THE young Dragons were prominent as Wales Under-20s got their Six Nations campaign off to a winning start against Scotland.

The Welsh youngsters triumphed 37-29 in a cracking 11-try encounter in Colwyn Bay to set up Friday’s trip to Bath perfectly.

Dragons centre Harri Ackerman, captaining the side in the absence of injured clubmate Ryan Woodman, went over for a try along with fellow Rodney Parade prospects Huw Anderson and Walker Price (2).

Number eight Morgan Morse, named as man of the match, and Rhodri Lewis also crossed to ensure Richard Whiffin’s tenure started with a win.

“It's the first time since 2018 we've won the opening game so it was really nice to get back in the changing room and celebrate a win,” said Ackerman.

“"It's a massive game next week and we don't to rally the boys, Wales versus England is one that you think about as a kid and it's even more of an honour to captain the side."

Six Dragons featured with full-back Anderson and winger Price joined in the back three by Harry Rees-Weldon, who showed skill to go along with his power when chipping through for Lewis’ clincher.

Prop Jordan Thomas and lock Nick Thomas started up front with Ebbw Vale back rower Owen Conquer coming on for a debut at the death.

South Wales Argus: OPENER: Dragons full-back Huw Anderson scores for Wales U20s against ScotlandOPENER: Dragons full-back Huw Anderson scores for Wales U20s against Scotland (Image: Huw Evans Agency)

Scotland’s driving lineout caused problems with a pair of first-half tries but Wales responded on both occasions for tries by Anderson, after superb work by the midfield combination of Louis Hennessey and Ackerman, and Price before impressive Osprey Morse earned a 20-10 lead.

However, the Scots came back at their hosts to go 24-20 in front early in the second half only for Ackerman to hit a nice line in the 22.

The Scots bounce back again but the game swung on prop Alex O’Driscoll’s yellow card for a deliberate knock-on with 10 minutes to go.

A wide pass put Price over down the left and then Lewis finished late on after Rees-Weldon’s assist.