NEWPORT County striker Dave Gilroy has joined Weston-super-Mare on a one month loan deal.

The frontman swaps places with Ashan Holgate who has completed his permanent move from Weston to the Exiles.

The Argus understands that Gilroy remains in manager Dean Holdsworth’s long-term plans and that the move is seen as a chance for the player to regain his fitness and confidence having been kept out of the side by the red-hot Craig Reid and Sam Foley.

Veteran Kevin Cooper has also left Spytty Park, but Holgate, Swansea City youngster Kerry Morgan and defender Alton Thelwell could all be in line for their first starts at St Albans on Saturday.

Former Tottenham Hotspur defender Thelwell, who made his debut as a second half substitute in last Saturday’s FA Cup exit at Paulton Rovers, is convinced that the squad is good enough to win promotion this season.

And despite that shock defeat in Somerset, the 29-year-old, who trained with his new team-mates for the first time on Tuesday, has seen enough to predict a successful campaign ahead.

“Last Saturday was obviously disappointing but that can happen in the FA Cup,” said Thelwell.

“Fans shouldn’t get too down over one result – the table doesn’t lie and this is obviously a very talented squad.

“We are top of the league and playing well,” he added. “The season has started well and the club is hugely ambitious to get back into the league.

“Hopefully I can help in that goal and with the players here I believe we will have success.”

Thelwell started as a trainee at Spurs, playing close to 20 first team games, including an FA Cup semi-final, before moving on to Hull City and Leyton Orient and won an England under-21 cap alongside the likes of Joe Cole and Ledley King in 2001.

He is on a week-to-week deal at Spytty Park after being convinced to drop down to the Blue Square South by Holdsworth after training with the manager’s brother at Mansfield.

“Since leaving Orient in May I’ve had trials at Bournemouth, MK Dons, Gillingham and Mansfield but for various reasons they couldn’t sign me,” said Thelwell.

“I had a chat with Dean last week and he was very positive about what they are trying to do here.

“I was impressed and it all happened very quickly. The next thing I knew I was on the bench last week and on the pitch after an hour.

“It was good to dust my boots off and I think I did well,” he added. “Injury has played a big part in my career but I’m clear of that now hopefully.

“I want to get playing again and enjoying my football after so long out of it and when I get my match fitness back and get stronger the Newport fans will see the best of me.”