ONE hundred years ago, on October 1, 1921, the War Memorial commemorating the death of 76 Old Monmothians, former pupils of Monmouth Grammar School who were killed in the First World War, was unveiled.

The unveiling was performed by Captain Angus Buchanan VC, awarded the highest honour for valour for an act of conspicuous bravery in Mesopotamia in 1916 - rescuing a wounded officer and then the wounded man he had been attempting to save, out in the open under heavy machine gun fire.

The following year, in 1917, Buchanan was shot in the head by a sniper and blinded.

The War Memorial was made by the sculptor Alfred William Ursell from grey Cornish granite and was designed as a combination of a medieval preaching cross and Elizabethan sundial.

The plinth carries the names of the Old Boys of the School who gave their lives in war.

MORE NEWS: