WAIT until Cardiff come to Rodney Parade in the league at the end of next month - that was the message from the Newport camp after the holders were knocked out of the Principality Cup 20-14 in a rip-roaring quarter-final at the Arms Park last night.

It was the second time this season that Newport have had the better of the game against their oldest rivals only to fail to take the spoils.

Shane Howarth had another off night with his kicking, missing four shots at goal, while Newport's pressure up front failed to reap the rewards.

"We'll be prepared for Cardiff next time in the league which will be important because we are in with a shout for the title," said coach Ian McIntosh.

And scrum half Ofisa Tonu'u stressed "They have got to come to our back yard. We said in the changing room that we may be out of the cup but we're still going for the league. "That's more important because of the consistency over the season.

"This will show our character now. We've had a good run and we've been on a roll, but now we've got to re-group and bounce back."

Referee David Davies awarded his usual high number of penalties, 28 this time, McIntosh at one stage appearing on the touchline haranging fourth official Ken Brackston.

He refused to comment after the game, fearing he would get into trouble, confining himself to saying: "We don't know who's refereeing, the referee or the touch judge.

"We were puzzled by him but we've just got to accept it.

"I'd like to look at that last scrum again because it was close to a penalty try".

Cardiff replacement prop Kenneth Fourie was sent off near the end for his second yellow card, the first for interfering with play and the second for a technical offence at a scrum.

But McIntosh admitted: "We let it slip. In the first half we kicked away too much ball and the first try was a stinger because we lost possession.

"The last try came from a penalty at a scrum and Rod Snow still doesn't know what it was for, but it was a beautiful run by Rob Howley.

"The quality of the game was very good. There was a lot of pressure from both sides and it was the type of rugby which can only help the national side.

"We've been playing sides who have given us the leeway to score, but tonight that was not the case."

Tonu'u added: "It's disappointing, but that's top class rugby, it's what you play for. The preparations couldn't have been better and we did everything right."

Cardiff coach Rudy Joubert praised his side's effort and Howley for his try.

"It was always going to be close. Newport are a great side, but our defence was outstanding and we kept our heads," he said.