CYCLIST Jon Mould hopes he has got a fourth Commonwealth Games in him after finally medalling on the Gold Coast last month.

The Newport rider finished second in the men’s road race Down Under and the 27-year-old would love to turn silver into gold in Birmingham four years from now.

He went to Australia with ambitions of success on the track, however, things didn’t go to plan in both the points and scratch races.

But, fortunately for Mould, it all came together on Currumbin Beachfront when he teamed up with Luke Rowe, Pete Kibble, Dylan Kerfoot-Robson and Rhys Britton.

After nearly four hours of riding Mould was perfectly poised to strike for the front, and the Welshman looked set to strike gold heading into the final 100 metres.

He couldn’t quite hold on for first as Steele von Hoff edged past, but Mould had more than enough in his reserves to cross the line just behind the Australian.

“I went to get a medal on the track, that was my main aim for the Commonwealth Games, but that didn’t come off, so to pull it off in the road race makes it even better,” he said.

“Sometimes when you want it a lot it doesn’t happen and in the road race I wasn’t thinking ‘I’m going to win a medal here’.

“I just raced like it was any other day, put myself in the right positions and rode really well with Luke, and it paid off.

“Me, Lewis (Oliva), Sam (Harrison) and Luke have been to three Commonwealth Games now, so hopefully I’ll make it to another one and try for gold.”

He added: “I’m happy with silver. I’ve thought about it and when I look back I couldn’t have done anything else.

“Steele was the fastest man in that group and has won from bigger bunch sprints at world tour level.

“So if I had tried a different tactic, like an attack, it would have come back and been a sprint between that group.

“When I made my move I started my sprint early and, watching it back, I couldn’t have done anything else, so I’m really happy with second.

“With about 200m to go I could see the finish and there was still no-one with me, but then Steele came around, and as soon as he did that I was conscious to make sure I stayed second.

“We looked at it and I was two bike lengths in front of third so it wasn’t too close in the end.”

He continued: “We didn’t know what race it was going to be. The Aussies could have raced really aggressively along with New Zealand and that would have split the race completely.

“We had a team of five to make sure we were on the front foot and being positive because that made it easier for us at the end.

“Luke was away early on, then I was, then Pete and then Dylan, who was in the main break of the day.

“The Aussies controlled it and brought it back and then on the last lap it all kicked off and there was a group of 12 by the finish. Luckily I was there and good enough to sprint at the end.

“Your legs are screaming but when it comes to the end of the race you’ve got enough in the tank to get across the line.

“I finished the race, went straight through to the ceremony and put the medal around my neck.

“It was only a week later that I looked back and felt really happy about it."