A MAN has been banned from Cardiff’s Principality Stadium for life after running on to the pitch during Wales' match against South Africa on Saturday.

The 28-year-old from Caerphilly caused chaos and has received death threats after pulling the prank.

South Wales Police said they have not arrested the man and he was released.

He climbed over barriers and on to the field of play in the final quarter of game.

South Wales Argus:

The pitch invader came so close to the action during a critical point in the game. Picture: David Davies (PA)

This incident raises more serious questions about security at the Principality Stadium following the game against New Zealand last month when serial pitch invader Daniel Jarvis joined the All Blacks anthem line-up before being thrown out of the venue.

Principality Stadium manager Mark Williams said: "Working collaboratively with South Wales Police we were able to identify the pitch invader who entered the field of play during Wales v South Africa at Principality Stadium on Saturday, 6 November 2021.

"The WRU [Welsh Rugby Union], Principality Stadium and South Wales Police condemns any behaviour of this kind, and the individual will be issued with a lifetime ban from buying any tickets from the WRU for rugby events held at Principality Stadium in future.

"We were deeply disappointed to discover the individual is a registered player and member of a rugby club; and the WRU are currently investigating this as a code of conduct breach.

"I'd like to thank the pitchside stewards and on-pitch security team who acted swiftly stopping the individual and escorting them from the field of play.

"For more than 20 years this stadium has been revered across the world for its unique atmosphere and game-day experience.

"It's extremely disappointing to think that by recent events the traditional game-day experience is under threat and that we might be forced to look at additional measures that will impact on the fan experience in future."

A South Wales Police spokesperson said: “The 28-year-old man who intruded onto the pitch at the Principality Stadium on Saturday evening was escorted from the ground and ejected from the stadium.

“South Wales Police will discuss the matter further with the stadium management.”

It was a stunt that backfired massively though for Wales as it is being blamed on preventing a potential try-scoring opportunity for fullback Liam Williams.

There were no guarantees he would have scored with the pass behind him and three covering Springboks defenders closing in.

But the incident did occur in the fullback’s line of vision before he was stripped of possession.

With the scores at 15-15, had he touched down, it might have helped tip the game in the hosts’ balance with world champions South Africa going on to win 23-18.