INDIVIDUAL errors from Fraser Franks and Joe Day condemned Newport County AFC to defeat at Whaddon Road and allowed struggling Cheltenham Town to claim their first home win of the season in League Two.

County, who were outplayed by the Robins throughout, drop to fifth after a desperately disappointing display.

Manager Michael Flynn had demanded that his side back-up a fine win over Colchester United last weekend to prove that they are genuine promotion contenders but they looked a shadow of the side that beat the U’s at Rodney Parade.

Flynn was forced into two changes from that game with Robbie Willmott and Matty Dolan both ruled out due to injury.

That meant a recall for Charlie Cooper and a first league start for Cheltenham-born Cameron Pring, who scored as a substitute last week.

But it was the hosts’ Newport-born right wing-back Ryan Broom who was the dominant figure in a one-sided first 45 minutes.

He enjoyed plenty of space on the right flank and used the ball brilliantly to take the game to County.

Luke Varney curled an early shot over the bar from the edge of the area before Broom was played in by Nigel Atangana and crossed for Tyrone Barnett, who headed well wide on 16 minutes.

That was a warning for the Exiles and one they failed to take.

Broom was free again two minutes later and his cross from the right was left by Fraser Franks, allowing Will Boyle to head powerfully past Joe Day from close range for his fifth goal of the season.

David Pipe, who was County’s best performer in the first half, then blocked a shot from the dangerous Chris Hussey as the hosts continued to make all the running.

The Exiles’ only opportunity before the break came on 36 minutes and Franks was desperately unlucky not to equalise as his bullet header from Dan Butler’s corner was brilliantly saved by Scott Flinders.

That stop took on extra importance a minute before the break when a mistake from Flinders’ opposite number allowed the home side to double their lead.

Day got behind a shot from Hussey but it rebounded off his chest and Barnett was on the spot to fire in from close range.

Varney almost curled in a third in stoppage time and it was no surprise that Flynn took decisive action during the interval.

South Wales Argus:

Cooper and Pring made way for Andrew Crofts and Mark O’Brien and O’Brien was called into action straightaway to block a piledriver from Hussey.

Varney had another opportunity when Day punched a high ball in his direction but the striker’s volley was wayward.

Mark Harris replaced the ineffective Jamille Matt for the closing stages but, while he and Padraig Amond worked hard to force an opening, there seemed little hope of a comeback until the final five minutes.

County were handed a lifeline when Mickey Demetriou was pulled down by Boyle in the box but the centre-back, who missed his last penalty at Forest Green Rovers, dragged his spot-kick wide.

That seemed to sum up a miserable afternoon for the visitors but there was still time for Antoine Semenyo to lash the ball past Flinders on 89 minutes.

Day came up for a succession of corners at the death but County were deservedly beaten in the end.

County: Day; Pipe, Franks, Demetriou, Butler; Cooper (Crofts, 45) Bakinson, Pring (O’Brien, 46); Semenyo, Matt (Harris, 72), Amond

Subs not used: Townsend, Foulston, Sheehan, Collins

Referee: Alan Young

Attendance: 3,672 (936 County)

Argus star man: Pipe