NEWPORT County AFC moved to within two points of the League Two summit thanks to an impressive 2-0 win at promotion rivals Swindon Town.

Mark O’Brien headed County in front at the County Ground seven minutes before the interval and Jamille Matt sealed the win eight minutes from full-time with a close-range volley.

A first win in four games for Michael Flynn’s men saw them move up to sixth in the table and they are now just two points behind leaders Exeter City after 11 matches.

Corey Whitely and Padraig Amond made way for the return of Danny McNamara and Tristan Abrahams in the two changes from last Saturday’s 1-1 home draw with Exeter.

Swindon, who started the day in fourth, made just one change from their 1-0 win at Cambridge United with Kaiyne Woolery replacing the injured Keshi Anderson.

But the hosts were forced into another shake-up early on as captain Dion Conroy was forced off with a knee problem after coming off worse in a 50-50 challenge with Joss Labadie.

And the County captain was the standout player as his side dominated the first 45 minutes.

Matt went close with a header that was deflected wide from the first of five successive corners and Abrahams almost intercepted an under-hit back-pass from Zeki Fryers but Luke McCormick raced out to smother the danger.

Labadie then placed a shot just wide from the edge of the area after an intelligent pull-back from Robbie Willmott.

There were some scares at the other end as Tom King saved from Woolery and Josh Sheehan, superb as ever this season, tracked back to deny Ellis Iandolo.

Scot Bennett also blocked a Jerry Yates effort and King saved smartly from Wales international Lloyd Isgrove.

But it was no less than the Exiles deserved when O’Brien headed in at the far post from Willmott’s corner on 38 minutes.

And Flynn’s men could have extended their lead before the break as Labadie sliced a shot wide and McNamara failed to hit the target at the far post after great work from Ryan Haynes.

The left wing-back then saw an effort deflected behind after a storming run down the right by Labadie and the skipper almost scored from the corner but McCormick saved superbly.

South Wales Argus:

The Robins piled on the pressure in the opening stages of the second half and there was a big let off in the 58th minute when Isgrove curled a shot onto the bar under minimal pressure.

Iandolo cut in from the left and fired over the top as the home fans grew frustrated and began to appeal for anything and everything.

Abrahams had the ball in the net at the other end after a brilliant run and pass from Haynes but the offside flag was up.

The young striker, who quietly impressed throughout, then made way for Amond as the Exiles looked to close out the win.

And the change worked brilliantly as Amond turned his man in the right-hand corner and whipped in a tempting cross for Matt to volley in from close range and secure the three points.

County: King; Howkins, Bennett, O’Brien; McNamara, Labadie (Dolan, 87), Sheehan, Willmott, Haynes; Abrahams (Amond, 72), Matt

Subs not used: Townsend, Nurse, Maloney, Whitely, Poleon

Booked: O’Brien

Referee: David Rock

Attendance: 7,843

Argus star man: Labadie