THERE was no stopping the half-a-dozen Gwent fighters on show at Saturday night’s Sanigar Events promotion in Pontypool with all six sealing impressive victories.

While Gavin Gwynne bounced back from his defeat to Joe Cordina by recording a first-round stoppage, the other five won to maintain their unblemished professional records.

Fight of the night was undoubtedly the bout between Risca welterweight Jake Tinklin and tough Hungarian Zoltan Szabo, the two men going hell for leather over a barnstorming six rounds.

Tinklin (5-0) eventually prevailed 58-57, but only after being given a real examination of his boxing credentials by the dangerous Szabo, who gave as good as he got.

The tone of the contest was set from the off, Tinklin landing a couple of cracking left hands, before Szabo planted a stinging body shot on the Welshman’s torso.

The fourth round was possibly one of the best on Welsh soil this year, as the pair went toe-to-toe during a breath-taking three minutes that no-one wanted to stop.

It all began with a big right hand from Szabo momentarily unsteadying Tinklin, who ended up getting trapped in the corner of the ring.

Punch after punch then rained down, Tinklin and Szabo knocking seven bells out of each other until the bell brought the frenetic passage of to and fro to a brief halt.

The fight continued to go one way and the other, but Tinklin did enough in the eyes of referee Martin Williams to edge it by one round.

Meanwhile, the five St Joseph’s boxers on the bill, including Gwynne, gave trainer Tony Borg every reason to be happy.

Lightweight Gwynne (12-1) needed less than two minutes to see off the challenge of former Olympian Abdon Cesar.

Not a lot had happened when a bolt from the blue sent Cesar to the canvas. He survived the count, but referee Chris Jones waved off the contest as Cesar appeared uninterested to carry on.

There was an even faster finish for super-lightweight Robbie Vernon in his six-rounder with Worcester journeyman Michael Mooney.

Vernon, like Tinklin, made it five in a row, pummelling Mooney in the corner until referee Jones stepped in after just 55 seconds of round one.

Welterweight Lloyd Germain is now 3-0 following a gritty but clear 40-36 points defeat of MJ Hall.

Arguably the most eye-catching display of the night came from featherweight Joshua John (2-0).

His clever footwork and quick hands were just too much for Kent’s Ricky Leach, without a win since May 2017.

Middleweight Jordan Withers also collected a second victory in the pro ranks thanks to a 40-35 cruise against Victor Edagha.

London-based Edagha offered very little, and it was his rather ungainly and awkward style that gave Withers the most problems.

However, teenager Withers did everything coach Borg would have wanted, while he floored his opponent in the fourth round.

Edagha looked very unsteady on his feet but referee Reece Carter gave him the benefit of the doubt to keep going to the end.