Campaign to save Newport art shows, backed by Michael Sheen, set for protest
3:49pm Tuesday 19th February 2013 in News
By Will Bain A CAMPAIGN to keep temporary art exhibitions in Newport, which has received star backing, will take to John Frost Square on Thursday in protest at the potential cut.
Save Newport Art, who last week gained the backing of Newport-born Hollywood actor Michael Sheen, will gather in the square from 12.30pm to demonstrate against Newport City Council’s decision to axe the exhibitions.
One of the organisers, Neil McNally, a professional artist from the city, said he hoped the protest would encourage other parties like the Welsh Government and the Arts Council to step in and help keep the exhibits.
Mr McNally, said: "I think the Welsh Assembly need to step in and have a word with the council.
"You have seen intervention from senior politicians like Harriet Harman in Newcastle and Leighton Andrews with Tafwyl festival in Cardiff which has helped lessen the impact on arts cuts in those areas and we need that here.
"There isn’t much provision for the arts in South East Wales, it seems that Newport is the ugly duckling in that regard compared to Cardiff and Swansea.
"There’s a lot of creative people in Newport but no venues.
"It seems sad when you think that in 2007 there was talk of a national contemporary arts centre being set up in Newport and now we have the situation we are in," Mr McNally said.
If you would like to sign the group’s petition visit http://chn.ge/153ectL
Comments are closed on this article.