THE man who was rescued after spending more than two days trapped in a cave in the Brecon Beacons is said to be doing well despite his injuries.

The man, who has not been named, was taken out of Ogof Ffynnon Ddu cave at arounf 7.45pm on Monday, November 8.

About 70 rescuers watched and cheered as he was taken by Land Rover to an ambulance bound for Morriston Hospital in Swansea.

The emergency services liaison officer, Gary Evans, said: "The casualty is doing remarkably well, if you consider how long he’s been in the cave, how long he’s been in a stretcher- he’s doing very well indeed.

"He’s being assessed at the moment and we’ll know more in a short while."

The injured man, believed to be in his mid 40s, suffered multiple injuries including several broken bones.

He has suspected spinal injuries, a compound fracture to his leg breaking both his fibula and tibia, broken breast bone and collar bone - as well as suffering a broken jaw, mouth injuries and lacerations to his neck.

Removing him from the cave proved difficult as he had to be given treatment in a cave and be moved carefully by stretcher.

When asked about the success of the operation Mr Evans said: "We’re absolutely delighted, we’re delighted because it was a difficult rescue and we’re delighted because the casualty has done really well considering what’s happened."

Gary Mitchell, South and Mid Wales Cave Rescue Team’s surface controller, said: “To get that news that he’s finally out, he’s on the surface and being well looked after is clearly ecstatic for all of us.”


More than 240 people were involved in what is reported as the longest ever cave rescue operation in South Wales.

The caves located near to Penwyllt are 300 metres deep, making them the deepest in the UK.

They are also the third longest cave in the UK stretching more than 30 miles and are popular with cavers.

The cave that the man fell in is recommended for experienced cavers, but the area is not thought to be dangerous.

The man was injured when a boulder came loose as he was climbing, causing him to fall around 50 feet.