NEWPORT County added to their growing reputation as the comeback kings after securing a stunning 3-2 victory against Northwich Victoria on Saturday.

And it was that man Jake Harris who kept their Wembley dream alive with two vital goals as County fought back from 2-0 down to reach the last four in the FA Trophy.

The super sub rescued the Exiles after a dreadful performance for the first hour threatened to end their hopes of emulating neighbours Cardiff City in securing a cup final appearance at the national stadium.

And it was Bluebirds striker Nat Jarvis, on loan at County until the end of the season, who completed the turnaround in the 89th minute with a delicious diving header.

The result was cruel on homeless Northwich, who were forced to stage this match at Macclesfield Town’s Moss Rose Ground after being evicted from their Victoria Stadium home last month.

They were simply superb for the first 60 minutes and could easily have been three or four goals to the good before the introduction of substitutes Harris, Paul Rodgers and Darryl Knights changed the game.

Anyone expecting an easy ride against the part-timers from the Evo-Stik Northern Premier League was in for a nasty shock.

The first half was totally dominated by Northwich and they thoroughly deserved the 2-0 lead given to them by captain Ian Kearney on 36 minutes and outstanding winger Ryan Wade just after the break.

Paul Simpson, in charge of the Vics for the last time, certainly got his side pumped up for this quarter-final, while a sloppy and lethargic County didn’t seem up for the challenge at all.

Manager Justin Edinburgh had talked beforehand about going into the match with the right attitude against a side two steps below his side on the league ladder.

But they simply couldn’t cope with their hosts’ hugely impressive front five for most of the match.

David Pipe failed to convince at right-back and was given a torrid time by Wade on the left wing.

On the other flank, Wayne Riley had the better of Lee Baker and in the middle Michael Roddy and Nathan Woolfe sliced open the Exiles defence at will to create chance after chance for main striker Chris Budrys.

He misjudged a header in the very first minute after beating Glyn Thompson to the cross and that set the tone for the half.

Riley and Woolfe both wasted good opportunities as the Exiles failed to produce anything of note in the attacking third.

Riley had the ball in the net ten minutes before the break, only to be denied by the linesman’s flag.

But the let-off lasted barely 60 seconds for County as captain Kearney scrambled the ball home from Wade’s corner.

Edinburgh brought on Rodgers for the unlucky Elliott Buchanan at half-time and pushed Pipe into his more natural midfield role.

But any hope of a second-half recovery seemed to be ended just three minutes in as Wade scored an absolute screamer.

The former Skelmersdale wide man picked up the ball on the right and ran at Baker, who backed off and backed off and watched as Wade cracked the ball into the top corner of Thompson’s goal from the edge of the area.

With the Wembley dream dying Edinburgh called for super-sub Harris and, just like at Gateshead last month, the youngster delivered once again.

Climbing highest at the far post, he headed Baker's free-kick past Ben Hinchliffe in the home goal to give his side a lifeline on the hour.

It was almost 2-2 a minute later as Hinchliffe threw the ball into his own net under pressure, but he was adjudged to have been fouled by Lee Minshull.

County pressed hard with a sense of urgency that was completely absent before the break.

And, just when it seemed that the tiring Vics had weathered the storm and would deservedly hang on, that man Harris struck again.

Lee Minshull picked him out at the far post with an intelligent header across the box and the 21-year-old poked home to spark huge celebrations on the County bench and in the away end.

All the substitutes and staff ran on to the pitch in jubilation before recovering their composure and retreating to the technical area.

Because, with five minutes still on the clock, that wasn’t the end of the drama.

Making up for a disappointing display at the back, Baker rampaged down the left in the very last minute and fired over a perfect cross for Jarvis to win the match with a diving header straight out of the Roy of the Rovers storybook.

Northwich Victoria: Hinchliffe, Disney (Evans, 90), Fitzpatrick, Collins, Kearney, Field, Riley, Roddy, Budrys (Clarke, 76), Woolfe, Wade (Armstrong, 85).

Subs not used: Short, Smyth.

County: Thompson, Baker, Hughes, Yakubu, Pipe, Minshull, Chapman (Knights, 66), Foley, Rose (Harris, 53), Buchanan (Rodgers, 45), Jarvis.

Subs not used: Potter, Greening.

Booked: Jarvis Referee: J.Simpson Attendance: 601