DRAGONS 14 GLASGOW 20 NEWPORT Gwent Dragons saw their hopes of gaining automatic qualification for next season's Heineken Cup shot to pieces when they were beaten by Glasgow in a low-key Magners League clash at Rodney Parade yesterday.

The Dragons trailed 10-0, but rallied to lead 14-10 at the interval only to lose it in the second half, paying the ultimate price for Aled Thomas missing three comfortable penalty attempts.

A losing bonus point was no consolation and the Dragons must beat Connacht at home on April 16 or they may not even make the Heineken qualifier.

The Dragons made the early running, Richard Fussell and Rhodri Davies combining well, but Thomas missed two kickable penalty shots, the second striking an upright.

Joe Bearman rescued the Dragons when he ankle tapped Glasgow hooker Dougie Hall as he was breaking clear and they had another let-off when Kevin Morgan had a clearance attempt charged down only for the ball to roll over the deadball line, evading onrushing flanker Kelly Brown.

But Glasgow stormed ahead when wing Thom Evans finished off a flowing move by crossing wide out for a try which Dan Parks converted.

Parks added a penalty but Thomas made some amends with two successful kicks before the Dragons scored a cracking try.

They took a strike against the head, Luke Charteris won a line-out cleanly at the tail, centres Ashley Smith and Rhodri Davies combined and Morgan was up in support to send Gareth Wyatt streaking down the wing for an unconverted try and a one point lead.

Lovely handling moments later looked to have set up another try on the opposite flank only for Davies to drop a likely scoring pass, but Thomas landed his third penalty with the last kick of the half.

Thomas missed a sitter five minutes into the second half, made worse when Parks put one over from similar range and, sure enough, Glasgow regained the lead after an hour.

Parks put in a pin-point kick from way out on the left over Bearman's head on the right where Evans gathered to pounce for a second try which Parks converted in style.

Coach Paul Turner made five changes to try to fire the spluttering Dragons, but it was to no avail.

Dragons: K Morgan (M Thomas 63), G Wyatt, R Davies, A Smith (P Emerick 63), R Fussell, A Thomas, A Williams (W Evans 58), D Pattison (G Robinson 69), S Jones (B Daly 58), R Thomas, A Jones, L Charteris (P Sidoli 74), J Bearman, C Charvis (captain), J Ringer (M Owen 58).

Scorers - tries: G Wyatt; penalties: A Thomas (3) Glasgow: B Stortoni, T Evans, G Morrison, D Gibson, captain (S Barrow 49), M Evans (H O'Hare 69), D Parks, S Pinder, J Va'a (E Kalman 53), D Hall (F Thomson 53), M Low, O Palepoi (J Eddie 72), D Turner, K Brown, J Beattie, J Barclay.

Scorers - tries: T Evans, (2); conversions: D Parks (2); penalties: Parks (2).

Referee: A Rolland (Ireland) Attendance: 5,949.