JACKSON Page bowed out of the ManBetX Welsh Open in Cardiff after losing a topsy-turvy first-round clash with world number eight Kyren Wilson, whose 4-3 victory featured a magnificent 147.

Ebbw Vale’s Page, ranked 90 places below his opponent, had fought back from 2-0 down to lead 3-2 in the best-of-seven encounter, before the Englishman took the contest to a decider.

A break of 59 saw Wilson prevail, with his win dashing 18-year-old Page’s hopes of joining Cwm cueman and practice partner Mark Williams in the next round.

Former German Masters champion Wilson couldn’t have dreamed of a better start to his campaign in the capital.

After Page broke, he rattled in 15 reds with blacks and then the colours to light up the Motorpoint Arena.

Wilson didn’t look in any trouble throughout his maximum, controlling the cue ball perfectly from the first red to the final black.

The second frame wasn’t so eye-catching as both players struggled to find any sort of rhythm, but Wilson took it to double his advantage.

Teenager Page, who enjoyed a run to the third round in 2017 aged just 15, needed to find a way back into the match, and he did just that in the third frame.

Wilson got in first but missed a regulation black, before Page built a 28-point lead, only to pay the price for a poor positional shot when potting a red.

The deficit was reduced to nine points when Page inadvertently struck the pink as he attempted a swerve shot.

Luckily for Page, it was a mistake that didn’t prove costly, and the Gwent potter closed out the frame with a run of 34.

Page knew the next frame was a pivotal one, and he did just about enough to claim it, although he did his best not to.

He needed several attempts to get over the line, the last of which came after Wilson had rattled the pink in the jaws of the pocket.

Another missed pink – this one was much easier – saw Wilson waste a superb opportunity to go 3-2 ahead.

Page jumped at the chance to seize the initiative, compiling a break of 65 to put one foot in the second round.

But Wilson wasn’t going to slip away quietly, and he promptly levelled the match at 3-3 by taking the penultimate frame.

The run of the balls at the start of the decider appeared to be with the Welshman, however, the first real chance fell to Wilson and he took it.