Newport East (House of Commons)
Ms Jessica Morden MP (Labour)
Surgery: 7 September 2012 13.45
Clarence House, Clarence Place, NP19 7AA
Surgery Tel: 01633 841 725
MP Since - 2005 Majority - 1,650 Born - 26/03/1968. Partner, 1 daughter.
Education - Croesyceiliog Comprehensive School. Birmingham University.
Previous Occupation - Labour Party Organiser; Political Assistant for Llew Smith MP; Constituency Assistant to Huw Edwards, MP; General Secretary, Welsh Labour Party (1999-2005). GMB member.
Personal Overview - Labour apparatchik whose victory at the 2005 General Election was assured, the people of Newport having voted for Labour fairly unswervingly since the Second World War. Given that the seat was only lost in Labour's 1983 rout the new incumbent is assured of a comfortable Commons existence. Age is on her side in terms of establishing a Commons presence prior to being selected for the front-bench, it will be for her performance to decide. Her political interests focus around anti-social behaviour. From her post as Welsh Labour Party General Secretary she organised the Welsh campaigns for the 2001 General Election and the 2003 Assembly Election. Within parliament, she has busied herself with Select Committee memberships and remains a party loyalist. Was appointed to become a PPS in 2007 in the Gorden Brown led administration, a role she carried out until the 2010 election.
Political History - - Member for Newport East (2005-). Member of the Constitutional Affairs/Justice Select Committee (2005-10). Member of the Modernisation Select Committee (2005-06). Member of the Welsh Affairs Select Committee (2005-07). PPS to Rt. Hon Peter Hain (Wales Office) (2007-08), PPS to Rt. Hon Paul Murphy (Wales Office 2008-09), to Rt. Hon Peter Hain (Wales Office) (2009-10). Member of the Welsh Affairs Select Committee (2010-12).
Characteristics - Her personal interests include the cinema and going to the gym.
Business Tel: 020 7219 6135
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Childcare (Chairman)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group for Children in Wales (Chairman)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group for Children's Media and the Arts (Member)
- Energy Intensive Industries Group (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Folk Arts (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Maternity (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Rail in Wales (Member)
- Slimming World Group (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group for the Steel and Metal Related Industry (Vice Chairman)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Suicide and Self Harm Prevention (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on the Tourism and Hospitality Industry in Wales (Vice Chairman)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Women in the Penal System (Member)
Newport West (House of Commons)
Mr Paul Flynn MP (Labour)
Surgery: Ty'r Cyffredin
Surgery Tel: 01633 262348
MP Since - 1987 Majority - 3,544 Born - 09/02/1935, 1 son, 1 daughter (deceased) from first marriage. Remarried, 1 stepson, 1 stepdaughter.
Education - St Illtyd's College, Cardiff, University College, Cardiff.
Previous Occupation - Industrial Chemist, Llanwern Steel Works (1955-82), Broadcaster for Gwent Community Radio (1983-84), Researcher for Llewellyn Smith (MEP for South Wales 1984-87). GPMU member.
Personal Overview - Has a background in industry, and experience of political research. Likely to have interests in broadcasting issues, he has remained on the Backbenches since 1990. He has been a board member of the Parliamentary Office of Science and Technology. Has shown himself willing to take an independent line and rebel against his party, he opposed the 2003 War in Iraq and voted against the 2006 Education & Inspections Bill. Suffered a mini-stroke while in the House of Commons in November 2007. Criticised the housing charity Shelter in January 2008 for not taking account of the progress being made in dealing with homelessness issues. In June 2009 he joined some other Labour back bench MPs and called on the then Prime Minister Gordon Brown to be replaced.
Political History - Councillor, Newport (1972-81). Councillor, Gwent County Council (1974-82). MP Newport West (1987-). Joint Vice-Chairman of the Daylight Extra, All Party Group. Treasurer, Health All Party Group. Social Security & Health Spokesman (1988-90). Member of the Welsh Affairs Select Committee (1997-98), Environmental Audit Select Committee (2003-05). Member of the Public Administration Select Committee (2005-). Member of the Political and Constitutional Reform Select Committee (2011-).
