NEWPORT County AFC saw their six-game winning streak against Cambridge United come to an end as their latest trip to Abbey Stadium produced a stalemate.

The 0-0 draw did see Michael Flynn’s men extend their longest unbeaten run in the Football League since November 1983 to 12 games.

County haven’t lost a regular-season game since their late defeat at Northampton Town on March 12.

But, while a point away from home in difficult conditions is never a bad result, this might go down as a missed opportunity for the visitors.

With club captain Mark O’Brien absent, Flynn named the same starting XI that earned a 2-2 draw at home to Mansfield Town last week.

And they started in confident mood with Padraig Amond firing into the side netting, Danny McNamara shooting high and wide and Robbie Willmott seeing an effort deflected just past the post.

Jamille Matt also headed straight at Dimitar Mitov after a rapid break upfield from Willmott.

The tide turned after McNamara scythed down Dan Jones and was lucky to escape with a yellow card.

Jabo Ibehre stabbed a shot wide from close range and Luke Hannant went close with a deflected effort that just crept past Tom King’s near post.

The Exiles had to soak up a bit of pressure, but they ended the first half of top once again.

Joss Labadie volleyed just wide and, after Kyle Knoyle was forced off for the hosts, a series of corners from Matty Dolan and Willmott failed to produce a breakthrough for County.

South Wales Argus:

Haynes, who led the team out at the start of the match before handing the armband to Labadie, crossed for the skipper to head goalwards after the break but it was easily gathered by Mitov.

Hannant then tested King at the other end with a 25-yarder that caught the wind and was beaten away by the County keeper.

Flynn opted to change things just after the hour, replacing Dolan with new striker Tristan Abrahams.

The former Norwich City youngster joined Matt up front with Amond dropping slightly deeper.

Last season’s top scorer still got forward, however, and he picked out Haynes with an intelligent cut-back from the right but the left-back’s shot lacked the power to trouble Mitov.

Abrahams made a decent impact in the closing stages with the highlight being a driving run into the box and cross for Amond, who volleyed over.

That was Amond’s last involvement as he was replaced by Scot Bennett as Flynn looked to halt any late Cambridge momentum after they brought on strikers Andrew Dallas and Marc Richards.

Willmott came closest to breaking the deadlock three minutes from time when his rasping shot was palmed behind by Mitov, but neither side could force a winner.

County: King; McNamara, Howkins, Demetriou, Haynes; Sheehan, Willmott, Dolan (Abrahams, 62), Labadie; Amond (Bennett, 76), Matt

Substitutes: Townsend, Leadbitter, Nurse, Maloney, Whitely

Referee: Marc Edwards

Attendance: 3,949 (224 County)

Argus star man: Demetriou