TWO Gwent residents have been issued with fines in recent weeks, having been found guilty of breaching covid lockdown restrictions.

In late 2020, and early parts of this year, much of Newport, Gwent, and the wider South Wales area was placed under lockdown restrictions, in a bid to limit the spread of the potentially deadly virus.

During this time, non-essential travel “without reasonable excuse” was prohibited.

In recent weeks, two people found themselves before Gwent Magistrates' Court, having been found to be in breach of these restrictions.

  • Everyone loves their furry (and sometimes not so furry) friends – and we want to meet yours. Whether you’ve got dogs, cats, rodents, birds, lizards or something even more exotic, tell us – and our readers – all about your faithful friends. Click here to submit information and pictures.

On Monday, October 25, Liam Royal of Laurel Road, Bassaleg, Newport, appeared before the court in Newport.

The 27-year-old was found to have been a person living in an alert level 4 area of Wales, outside of his place of living without reasonable excuse.

The court heard that the offence occurred on January 23, at Commercial Road, Pill, Newport.

His actions were found to be contrary to regulations 37(1)(d) and 44 of, and paragraph 1(1) of Schedule 4 to, the Health Protection (Coronavirus Restrictions) (No. 5) (Wales) Regulations 2020.

Mr Royal was fined £60, ordered to pay costs of £85 to the Crown Prosecution Service, and a £34 surcharge to fund victim services.

The defendant’s guilty plea was taken into account when the sentence was imposed.

Read more local news

Roisin Payton of Bryn Eglwys, Cwmbran in Torfaen appeared before magistrates on Monday, November 8.

On December 12, 2020, the 24-year-old was found to have gathered in a private dwelling at Bryn Eglwys, Cwmbran, with other persons, which was contrary to regulations 4(1) and 35(1)(a) and (7) of the Health Protection (Coronavirus Restrictions) (No. 4) (Wales) Regulations 2020.

Ms Payton pleaded guilty and was issued with a £1,173 fine.

She was also ordered to pay costs of £85, and a £117 surcharge to fund victim services.

The guilty plea was taken into account when the sentence was imposed.