NEWPORT County AFC continue to limp across the finishing line in League Two after another disappointing day at Rodney Parade.

The Exiles suffered a fifth successive defeat as Cambridge United edged a poor match thanks to James Dunne’s winner midway through the second half.

It’s now four games without a goal for Warren Feeney’s men, who didn’t register a single shot on target against the U’s.

But it seems as if the failings of bottom two Dagenham & Redbridge and York City will ensure County are safe from relegation.

They are still 11 points clear of the drop zone with just five games left to play and how their fans will welcome the end of a torrid campaign.

Feeney made three changes from the 1-0 defeat at Yeovil Town with defender Andrew Hughes returning from injury in place of Janoi Donacien, Scott Barrow coming in for Tommy O’Sullivan in midfield and Lenell John-Lewis replacing Soulemane Coulibaly up front.

It was a first start since December 28 for John-Lewis and he looked keen to make up for lost time in the early stages.

The former Grimsby Town striker showed the Rodney Parade faithful what they’d been missing, winning ball after ball in the air and ensuring that Cambridge centre-backs Leon Legge and Josh Coulson knew they were in for a battle.

John-Lewis’ aerial prowess also proved a boost in defence as he headed clear a dangerous free-kick.

When the ball came back in it ricocheted off Legge's shin and into Joe Day's hands.

The visitors, who are still chasing a play-off space, gradually got a grip of the game midway through the first half.

Coulson lost his marker to head goalwards from Max Clark’s corner but Scott Boden was in the right place to block.

From the corner Coulson almost curled Ryan Ledson’s miss-hit into the top corner.

And 10 minutes before the break Jimmy Spencer drove a shot into the side netting of Day’s goal.

Spencer went even closer to breaking the deadlock in the first minute of the second half as he steered a shot onto the inside of the post but it bounced to safety and County breathed a sigh of relief.

At the other end Darren Jones nodded a corner into the path of John-Lewis but the striker failed to connect properly and the chance was gone.

He had an even better chance on 55 minutes when put clear through the middle but his shot was always rising over the top of Will Norris’ bar.

And he was left to rue that miss as Cambridge took the lead on 68 minutes.

Barrow made a lung-busting run down the right flank moments before and looked to have spent all his energy as he let James Dunne drift away from him and poke the ball past Day from the edge of the area.

For all their positive intent the Exiles did not force Norris into a save and when Hughes followed John-Lewis in blasting over the bar at the death the game was up.

County: Day; Holmes, (Donacien, 79), Jones, Hughes, Davies; Rodman, Byrne, Elito, Barrow (Ayina, 71); Boden (Coulibaly, 82), John-Lewis

Subs not used: Green, Klukowski, Morgan, O’Sullivan

Referee: Darren England

Attendance: 2,330 (185 Cambridge)

Argus star man: John-Lewis