Newport Gwent Dragons got their Heineken Cup campaign back on track when they beat Celtic rivals Glasgow for the second time in a month at Rodney Parade last night, though they just failed to get the bonus point again.

They played some breathtaking rugby at times against a fired up Scottish team and skipper Luke Charteris and Adam Jones both scored tries, the first time in the Dragons’ brief history that both locks had crossed the whitewash in the same game.

The pacey Martyn Thomas also scored a try in a full-blooded clash - though the Dragons suffered yet another prop casualty when debut making Phil Price damaged his knee again.

Big young blindside Dan Lydiate, who must have impressed watching Wales coach Warren Gatland, won the man of the match award for the second game running while acting captain Luke Charteris was outstanding and Peter Bracken stabilised the scrum.

Thomas was a constant danger at full back, Wayne Evans impressed and after their narrow setback at Gloucester, this victory will set the Dragons up for their Biarritz double in December.

The Dragons took the field to flames and firecrackers as the atmosphere was ratcheted up, but they made a nervy start and they weren’t helped when James Arlidge put a kickable penalty wide and then Martyn Thomas knocked on when well placed.

Glasgow had a chance to snatch the lead, but Dan Parks sent a long range penalty shot wide and Arlidge cleared.

The Dragons got some momentum when Rhodri Davies broke out of defence and when the ball came back Martyn Thomas sliced through in some style and when the ball was recycled again Adam Jones almost charged through on the left.

But Glasgow gave away a penalty which Arlidge put into touch, the correct decision because it led to the opening score of the game.

¸Adam Jones leapt to win the line-out and when the pack drove it right to the line the lock emerged from under a pile of bodies for the try which Arlidge converted.

Glasgow lost scrum half Chris Cusiter with a back injury and when the Dragons broke out of defence Aled Brew was clearly held back, but the referee took no action much to the annoyance of the crowd.

The Scots were by no means out of it, though, and after a strong run by centre Graeme Morrison they drew level when No 8 John Beattie strode through an inviting gap left by opposite number Lewis Evans and over for a try between the posts which Parks converted.

They threatened again when Will Harries fumbled and Parks looked clear only to knock on. But they lost Beattie, who was yellow carded for trampling in a ruck and within two minutes the Dragons regained the lead when Arlidge dropped a smart goal.

Parks was wide with another long range effort but the Dragons launched a big attack, Brew, Martyn and Gavin Thomas, Bracken and Lydiate all handling.

And they made their one-man advantage count when Harries broke clear down the wing, hooker Steve Jones was up in support and he sent acting captain Charteris powering through a tackle and over the line for a try.

But the Dragons lost Price, replaced by Hugh Gustafson, as their prop woes continued.

But though Beattie was now back the Dragons scored a wonderful try when they opened out from almost on their own line.

Brew opted to go for it rather than play safe and he was handsomely rewarded as Davies swept on, the impressive Lydiate smashed through and when scrum half Wayne Evans kicked over the top Martyn Thomas easily won the race for the touchdown, Arlidge converting for a 22-7 interval lead.

But the Dragons lost Lydiate five minutes into the second half when he was yellow carded for an illegal tackle. The Dragons were now falling foul of the French referee who called Charteris over and warned him firmly about players going over the top.

It was all Glasgow and they had the Dragons in trouble at a series of scrums with a one-man advantage and replacement prop Kevin Tkachuk charged through for a try which Parks converted - just as Lydiate returned.

The Dragons, with Rob Sidoli and Hoani MacDonald on, worked up a head of steam again, though Davies spoiled a good run by ignoring the unmarked Harries outside him.

Richard Fussell also went on as the Dragons went in search of a bonus point, but it was Glasgow who looked the more likely with time running out though the Dragons well deserved their win, Parks firing wide for the third time in the match during injury time.

Newport Gwent Dragons: M Thomas, A Brew, R Davies (J Tovey 80), A Smith, W Harries (R Fussell 67), J Arlidge, W Evans, P Price, S Jones, P Bracken, A Jones (R Sidoli 56), L Charteris (captain), D Lydiate, L Evans (H MacDonald 58),, G Thomas.

Scorers Ô-- tries: A Jones, L Charteris, M Thomas; conversions: J Arlidge (2); dropped goal: Arlidge.

Glasgow: B Stortoni (P Horne 73), C Shaw, D McCall (H O’Hare 61), G Morrison, T Evans, D Parks, C Cusiter (C Gregor 14), J Welsh (K Tkachuk 40), D Hall (P MacArthur 57), M Low (E Kalman 78), T Barker (D Turner 48), A Kellock (captain), R Vernon (K Brown 48), J Beattie, J Barclay.

Scorers -- tries: J Beattie, K Tkachuk; conversions: D Parks (2).

Referee: Romain Poite (France).

Attendance: 6,119.