cup.

The Black and Ambers made the long trip north to Colwyn Bay on the back of a fine success against Cardiff but looked set for defeat at half-time.

RGC started the sharper in the rain at Parc Eirias a struck first through wing Harri Evans.

Will Reed, kicker of the late winner against the Blue and Blacks, got Newport on the scoreboard with a penalty.

However, the hosts scored their second through wing Rhys Tudor and then Danny Cross added a penalty to make it 15-3 at the break.

Newport needed to improve, and they did.

Dragons flanker Lennon Greggains crossed soon after the restart with Reed adding the extras to make it 15-10.

It was level-pegging when teenage wing Oli Andrew crossed and the visitors hit the front when hooker Henry Palmer went over to make it 20-15.

The turnaround was complete when full-back Clayton Gullis scored the bonus-point try with Reed converting.

Newport are second thanks to the win in the north, a point back on Cardiff.

They responded to their Rodney Parade disappointment by thrashing previously unbeaten Ebbw Vale at Eugene Cross Park.

The Steelmen won at Merthyr and then edged out Ponty but were well beaten by the favourites to top the eastern group.

Cardiff led 15-3 at half-time with Iestyn Harris and Gwilym Bradley crossing for the visitors.

They won with a bonus thanks to another from Harris and a score by Will Davies-King.

The Steelmen beat Ponty despite having two yellow cards and once again were hindered by spells down to 14 men with forwards Dave Whiting and Dan Hill cautioned in either half.

Pontypridd beat Merthyr 21-14 at Sardis Road to join Ebbw, Newport and Cardiff on two wins after three of the 10 rounds of action.

It is the turn of the Steelmen to head to RGC on Saturday while the Black and Ambers entertain Merthyr at a venue yet to be confirmed.

Talks have been held about splitting games between Rodney Parade and Spytty Park.

Bedwas edged out Cross Keys 13-5 at Pandy Park in the first round of the WRU Championship Plate.

The two rivals met at the same ground seven days earlier when it was the hosts that sneaked a win to complete the Gwent Championship Cup group, which had already been won by Bargoed.

Bedwas got their revenge in the rain with number eight Alex Bourne opening the scoring with a try that was converted by Matty Bancroft, who added a penalty for a 10-0 lead at the break.

Dion McIntosh increased the lead with a penalty after 55 minutes before number eight Francisco Souto gave Keys hope from close range with 15 minutes to go.

However, there was no more scoring and Bedwas will aim to back up their success when they host Tata Steel on Saturday while Keys head to Beddau.