THE Dragons conceded a record number of points for a United Rugby Championship game when hammered 69-14 by the 10-try Sharks in Durban.

The South African side, boosted by the Springbok World Cup winners, ran amok to notch a first win of the campaign.

They crossed for 10 [TEN] tries at Kings Park to inflict a record high on the Dragons, who still could have earned a four-try bonus with a bit more attacking accuracy.

The Rodney Parade club's previous URC low was the 64-3 defeat to Munster in Limerick but this eclipsed that to take second place on the wall of shame.

The worst points conceded remains the 73-33 defeat to Glasgow Warriors in the European Challenge Cup last season.

The Dragons headed to South Africa for a double-header buoyed by a derby win against the 14-man Ospreys but were brought back to earth with a bump.

Added to the heavy loss, they lost back row forward Ollie Griffiths, fly-half Will Reed and full-back Cai Evans to injury.

That leaves them extremely short at 10 given that Angus O'Brien is already out with a fractured forearm and centre Steff Hughes had to pull the strings in Durban.

They now need to lick their wounds before another daunting date against the Lions, who are fresh from a 61-19 destruction of Zebre.

"The boys worked hard, showed real energy and enthusiasm, but did so as individuals," said head coach Dai Flanagan. 

"We need to curb that and work on how to do all those things collectively. When you face a team with this quality of players then they are going to punish you.

"Rugby is a game of momentum and it takes a lot to stop it when it's against you."

South Wales Argus: Aneurin Owen on the burst for the Dragons against the SharksAneurin Owen on the burst for the Dragons against the Sharks (Image: Huw Evans Agency)

The Sharks ran in 10 tries through doubles from Aphelele Fassi and Grant Williams and further scores from Makazole Mapimpi, Werner Kok, Eben Etzebeth, Phepsi Buthelezi, Lappies Labuschagne and Lukhanyo Am.

Curwin Bosch landed five penalties and a conversion with Boeta Chamberlain converting three tries.

Dane Blacker and Rio Dyer responded for the Dragons, with Cai Evans and Rhodri Williams adding the extras.

Bosch kicked an early penalty before the first try came as a clean lineout win opened up the Dragons defence and Fassi slid over and quick hands from another Sharks break saw Mapimpi dive over in the corner for a second.

But the Dragons rallied and they found a hole in the Sharks’ back line before a pass inside saw scrum-half Blacker coast in for a score under the posts.

Kok then held onto a superb offload to stretch the Sharks’ lead and moments later their dominance told as a quick tap penalty helped Etzebeth go over for the bonus-point score.

Another lineout win created space for the Sharks and, as the Dragons were cut wide open, Williams had the easiest of tasks to slide over.

But the Dragons would not lie down and back they came as Dyer collected the ball from the kick-off to go over in the corner.

That was as good as it got for the Rodney Parade club as the relentless South Africans cut through their defences.

Buthelezi powered over after yet more dominant play and soon after Williams scythed through the Dragons defence before flipping the ball up to Labuschagne to coast over.

As the Dragons tired, the Sharks made hay as Williams, Fassi and Am put the icing on the cake with three tries in five minutes.