ASHTON Hewitt believes the way the Dragons kept their foot on Glasgow's throat will give them the confidence to claim more Guinness PRO14 scalps.

The Dragons upset the title hopefuls 18-5 at Rodney Parade on Saturday, playing a shrewd tactical game in testing conditions.

Dean Ryan's side led 6-0 at the break after playing with the wind at their backs but came flying out in the second half to stretch away thanks to tries by flanker Taine Basham and wing Hewitt.

It was a morale-boosting display after a 38-14 hammering at the hands of Connacht, the perfect preparation for tough trips to Leinster and Edinburgh.

South Wales Argus:

"It felt amazing. Dean asked for a response from the Connacht game after a poor performance and the boys put a massive, massive 80-minute shift in," said Hewitt, who set up Basham's try with a searing break.

"I think we forced Glasgow into errors by executing our gameplan and we kept our foot on the gas. We were peppering them with kicks when it was the right time and we made some good, strong carries.

"We made out fair share of mistakes as well in terms of handling errors but we stayed composed, especially going into that second half with an advantage.

"We've been guilty in the past of letting teams back into the game but this time we kept our foot on the throat and took it home.

"In the past we have been guilty of coming off the gas but we didn't do that, even though the wind was against us.

"It's a massive win. Any win is big but Glasgow came to us in terrible conditions and we played them really well. It's a huge win and will give us confidence to build and move forward."

Hewitt scored his first try since March, 2018 after winning the race to a loose ball from a chargedown – "I'll take them however I can get them!" – and feels that he is in full stride after the nightmare shoulder injury, suffered in Wales training, that sidelined him for 17 months.

South Wales Argus:

"I've blown away the cobwebs and I am getting back into the swing of things," said the 24-year-old, who has played in three of four fixtures after missing the win at Zebre with a nasty cut to his lip.

"After being out for a while the body wasn't used to 80 minutes but I am past that stage now. I am a couple of games in and feel that I am fully back now."

Next up for Hewitt & Co is a tough trip to Dublin to face champions Leinster, who have won four from four despite being without their Ireland contingent for the start of their title defence.

"It's a massive test and we can take the pressure off ourselves a little bit, going away from home against a massive, massive challenge," said Hewitt.

"The boys were asked to front up this week and increase the physicality after Connacht. If we take that into Leinster and back ourselves you never know what could happen."

The Dragons' solitary win in the Irish capital came in February, 2015 when Lyn Jones' side won 16-14 thanks to a first-half try by centre Pat Leach and 11 points from the right boot of wing Tom Prydie.