Characteristics - Ex-Chairman of the Broadcasting Council for Wales, ex-member of South Wales Docks Board and the Council of University College, Cardiff. Won awards for the 'New Statesman' best elected representative website (2000). Wrote 'Commons Knowledge, How to be a Backbencher' in 1997. Interests include Celtic Languages.
Business Tel: 020 7219 3478
Mr Paul Flynn MP (Labour) on Twitter
South Wales Argus has no responsibility or control over the content on external blogging sites, but you can contact us if you have a complaint.
Interests: Environment,General Trade & Industry,Housing,Foreign Affairs,Transport,Education & Training,Health,Eastern Europe
- Political and Constitutional Reform Committee (Member)
- Public Administration Committee (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Archaeology Group (Treasurer)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Asthma (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group for Cardiac Risk in the Young (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on the Chinese in Britain (Member)
- Coastal and Marine Group (Member)
- Constitution, Parliament and Citizenship Group (Member)
- Down's Syndrome Group (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Drug Misuse Group (Vice Chairman)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Drug Policy Reform (Vice Chairman)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Extraordinary Rendition (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Family Law and the Court of Protection (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Folk Arts (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group for the Prevention of Genocide and Crimes against Humanity (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Learning Disability (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Recognition of Munitions Workers (Treasurer)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on National Parks (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on New Media (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Penal Affairs Group (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Population, Development and Reproductive Health (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Spinal Cord Injury (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Taxation Group (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Involuntary Tranquilliser Addiction (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Global Tuberculosis (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary University Group (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Weapons and Protection of Civilians (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group for Women in Parliament (Member)
- British-Bulgarian Group (Member)
- Estonia Group (Member)
- British-Latvian Group (Member)
- Romania Group (Vice Chairman)
- All-Party Parliamentary Russia Group (Member)
- British-Slovenia Group (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group for Somaliland and Somalia (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Western Sahara (Member)
Wales (European Parliament)
Mr John Bufton MEP (UK Independence)
MEP Since - 2009 Born - 31/08/1962 (Llanidloes, Mid Wales). Divorced.
Education - Elan Village Primary School and Llandrindod Wells High School.
Previous Occupation - Administrator and Transport Manager for his Family Haulage Business. Has also worked as a Sales Executive,
Residential Care Home Manager (Local Authority) and Proprietor of a Retail Business. Press Officer and Public Relations Manager to Roger Knapman (former UKIP Leader and MEP).
Personal Overview - Elected at the 2009 elections from 1st place on the party's list in Wales. Has political experience at Local Government level and Prior to joining UKIP was an ex Labour Party member, served as an Independent Councillor and later as a member of the Referendum Party. Has subsequently stood for the party at both Welsh Assembly and Westminster elections. Was active during the 2004-09 European Parliamentary term as an advisor for one time party Leader Roger Knapman who was an MEP in the South West Region. Has advised the UKIP Wales Committee, advancing to become Vice Chairman of UKIP in Wales. During his election campaign he also attempted to target some of the traditional Labour anti European vote as well as support from Trade Union members.
Political History - Former Labour Party member. Councillor, Powys County Council Unitary (Independent Councillor) (1995-99). Councillor, Rhayader Town Councillor (1987-99) and former Mayor of Rhayader (1995-96). Joined UKIP (2004), prior to election associated with the Brecon & Radnor UKIP branch. General Election candidate for Sir James Goldsmiths Referendum Party (1997). Westminster By-Election candidate for Ceredigion (2000). General Election candidate (UKIP) for Monmouth (2005). Welsh Assembly candidate for Powys and Lead candidate for North Wales (2007). Local Authority candidate for Powys County Council (2008). Has been Vice Chairman of UKIP Wales. MEP Wales Region (2009-). Member of the Committee on Regional Development (2009-). Substitute member of the Committee on Agriculture and Rural Development (2009-).
Other Information - Has been a Director of Mid Wales Tourism, a Trustee Rhayader Smithfield Trust and Trustee of the Elan Valley Estate. Has been a member of the Dyfed Powys Police Liaison Committee. School Governor with Rhayader Primary School.
Intergroups - N/a.
Business Tel: 32(0)2 28 49730
Interests: Transport,Employment,Tourism & Leisure
- Regional Development (Member)
- Agriculture & Rural Development (Substitute)
Information supplied by Goveval. Send feedback to email@example.com