PONTYPOOL fans will now be starting to think their club’s name is on the WRU National Cup this season, after seeing them dump Cardiff out of the competition tonight and book a last-eight berth.

Just as they did at Parc y Scarlets in the first round late last month, Pooler travelled to a Principality Premiership side in round two and came away with a deserved victory.

The Championship leaders outscored their hosts by four tries to two and fly-half Matthew Jones kicked 23 points to help the Gwent outfit record another famous win.

There were moments when Cardiff, and Gareth Thompson in particular, made Pooler pay for some indiscipline but the visitors’ performance embodied everything required for a cup upset.

They trailed to a couple of early Thompson penalties but went in front when an interception by Sione Tu’ipulotu resulted in wing Nathan Brooks crossing under the posts.

Jones converted and added a penalty but Thompson, who scored 27 points in all, jinked his way to the whitewash.

Back came Pooler and Brooks’ fellow wing Josh Hurley scampered over in the corner, only for Thompson to give Cardiff a 19-17 half-time lead.

The pace didn’t let up after the interval and replacement centre Clayton Gullis regained Pooler the lead after great work from Hurley.

Another Jones penalty was countered by two from Thompson to cut Pontypool’s advantage to 27-25.

The next score was going to be the crucial one, and it went to the visitors.

The ball was worked to the right and flanker Rob Nash couldn’t be stopped by the home defence.

Two more Jones penalties followed after Johnny Edwards had been sent to the sin bin to leave Cardiff with 14 men.

Hooker Ethan Lewis touched down for the hosts late on but Jones capped a fine individual display with the boot by adding a last-ditch penalty to cap a memorable Pooler triumph.

Cardiff: R Williams; J Beal, L Chalke, W Rees-Hole, C Young; G Thompson, L Free; R Lewis, E Lewis, A Rees, J Davies, J Murphy, J Sheekey, J Viggers, B Thomas. Reps: J Tomlinson, G Nash, J Page, J Edwards, T Slater, P King, J Whittingham.

Pontypool: K Meek; N Brooks, D Robinson, S Tu’ipulotu, J Hurley; M Jones, A Quick; A Coundley, B Parry, O Drake, G Rusby-Davies, M Thomas, J Williams, R Nash, B Sparks. Reps: J Jeune, A Watkins, R Dyer, T Hancock, C Gullis, B Egan, C Davies, R Harford.

Scorers, Cardiff: Tries – G Thompson, E Lewis, Cons – G Thompson 2, Pens – G Thompson 6

Pontypool: Tries – N Brooks, J Hurley, C Gullis, R Nash, Cons – M Jones 4, Pens – M Jones 5

Referee: Craig Evans (WRU)