NEWPORT County AFC manager Michael Flynn was relieved to escape The Racecourse with a draw after what he felt was a disappointing display from his team at Wrexham last night.

Flynn admitted his injury-hit squad could have done without an FA Cup replay at Rodney Parade, which is likely to take place on December 11, but he’s happy to be in Monday night’s third-round draw.

And he’s trying to take the positives after County dug in to claim a 0-0 draw against their North Wales rivals in front of the BT Sport cameras.

“It wasn’t a good performance but we’re still in the cup and we’ve kept a clean sheet and if we can still be in the cup with a poor performance then there’s got to be a few positives in there,” said the Exiles boss.

“We didn’t string any passes together, our clearances were poor, our decision-making was poor but we defended very well.

“We stuck up for ourselves and handled what Wrexham threw at us and we live to fight another day.”

County were thankful to goalkeeper Joe Day, who made two excellent saves, and defender Mickey Demetriou for clearing another effort off the line.

South Wales Argus:

But Flynn was frustrated that his side managed just one shot on target and that came on 84 minutes from substitute Antoine Semenyo.

The teenage striker was also guilty of heading over from close range, as was fellow Bristol City loanee Tyreeq Bakinson.

“We missed two sitters,” said the manager. “The two headers have got to be in the back of the net.

“Not to hit the target is poor. We didn’t have a shot on target until Antoine came on.”

County were unchanged from the win over Northampton Town last Tuesday, with Tyler Forbes, Scot Bennett, Matty Dolan, Robbie Willmott and Keanu Marsh-Brown all ruled out through injury and Joss Labadie’s potential return to action delayed by illness.

“A couple of the lads looked tired,” said Flynn. “The games are catching up with us, and the injuries.

“The players that are missing is not helping us so another game is not really what I wanted.

“I’d rather that than going out because it’s important to the football club, but I’d rather we won [at the first attempt].”

Wrexham had Graham Barrow in charge after manager Sam Ricketts was told to stay away from the match as he closes in on a move to League One Shrewsbury Town.

And Flynn believes the turmoil worked in the hosts’ favour.

“It can work both ways and it riled the crowd up,” he said. “They were right up for it. They were very noisy and got behind their team and the Wrexham players seemed to rise to that.

“Fair play to them, they turned a negative into a positive and that’s a good sign for them going forward.”

County now switch their attention to Tuesday’s Checkatrade Trophy second-round tie at Cheltenham Town (kick-off 7.45pm).