GWENT potters Jak Jones and Ian Preece both had a day to forget as they were whitewashed to exit the ManBetX Welsh Open snooker in round two, writes Andrew Penman.

Cwmbran’s Jones admitted he may have spent too long in bed before his match with England’s David Grace and he’s probably wishing he’d stayed under the duvet after a thumping 4-0 defeat at Cardiff’s Motorpoint Arena.

The 24-year-old fought back from 2-0 and 3-2 down to beat China’s Mei Xiwen on Tuesday and make the second round of his home tournament for the first time.

But he was well beaten by 32-year-old Grace.

“It was very bad,” said Jones. “I’m very disappointed.

“I only live about 25 minutes away but I thought I’d treat it like any other tournament and I stayed in a hotel on Monday night.

“And I don’t know why but I went home after my morning match [on Tuesday].

“I booked my practice for 9am and I missed it because it took an hour and 15 minutes to get in from Cwmbran. It all went wrong for me.

“I probably should have just left earlier – I probably stayed in bed too long!

“I just felt terrible out there,” he added.

“My hands were cold and when he did miss he was leaving me awkward chances and I was leaving him plum in every time.

“It was just one of those matches I think.

“Even when I was 3-0 down I thought that if I started feeling a bit better I could win 4-3 but nothing really went right for me. I just have to pretend it didn’t happen.”

Newport’s Preece beat China’s Zhao Xintong 4-2 on Monday but he could not maintain his form and went down to a 4-0 defeat to England’s Robbie Williams “What a difference two days can make,” said the 35-year-old.

“Two days ago I was in the zone and playing the right shots and playing them well but today I just wasn’t there at all.

“I’ve done exactly the same as I did two days ago but my concentration was poor, my shot selection was poor and I missed a couple of balls.

“It’s disappointing. Two days ago I played alright and today I was dreadful.

“But I’m not going to beat myself up because it’s Gibraltar next. I’ll have a couple of days off and go out in the snow with the kids – a few days on the sledge and then it’s back on the practice table.

Neath's Jamie Jones was also beaten 4-1 by Thailand's Sunny Akani but there was success for another home favourite today as Carmarthen's Matthew Stevens overcame Scotland's Scott Donaldson 4-2.

The 40-year-old missed the final black for victory, but was afforded another opportunity and he clinched a place in the last-32, where he will play Jackson Page's conqueror and defending champion Stuart Bingham.

Stevens said: "I'm pleased to get through but the table was horrendous. The cushions are bouncy and it's heavy. It spoiled the game and I kind of fell over the line. It was hard work out there."