University of Wales, Newport to be dissolved in April

University of Wales, Newport to be dissolved in April

University of Wales, Newport to be dissolved in April

First published in News
Last updated

THE University of Wales, Newport, is to be dissolved on April 11, it was announced today.

Leighton Andrews, Welsh education minister, says he has signed the order to dissolve the institutions ahead of its merger with the University of Glamorgan.

From then they will be known as the University of South Wales.

He said additional funding of £24.8 million will be made available over the next three years to enable a smooth transition.

The order will dissolve the University of Wales, Newport, and transfer its property, rights and liabilities to the Glamorgan institution.

Mr Andrews told AMs: "Having considered the institutions' business case for the merger, together with the issues raised by stakeholders and all other relevant information available, I believe that the decision to dissolve Newport and merge with Glamorgan is the right one.

"The creation of the new institution marks a significant achievement and is a big step towards meeting our commitment to establishing a smaller number of stronger universities in Wales. "I wish the University of South Wales every success."

A spokesperson for the new University said: “We are delighted that in today’s announcement the Welsh Government has taken the next formal step by laying before the National Assembly the Order required to move our legal integration forward.

"We also welcome warmly the funding that is being made available directly by the Higher Education Funding Council for Wales specifically to support the integration process.

"It is consistent with our business case which set out the steps we will take to make the new University functional and sustainable, and identified funding to support our initiative. This is a vote of confidence in the new University and in the leadership we are showing to bring about this major positive change in Welsh higher education.”

Comments (18)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

12:35pm Thu 21 Mar 13

Owain Vaughan says...

Another catastrophic mistake
Another catastrophic mistake Owain Vaughan
  • Score: 0

1:07pm Thu 21 Mar 13

Katie Re-Registered says...

"University of Wales, Newport to be dissolved in April"

Flippin' chemistry department!
"University of Wales, Newport to be dissolved in April" Flippin' chemistry department! Katie Re-Registered
  • Score: 1

1:59pm Thu 21 Mar 13

Keith P says...

Owain Vaughan wrote:
Another catastrophic mistake
Why not cal it Gwent University? :)
[quote][p][bold]Owain Vaughan[/bold] wrote: Another catastrophic mistake[/p][/quote]Why not cal it Gwent University? :) Keith P
  • Score: 0

2:04pm Thu 21 Mar 13

scoutgirl says...

and jobs going with it :-(
and jobs going with it :-( scoutgirl
  • Score: 0

2:47pm Thu 21 Mar 13

Owain Vaughan says...

Keith P wrote:
Owain Vaughan wrote:
Another catastrophic mistake
Why not cal it Gwent University? :)
This is not the time for such flippancy. Newport is losing another part of its identity and people are losing their jobs.
[quote][p][bold]Keith P[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Owain Vaughan[/bold] wrote: Another catastrophic mistake[/p][/quote]Why not cal it Gwent University? :)[/p][/quote]This is not the time for such flippancy. Newport is losing another part of its identity and people are losing their jobs. Owain Vaughan
  • Score: 0

3:03pm Thu 21 Mar 13

Ian MacKinlay says...

Katie Re-Registered wrote:
"University of Wales, Newport to be dissolved in April"

Flippin' chemistry department!
I am seriously interested in the issue of the dissolution of Newport University. I therefore inquisitavely read articles such as this, including their associated comments. I am afraid I do not understand yours..I would appreciate it therefore if you would explain what you mean and what you are getting at. Thanks.
[quote][p][bold]Katie Re-Registered[/bold] wrote: "University of Wales, Newport to be dissolved in April" Flippin' chemistry department![/p][/quote]I am seriously interested in the issue of the dissolution of Newport University. I therefore inquisitavely read articles such as this, including their associated comments. I am afraid I do not understand yours..I would appreciate it therefore if you would explain what you mean and what you are getting at. Thanks. Ian MacKinlay
  • Score: 1

3:09pm Thu 21 Mar 13

Ian MacKinlay says...

Owain Vaughan wrote:
Another catastrophic mistake
Why?

I am not saying I disagree or agree with you. I am trying to form an opinion. I am therefore intrigued to understand why to someone, such as yourself , the matter appears to be self-evidently "another catastrophic mistake".
[quote][p][bold]Owain Vaughan[/bold] wrote: Another catastrophic mistake[/p][/quote]Why? I am not saying I disagree or agree with you. I am trying to form an opinion. I am therefore intrigued to understand why to someone, such as yourself , the matter appears to be self-evidently "another catastrophic mistake". Ian MacKinlay
  • Score: 0

3:26pm Thu 21 Mar 13

sherrie says...

