A NEWPORT man was yesterday charged with manslaughter and an offence under health and safety regulations after the death of a teenage girl from suspected carbon monoxide poisoning last year.

Alex Mitchell, 14, was found dead by her mother at her home in Pentre Close, Coed Eva, Cwmbran, last March.

Following an investigation by Gwent Police and the Health and Safety Executive, a 38-year-old man from Newport was last night charged in connection with her death. He is due to appear in court later this month. Alex's mother, Anne Mitchell, found her and the family's dog dead when she came home from work.

Nearly a year since the teenager's death last March 25, Good Friday, Mrs Mitchell, 52, said the pain was still acute.

"The whole family still feel totally devastated," she said yesterday. "Alex was everything to us all and we are still struggling to come to terms with it. She has left a massive hole. When I wake up in the morning I wish that I hadn't woken up."

Mrs Mitchell said she and her two daughters, Elizabeth, 30, and Rachel, 25, would mark the anniversary of Alex's death in private.

"It will be a day of silence," she said. "I will visit her grave as I do most days when I'm not working."

Shortly after her death, Alex's family paid a loving tribute to a "wonderful, most beautiful and talented granddaughter, daughter, sister and auntie". A statement read: "You've given us 14 years of love, laughter and inspiration.

"Always an honour to have loved and shared with you, you'll be held in our hearts forever."

Flowers and soft toys were left in the front garden of the house. Alex's former head teacher at Fairwater High, Steve Cocks, said shortly after her death: "Everybody has been totally shocked by this. She was a good pupil, well thought of by other pupils in the school. Everybody was fond of her."

The school is to hold a non-uniform day in her memory next month, while Mrs Mitchell presents a memorial silver plate to the school's best musician - an honour which will be awarded annually.