LEE Selby is still the IBF world featherweight champion after easily outpointing Jonathan Barros at Wembley Arena on an emotional night for the St Joseph’s star.

Fighting just four days since the sudden death of his mother Frankie, Selby defended the title for a third time with an almost flawless display in London.

The ringside judges scored the bout 119-108, 117-110 and 117-110 in the Welshman’s favour, underlining just how dominant he was over the course of the 12 rounds.

Selby had tears in his eyes as he dedicated the victory to his late mum during a post-fight television interview.

South Wales Argus:

“To be honest, it doesn’t seem real,” he told ITV Box Office.

“Because I’ve been away from home, I told my team not to mention anything, to pretend as if nothing has happened.

“I turned my phone off, haven’t spoken to my brother or my father.

“The emotions going through me before the fight, if I’d told anyone I would have been strapped up in a straitjacket, if I’d told people what I was thinking.

“I got the win and I dedicate it to my mother.”

The showdown with experienced Argentine Barros, a former world champion himself, should have taken place in Las Vegas six months ago.

However, Barros, 33, failed to meet the licensing requirements of the Nevada State Athletic Commission and Selby’s dream fight was called off at the 11th hour.

Making his first title defence in 15 months, the Tony Borg-trained boxer certainly made up for lost time tonight.

Utilising his jab to good effect from the off, Selby bossed proceedings, with his footwork and work rate proving too much for Barros.

The Welshman finished the first round strongly and built on that in the second courtesy of a good left to the body and then a right to the head.

Barros went low in the third before being on the receiving end of a cracking right from the champion.

South Wales Argus:

After losing his gum shield early in the fourth, Barros took a right cross and strong left, but landed a crisp shot to Selby’s ribs in the fifth.

And it was in the fifth that a clash of heads resulted in a nasty cut above Selby’s right eye, although luckily it didn’t have any lasting damage.

Round six saw both men complain to referee Steve Gray about use of the head, with Barros’ corner protesting vehemently to the official in the seventh.

A lovely left jab that stopped Barros in his tracks was the highlight of round nine, while a hook to the body of the South American caught the eye in the 10th.

It was classy stuff from Selby in the penultimate round as he made Barros fall short and then countered.

Selby’s fitness showed in the last and with just over a minute left Barros was down on the canvas, the result of a short left hook to the chin.

South Wales Argus:

Barros made the count but was holding on as the bell sounded, Selby piling on the pressure in search of a stoppage.