POOR weather continued to impact the South East Wales Cricket League 40-over Competition, but the ball dominated the bat in the games that did go ahead.

Newport's poor run continued at the hands of big city rivals Cardiff, the Spytty Park side going down by six wickets.

The ever reliable Michael Clayden fell just short of his 50 while young Harry Friend contributed 38 to side's total of 170.

Openers James Meggitt and Umar Malik put on 44 for the first wicket and after they were both dismissed, Mujahid Ilyas saw Cardiff through to a six-wicket victory with an unbeaten 53.

In the other match in the group, St Fagans’ Owain Hopkins's late 24 gave Bridgend a target of 166 on a challenging pitch at the Newbridge Fields.

Opener Sam Wood fought his way to 58 with some resolute batting and the home team reached their target with four balls to spare with captain Tom Baker hitting an unbeaten 32.

In Pool One, David Griffiths with led the way for the way for Malpas with 4 for 19 to bowl a disappointing Cowbridge out for just 108.

This target was revised to 101 due to a rain stoppage and Ryan Ward with 28 and Lewis Morgan (24) saw them comfortably home by four wickets.

In the other game in the group, Newbridge had sweet revenge over Penarth at the Athletic Ground with Travis Morgan, Nathan Millichip, Alex Horton and Will Davey all contributing in a total of 180.

The home team were never in contention and only a patient 44 by Jamie Hitchin delayed the inevitable as they were dismissed for just 120.

Pool Two saw just one game where Chepstow defeated local rivals Sudbrook in a low-scoring affair. Having been put into bat, Chepstow struggled to 119 off 38 overs with Gareth Ansell scoring 47 off 85 balls.

In reply, the visitors found runs equally difficult to come by and wickets fell at regular intervals with James Hussey top scoring with18 in a score of 92.

At Croesyceiliog, visitors Lisvane were soon regretting their decision to bat having won the toss and were dismissed for 80 with captain Ryan Avery leading the way 4 for 15.

His fine day continued as he scored 20 of the required runs and an unbeaten 34 from Conor Miles saw them safely home.

In Cardiff, Llandaff were dismissed for 128 which Radyr reached for the loss of four wickets with Vanos scoring 74, one of the highest individual score of the day.

In Pool Seven only Ollie Waterhouse (36) & Scott Jeffries (10) reached double figures as Ponthir struggle to 98.

A solid scorecard by Lisvane Seconds saw them to a six-wicket victory with Miles Murphy leading the way with 25.

Monkswood also won their game by six wickets having dismissed Chepstow Seconds for 106. Mike Jones saw them well on the way to success with a fine 48.

The highest score of the day was achieved at Newport Thirds where the home team rattled up 255 off their allocated overs and at tea probably thought their day was done.

Machen, however, had different ideas and Gareth Jones & Rhydian Knox put on 89 for the first wicket.

When Jones was dismissed it brought Rhys Mellor to the crease and he struck a fine unbeaten 78 to see his side home with three overs to spare.