GLAMORGAN’S Callum Taylor made a magnificent unbeaten century as Newport extended their lead at the top of the South Wales Premier Cricket League.

An unbroken 164-run third wicket partnership saw the Spytty Park club ease to a vital win against a Swansea side who have their own aspirations of winning the league title.

With just two points separating the two teams before the game it was always going to be a vital game and both teams got good news when third-placed St Fagans were rained off at Ammanford.

The day started on a good note for both teams, with news that third-placed St Fagans, were rained off at Ammanford.

Swansea captain Brad Wadlan won the toss and had no hesitation in batting but the visitors were soon reduced to 44-4.

Tegh Sehgal getting the first wicket, Taylor striking twice (including the prize wicket of Wadlan) and Don Aberwardena the other.

Fifth wicket pair of Cameron Hemp and Gareth Hayden dug in and began to build a very useful partnership but the partnership of 120 was broken just as they were looking to up the run rate.

Ilyas removed them both and then claimed another two to end with 4-61, Swansea’s inning ending on 209-9 off their 50 overs.

Newport lost Harry Friend for three on 14-1 but that led to the arrival of all-rounder Taylor, last year’s SWPCL leading run scorer with a mind-blowing 976 league runs (averaging over 81).

He had to battle gallantly to begin with as the Swansea attack looked for a further breakthrough but had the perfect foil at the other end with Mike Clayden again looking solid in helping to blunt the opening attack.

However, just as Newport were getting on top a mix-up led to Clayden being run out for 21 with the Newport score on 45-2 off 15 overs.

At this stage the game was very much in the balance and captain Morgan Bevans joined Taylor and the pair began to dig in.

With runs difficult to come by, the pair knew the importance of a solid partnership and at the drinks break they had put on 82 off 25 overs.

Taylor was beginning to play more aggressively and Bevans was happy to support him with good running between the wickets and 'no risk' cricket.

Taylor was looking very impressive, reaching his 50 in the 29th over off 73 balls, and Newport had moved their total to 105-2 off 30 overs with a close finish was looking on the cards.

Swansea tried everything to break the partnership but the Newport batsmen held firm and runs were beginning to flow more freely, and the fielders were looking somewhat dejected.

It was time for Newport to press their advantage home, Taylor switched gears and took charge of the situation and Bevans soon followed.

In the next 10 overs Newport took the game away from Swansea with boundaries to all parts of the ground taking the score to 172-2 off 40 overs.

With just 38 runs required the game was nearly done; Bevans had reached his own 50 and the pair could enjoy themselves, the only question being could Taylor reach his century.

Of course he would, with just 10 needed to win the match and 10 to reach his milestone he played two magnificent shots, a straight 6 which sailed over the long off boundary and a perfectly guided leg glance for four.

Bevans had provided superb support, ending with a fantastic 76 not out, which included seven fours in 93 balls, and Taylor a majestic innings of 102 not out which included seven fours and two sixes in 117 balls.

Newport’s eight-wicket win put them 16 points clear of Swansea and 18 ahead of St Fagans with just four games remaining.

Newport travel to Ynystawe this weekend then host Bridgend, travel to Cardiff and finish against Neath while St Fagans entertain Swansea in a key fixture on August 12.