Ian MacKinlay wrote:
Katie Re-Registered wrote:
"University of Wales, Newport to be dissolved in April"

Flippin' chemistry department!
I am seriously interested in the issue of the dissolution of Newport University. I therefore inquisitavely read articles such as this, including their associated comments. I am afraid I do not understand yours..I would appreciate it therefore if you would explain what you mean and what you are getting at. Thanks.
Ian you just need a good sense of humour that's all...
[quote][p][bold]Ian MacKinlay[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Katie Re-Registered[/bold] wrote: "University of Wales, Newport to be dissolved in April" Flippin' chemistry department![/p][/quote]I am seriously interested in the issue of the dissolution of Newport University. I therefore inquisitavely read articles such as this, including their associated comments. I am afraid I do not understand yours..I would appreciate it therefore if you would explain what you mean and what you are getting at. Thanks.[/p][/quote]Ian you just need a good sense of humour that's all... sherrie
  • Score: 1

3:34pm Thu 21 Mar 13

Ian MacKinlay says...

Owain Vaughan wrote:
Keith P wrote:
Owain Vaughan wrote:
Another catastrophic mistake
Why not cal it Gwent University? :)
This is not the time for such flippancy. Newport is losing another part of its identity and people are losing their jobs.
You point out that Newport is losing another part of its identity and people are losing their jobs. This story is indeed, therefore, a serious matter.

Clearly, you would wish to retain "Newport" in the name of the university. Owen Vaughan, on the face of it, in calling the issue "another catastrophic mistake" seems to share your concern, presumably, about the merger with Glamorgan, (although I await elucidation on this matter). He suggests the new institution be callled Gwent University. You accuse him of flippancy. I do not see why suggesting such a title is being "flippant", even in the present context. Please explain.
[quote][p][bold]Owain Vaughan[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Keith P[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Owain Vaughan[/bold] wrote: Another catastrophic mistake[/p][/quote]Why not cal it Gwent University? :)[/p][/quote]This is not the time for such flippancy. Newport is losing another part of its identity and people are losing their jobs.[/p][/quote]You point out that Newport is losing another part of its identity and people are losing their jobs. This story is indeed, therefore, a serious matter. Clearly, you would wish to retain "Newport" in the name of the university. Owen Vaughan, on the face of it, in calling the issue "another catastrophic mistake" seems to share your concern, presumably, about the merger with Glamorgan, (although I await elucidation on this matter). He suggests the new institution be callled Gwent University. You accuse him of flippancy. I do not see why suggesting such a title is being "flippant", even in the present context. Please explain. Ian MacKinlay
  • Score: 0

3:38pm Thu 21 Mar 13

decidedlyindecisive says...

This country is already wasting enough money without more being flushed down the toilet to fund universities. How about spending the money on more useful things like hospitals?
This country is already wasting enough money without more being flushed down the toilet to fund universities. How about spending the money on more useful things like hospitals? decidedlyindecisive
  • Score: 0

3:51pm Thu 21 Mar 13

Ian MacKinlay says...

I am afraid I appear to have jumbled up who I am writing to, and who said what to whom here. My apologies.However, I expect the relevant parties will be able to see what I am getting at, and respond accordingly.

I do wish the Argus had a tidier system for replying to specific comments. This one is really very cumbersome.

As for "Katie Re-Registered"s reply to my question, that all I need is a sense of humour, it leaves me none the wiser. If she cannot be bothered to explain her point, I wonder why she goes to the trouble of making it in the first place.
I am afraid I appear to have jumbled up who I am writing to, and who said what to whom here. My apologies.However, I expect the relevant parties will be able to see what I am getting at, and respond accordingly. I do wish the Argus had a tidier system for replying to specific comments. This one is really very cumbersome. As for "Katie Re-Registered"s reply to my question, that all I need is a sense of humour, it leaves me none the wiser. If she cannot be bothered to explain her point, I wonder why she goes to the trouble of making it in the first place. Ian MacKinlay
  • Score: 0

6:44pm Thu 21 Mar 13

Dave on his Soapbox says...

...yes the £24.8m...is needed for all the volunary release that they've already started to offer staff in both....and then the compulsory redundancy when they start cutting back that will happen to streamline the business.
How this will improve 'the customer experience' for local students...when courses will be cut and Newport/Gwent and Cardiff/Glam based students will be spending more time travelling as the duplication will be removed...
Instead of paying so that Welsh students to study in English unis...the money should have been used to bring the Welsh unis up to the same standard....as reducing/making large ones here won't improve things.
...yes the £24.8m...is needed for all the volunary release that they've already started to offer staff in both....and then the compulsory redundancy when they start cutting back that will happen to streamline the business. How this will improve 'the customer experience' for local students...when courses will be cut and Newport/Gwent and Cardiff/Glam based students will be spending more time travelling as the duplication will be removed... Instead of paying so that Welsh students to study in English unis...the money should have been used to bring the Welsh unis up to the same standard....as reducing/making large ones here won't improve things. Dave on his Soapbox
  • Score: 0

7:49pm Thu 21 Mar 13

banterous says...

