WALES warmed up for Sunday’s opening Euro 2020 qualifier against Slovakia with a tepid 1-0 win against Trinidad & Tobago in Wrexham.

Ben Woodburn settled matters in the 92nd minute as he chested a Will Vaulks cross over the line for his second international goal to earn Ryan Giggs’ men a deserved, if uninspiring, victory.

The Racecourse, the oldest existing stadium to stage international football, hosted Wales’ first home match against Scotland in March 1877 but this friendly will not be fondly remembered by many who witnessed it.

It was Wales’ first visit to the famous old ground since a 3-0 friendly win over Norway in 2008 and it was a trip down memory lane for Ryan Giggs, who made his debut for Wales’ under-16s at The Racecourse in 1989.

Giggs made nine changes from November’s friendly defeat in Albania with goalkeeper Danny Ward and record-cap holder Chris Gunter the only players to retain their starting places in an inexperienced team.

Gunter was joined in the starting XI by fellow Newport native Lee Evans, who was winning his fourth cap and making his first start for his country.

There were also starts for Barnsley’s Ryan Hedges and George Thomas, who is on loan at Scunthorpe United from Leicester City, while Rotherham United midfielder Vaulks was handed his debut.

Evans looked comfortable on the ball at the base of the midfield, passing the ball around confidently.

But it was Hedges who had the best moments in a forgettable first 45 minutes.

Playing on the left wing, the 23-year-old was Wales’ most dangerous player in the early stages.

He created the first opening in the third minute when he crossed for Tyler Roberts, whose header was comfortably held by visiting goalkeeper Marvin Phillip.

Hedges then tested Phillip with a snap shot at the far post before Vaulks crossed for Woodburn, whose header was too weak to trouble the goalkeeper.

South Wales Argus:

Evans picked out Thomas with a clever ball across the penalty area on 27 minutes, but the 21-year-old blasted over from 15 yards.

Woodburn wasted a free-kick and Thomas drilled another effort across the face of goal and wide as the young Welsh team enjoyed the majority of the possession and chances without ever looking truly convincing.

Barnsley goalkeeper Adam Davies made his debut as he replaced Ward for the second half, but he had little to do with most of the action at the other end.

Woodburn showed good control and pace to beat his man and play in Thomas and his fierce shot was beaten away by Phillip.

Roberts then cut in from the right and let fly from distance, but his shot was always rising.

There was a big scare for Wales just before the hour mark when Levi Garcia broke free and laid the ball back for Aubrey David.

His low drive beat Davies but Gunter was in the right place to clear the danger on the line.

South Wales Argus:

Giggs reacted by making a double change with James Lawrence and Declan John replacing Ashley Williams and Paul Dummett at the back.

And normal service was swiftly resumed with Vaulks seeing a piledriver deflected behind and the lively Thomas heading in, only to be denied by the offside flag.

And Rabbi Matondo was given 20 minutes to state his case as he replaced Roberts in attack.

Gunter, who wore the captain’s armband after Williams’ departure, headed over and Evans saw a close-range effort beaten away as the chances kept coming but the breakthrough proved elusive.

A crunching challenge between Evans and Leston Paul caused a minor scuffle 10 minutes from time and that looked like being the last of the excitement for the near-capacity crowd before Woodburn won it at the death.

Wales: Ward (Davies, 46); Gunter, Williams (Lawrence, 61), Dummett (John, 61), Taylor; Vaulks, Evans; Hedges, Thomas, Woodburn; Roberts (Matondo, 71)

Subs not used: Smith, Roberts, Wilson

Referee: Tim Marshall (Northern Ireland)

Attendance: 10,326

Argus star man: Thomas