WALES will hunt a Triple Crown against England in a fortnight thanks to the finishing of wing sensation Louis Rees-Zammit and another red card.

Wayne Pivac’s men made it two from two in the Six Nations by edging out Scotland 25-24 in a cracker at Murrayfield.

Six days after Peter O’Mahony saw red for Ireland after a dangerous ruck clearout, Zander Fagerson was dismissed for the same offence after 53 minutes with the Scots leading 17-15.

The prop clattered into Wyn Jones and while it was a tad more unlucky than the Irish dismissal, there was contact to the head at the breakdown.

South Wales Argus:

That allowed Wales to edge in front, then lose the lead and regain it again before another nervy finale against 14 men.

Scotland, buoyed by their stunning Calcutta Cup win against England at Twickenham, hit the front through tries by wing Darcy Graham and full-back Stuart Hogg to lead 17-3.

Wales responded either side of half-time through wing Rees-Zammit and full-back Liam Williams before the red card.

Wyn Jones then powered over from close range to put Wales in front for the first time since the opening exchanges only for Hogg to go over for his second after 64 minutes.

Wales needed to respond – and did when Rees-Zammit produced a stunning score down the right, chipping and gathering.

They still needed a last-gasp tap tackle by Owen Watkin, who was at fault for the third Scottish try, to deny Edinburgh speedster Duhan van der Merwe with the clock in the red.


However, it was all about results for Pivac in his second Six Nations and while a big improvement is needed, they will be in the title shake-up after finishing with just Italy beneath them last time out.

Wales made a bright start and went ahead through the boot of Leigh Halfpenny only for Finn Russell to cancel the penalty out.

The Scots then took command with a quickfire brace from kicks, the first superb and the second speculative.

Scrum-half Ali Price dinked over the top for wing Graham to race over after 18 minutes and then on 24 Halfpenny made a mess of Hogg’s chip into the 22 to gift the Scotland captain a try.

Russell’s two conversions made it 17-3 and Wales needed to strike next, which they did on the stroke of half-time.

A penalty was kicked to the corner and, playing with advantage, Rees-Zammit was put over down the right after good work by on-loan Dragons centre Nick Tompkins, who had been shifted to the wing after a head injury to Halfpenny that had led to a debut for centre Willis Halaholo.

Biggar’s conversion drifted wide and the fly-half wasted a chance to further chip away at the nine-point lead when he missed touch with a penalty soon after the restart.

Wales then had a swing of fortune with the hosts denied as they hunted a third when Scott Cummings was guilty of blocking as Gary Graham powered over the line.

South Wales Argus:

From being close to being out of it, the visitors were back within a score thanks to Williams’ 51st minute try.

A powerful drive did the damage then the ball was shifted to the left were the roles were reversed, Rees-Zammit putting his fellow speedster over.

That was followed by Fagerson’s dismissal and a close-range try by Jones, fresh from being struck at the ruck.

Back came the Scots and a slip by Watkin allowed Hogg to dart over down the right with Russell converting excellently to make it 24-20.

Wales needed a try and Rees-Zammit provided it with a sensational chip and gather down the right flank before desperate late defence secured the win.