NEWPORT County AFC have lost another short trip after a dramatic last day of the League Two season.

The Exiles already knew that they would no longer be heading to Forest Green Rovers in Gloucestershire and Exeter City in Devon, a journey that is relatively short.

It looked like Northampton would be joining them in League One but the Cobblers will now enter the play-offs despite a 3-1 win at Barrow.

Bristol Rovers snatched third on goals scored after a 7-0 win over hapless Scunthorpe.

A nightmare season on the road in 2022/23 will be completed if Swindon go up through the play-offs.

Doncaster, Crewe, AFC Wimbledon and Gillingham are dropping down from League One while all of the National League promotion contenders are from the midlands up.

A second-half goal rush sparked wild celebrations at the Memorial Stadium in Bristol, where play was suspended for 16 minutes following a pitch invasion from jubilant fans.

An own goal from Scunthorpe midfielder Oliver Lobley gave the hosts the lead after 18 minutes and Connor Taylor headed in another before the break.


Bristol Rovers Aaron Collins celebrating promotion to the Sky Bet League One following the Sky Bet League Two match at the Memorial Stadium, Bristol. Picture date: Saturday May 7, 2022.

Bristol Rovers' Aaron Collins celebrating promotion to the Sky Bet League One following the Sky Bet League Two match at the Memorial Stadium, Bristol. Picture date: Saturday May 7, 2022.


Aaron Collins' 20-yard drive made it 3-0 after 53 minutes and Anthony Evans soon added a fourth.

Midfielder Evans scored a fine free-kick with 15 minutes left before former County striker Collins tapped home a sixth and Elliot Anderson nodded in number seven with just five minutes left – which saw Rovers fans spill onto the pitch.

Following a lengthy delay, which also saw manager Joey Barton address the crowd to call for calm, the Pirates saw out the closing stages to secure the most dramatic of promotions.

Bristol Rovers' jubilation meant heartbreak for Northampton, won had won 3-1 at Barrow but must now pick themselves up for the play-offs.

A brace from Sam Hoskins either side of Fraser Horsfall's header had put the Cobblers in control.

The Bluebirds pulled a goal back when Josh Kay nodded in a minute before the break.

Northampton finished with 10 men following a late red for goalkeeper Liam Roberts when he handled the ball outside the area, which will see him suspended in the first leg of the play-off semi-final against Mansfield.

Exeter had topped the table after Forest Green lost last weekend to Harrogate.

The Grecians, though, were beaten 1-0 at home by Port Vale, who secured their place in the play-offs following a first-half goal from James Wilson.

Forest Green drew 2-2 at Mansfield, which was enough to give them the title on goal difference.

Matty Longstaff fired the Stags into a first-half lead, before Ebou Adams hauled Rovers level just after the hour.

Jordan Bowery had Mansfield in front again with 12 minutes to go, but Josh March struck a swift equaliser not long after being sent on, which proved enough to secure a crucial point and with it the championship.

Swindon ended the campaign in sixth place after a 3-0 victory at Walsall.

Harry McKirdy's 19th goal of the season put the Robins into an early lead with Jack Payne adding a double, the second from the penalty spot, ahead of half-time to secure a fourth straight victory.

Sutton just missed out on the play-offs by a point despite a 2-0 win at Harrogate with goals in each half from Craig Eastmond and Isaac Olaofe.

Tranmere finished two points off the top seven after Kane Hemmings' goal late in the first half gave them a 1-0 win at Leyton Orient.

Relegated Oldham drew 3-3 against Crawley at Boundary Park, where there had been protests before the match against owner Abdallah Lemsagam.

Jack Stobbs put the hosts ahead before David Keillor-Dunn swiftly made it 2-0.

Crawley – who parted company with manager John Yems following an investigation into claims he used discriminatory language and behaviour against his own players – levelled before the break through George Francomb and James Tilley.

Jordan Clarke had Oldham in front again on the hour, but Aramide Oteh levelled things up again with 20 minutes left as the Latics saw their 115-year stay in the Football League come to an end.

Elsewhere, goals from Lee Angol and Jamie Walker helped Bradford sign off with a 2-0 home win over Carlisle.

John Akinde and Chay Cooper were on target as Colchester finished the campaign with a 2-0 win at Hartlepool.

Stevenage came from behind to beat Salford 4-2 at the Lamex Stadium.