"£24.8 million to enable a smooth transition"

Should've gone to Specsavers.
"£24.8 million to enable a smooth transition" Should've gone to Specsavers. banterous
  • Score: 0

10:12pm Thu 21 Mar 13

Owain Vaughan says...

@Ian MacKinlay, the reference to "Gwent University" is clearly flippant as the poster well knows my distaste for the name "Gwent" to refer to Monmouthshire.
@Ian MacKinlay, the reference to "Gwent University" is clearly flippant as the poster well knows my distaste for the name "Gwent" to refer to Monmouthshire. Owain Vaughan
  • Score: 0

6:50am Fri 22 Mar 13

Keith P says...

Owain Vaughan wrote:
Keith P wrote:
Owain Vaughan wrote:
Another catastrophic mistake
Why not cal it Gwent University? :)
This is not the time for such flippancy. Newport is losing another part of its identity and people are losing their jobs.
I read 24.8 million investment. Not cutting jobs.
[quote][p][bold]Owain Vaughan[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Keith P[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Owain Vaughan[/bold] wrote: Another catastrophic mistake[/p][/quote]Why not cal it Gwent University? :)[/p][/quote]This is not the time for such flippancy. Newport is losing another part of its identity and people are losing their jobs.[/p][/quote]I read 24.8 million investment. Not cutting jobs. Keith P
  • Score: 0

7:24am Fri 22 Mar 13

Ian MacKinlay says...

Owain Vaughan wrote:
@Ian MacKinlay, the reference to "Gwent University" is clearly flippant as the poster well knows my distaste for the name "Gwent" to refer to Monmouthshire.
OK. Thanks.
[quote][p][bold]Owain Vaughan[/bold] wrote: @Ian MacKinlay, the reference to "Gwent University" is clearly flippant as the poster well knows my distaste for the name "Gwent" to refer to Monmouthshire.[/p][/quote]OK. Thanks. Ian MacKinlay
  • Score: 0

5:27pm Fri 22 Mar 13

snappersearch says...

decidedlyindecisive wrote:
This country is already wasting enough money without more being flushed down the toilet to fund universities. How about spending the money on more useful things like hospitals?
Yeah great lets save some money. Where the doctors gonna study though? Right lots of money is flushed down the toiltet but cuttin on education is simply daft.
[quote][p][bold]decidedlyindecisive[/bold] wrote: This country is already wasting enough money without more being flushed down the toilet to fund universities. How about spending the money on more useful things like hospitals?[/p][/quote]Yeah great lets save some money. Where the doctors gonna study though? Right lots of money is flushed down the toiltet but cuttin on education is simply daft. snappersearch
  • Score: 0

9:40pm Sat 23 Mar 13

dark_angel says...

Keith P wrote:
Owain Vaughan wrote:
Keith P wrote:
Owain Vaughan wrote:
Another catastrophic mistake
Why not cal it Gwent University? :)
This is not the time for such flippancy. Newport is losing another part of its identity and people are losing their jobs.
I read 24.8 million investment. Not cutting jobs.
The "investment" you talk about will be swallowed up by the university of glamorgan. There will be wholesale redudencies of both academic and support staff. All but one of the heads of departments have been appointed and they are ALL university of glamorgan staff - the senior management of Newport have got jobs (deputy v.c.'s) - they have sold out the university of Wales, newport and it's staff and students just to claim a job for a couple of years to their retirement and to boost their MASSIVE pensions. The senior management of newport do not care about the staff or students this is very clear.
This "merger" is a takeover plain, clear and simple.
The minister for education is not concerned about the loss of jobs as he has completed his remit to reduce the numbers of universities in Wales and most of the staff that work there are notin his constituency. The readers of this website where warned that this would be catastrophic for newport and the eastern valleys.
[quote][p][bold]Keith P[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Owain Vaughan[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Keith P[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Owain Vaughan[/bold] wrote: Another catastrophic mistake[/p][/quote]Why not cal it Gwent University? :)[/p][/quote]This is not the time for such flippancy. Newport is losing another part of its identity and people are losing their jobs.[/p][/quote]I read 24.8 million investment. Not cutting jobs.[/p][/quote]The "investment" you talk about will be swallowed up by the university of glamorgan. There will be wholesale redudencies of both academic and support staff. All but one of the heads of departments have been appointed and they are ALL university of glamorgan staff - the senior management of Newport have got jobs (deputy v.c.'s) - they have sold out the university of Wales, newport and it's staff and students just to claim a job for a couple of years to their retirement and to boost their MASSIVE pensions. The senior management of newport do not care about the staff or students this is very clear. This "merger" is a takeover plain, clear and simple. The minister for education is not concerned about the loss of jobs as he has completed his remit to reduce the numbers of universities in Wales and most of the staff that work there are notin his constituency. The readers of this website where warned that this would be catastrophic for newport and the eastern valleys. dark_angel
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree