NEWPORT RFC fought back in the second half for the second week running to start life at Spytty Park with a 27-16 victory over Merthyr in the Premiership Cup.

The Black and Ambers were on different home soil for the first time after switching from Rodney Parade.

Merthyr weren’t providing any moving-in gifts in the first half after hitting the front with 13 unanswered points.

Eight points from the boot of Gareth Thompson and a try by Rhys Williams put the Ironmen in command.

But, just like at RGC seven days earlier, Newport came flying out and a penalty try was soon followed by a score by flanker Lennon Greggains that Will Reed converted.

The fly-half knocked over a pair of penalties to make it 20-13 but Thompson narrowed the gap from the tee.

However, the Black and Ambers had the final say when in-form wing Oli Andrew, who scored in the upset against Cardiff, finished in the corner.

The win keeps Newport hot on the heels of eastern group leaders Cardiff.

The top four qualify for the play-offs and Ebbw Vale remain third despite a second loss on the spin.

They travelled north to RGC with the hope of putting a comprehensive defeat to Cardiff behind them but they slipped to a 17-13 reverse at Parc Eirias.

Ebbw led 6-0 through the boot of fly-half Lewis K Williams but a pair of Dragons prospects put the Steelmen on the back foot.

Fly-half Evan Lloyd got the hosts on the scoreboard with a penalty and then hooker Brodie Coghlan scored from a lineout, with the playmaker converting for a 10-6 lead at the break.

Ebbw hit the front when pack power led to a try to make it 13-6 but RGC responded in kind to restore their four-point advantage.

The Steelmen put the pressure on to snatch victory but failed to take their chances and had to be content with a consolation bonus point.

The first Premiership Gwent derby takes place on Saturday when Ebbw welcome Newport to Eugene Cross Park.

Both Gwent teams enjoyed wins in the second round of fixtures in the Championship Plate.

The tournament opened with Bedwas winning at Cross Keys and they made it a double by hammering Tata Steel 55-15 at Bridge Field.

Stef Sankala’s side ran in eight tries with Aaron Billingham scoring a hat-trick on his debut to celebrate turning 21 in style.

Bedwas fell behind early on but got back on track through Aaron Billingham, prop Rhys Hutcherson, and fly-half Matty Bancroft.

Full-back Sam Davies, Billingham (2), lock Harry Oliver and scrum-half Rory Harries went over after the break for a side who will try to make it three from three at Trebanos this weekend.

It was tighter at Beddau but Keys dug deep for a 17-13 success.

Bargoed started the Championship Cup with a bang when they thrashed Ystrad Rhondda 54-25.