Newport club doormen out to take action against the police

South Wales Argus: CIVIL ACTION: Club doormen Rudi Paders, left, and Tony Bryan CIVIL ACTION: Club doormen Rudi Paders, left, and Tony Bryan

TWO nightclub doormen say they intend to take civil action against Gwent Police, claiming malicious prosecution, over the way the force handled an investigation which landed them in court.

Tony Bryan and Rudi Paders say they will also complain to police watchdog the Independent Police Complaints Commission and are appealing against a conviction for not displaying their bouncer’s badges.

The pair were cleared at Abergavenny Magistrates’ Court on April 5 of causing fear or provocation of violence following an incident outside Newport’s Warehouse 54 club on October 28.

But both received a six-month conditional discharge and were ordered to pay £100 costs and a £15 victim surcharge after being found guilty of not displaying their security licences at the time of the incident.

The court heard the pair were not working at the time of the incident, and were merely responding to a call for help from their friend and bar owner, Iftekhar Haris.

Legal papers shown to the Argus argue that as the men were not working they had no reason to display their badges.

During their trial the court heard Mr Bryan, 27, and Mr Paders, 43, were called from their beds by Mr Haris, who asked for their help following an incident in his club.

The men, who were not in uniform, attended, and began talking to two men who had been asked to leave over worries they were smoking cannabis.

Paders and Bryan say they thought one of the men had a knife, and in order to protect themselves and the public used reasonable force to restrain him until police arrived.

The friends, who have never been in trouble with the police before, were later arrested after one of the men complained about his treatment to police.

The court heard he later withdrew his statement, but police proceeded with the case anyway.

Since their arrest Bryan and Paders have been unable to work after their security licences were suspended.

They are currently trying to get them reinstated.

They say their names have been tarnished and they have suffered a great deal of stress since the incident.

Mr Paders, who has been a door supervisor for 24 years and has been stabbed twice in the line of his work, said: “We are peace-makers, there to make people safe.

“When there is a threat, you take notice and you don’t ignore it, people underestimate the danger of being a door supervisor.”

Legal papers are still being finalised for the civil claim, but their solicitor, Richie Garner, said the men believe the case was maliciously pursued by the force and would be seeking damages and loss of earnings.

Gwent Police said they could not comment until a complaint had been made.

Comments (17)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

7:09pm Tue 16 Apr 13

Jobdone2010 says...

Victims!! really?? These muppets make me laugh...bullies end of!
Victims!! really?? These muppets make me laugh...bullies end of! Jobdone2010
  • Score: 0

3:06am Wed 17 Apr 13

gathin says...

Looks like the "Corporate bullies" with a lot of our money at their disposal are against the "Club bullies". As long as the 2nd lot get legal aid and thus a good brief I'm pretty sure the coppers will lose as they do think they are above the law on most occasions and have probably bypassed proper procedure again.
The police are their own worst enemies!
Looks like the "Corporate bullies" with a lot of our money at their disposal are against the "Club bullies". As long as the 2nd lot get legal aid and thus a good brief I'm pretty sure the coppers will lose as they do think they are above the law on most occasions and have probably bypassed proper procedure again. The police are their own worst enemies! gathin
  • Score: 0

10:46am Wed 17 Apr 13

ElTuco says...

Obviously these men have not had criminal convictions in their past as they couldn't gain an SIA doormans license without it. Doormen have a tough job these days, suffering frontline abuse and threats whilst being unable to do anything about it for fear of the very same reprisals that these men have been the victims of. I've seen doormen spat at, verbally abused and physically assaulted whilst police stand by and do nothing.
Keyboard warriors hiding behind their computers like Lishon73 should keep his illiterate ramblings to himself, they have all the hallmarks of a moron who has no idea what its like to be employed in the pressure cooker environment, IF hes employed at all with his clear lack of literacy skills.
A lot of doormen are hard working and diligent, putting themselves in the firing line with little support or thanks at the end of it all.
Obviously these men have not had criminal convictions in their past as they couldn't gain an SIA doormans license without it. Doormen have a tough job these days, suffering frontline abuse and threats whilst being unable to do anything about it for fear of the very same reprisals that these men have been the victims of. I've seen doormen spat at, verbally abused and physically assaulted whilst police stand by and do nothing. Keyboard warriors hiding behind their computers like Lishon73 should keep his illiterate ramblings to himself, they have all the hallmarks of a moron who has no idea what its like to be employed in the pressure cooker environment, IF hes employed at all with his clear lack of literacy skills. A lot of doormen are hard working and diligent, putting themselves in the firing line with little support or thanks at the end of it all. ElTuco
  • Score: 0

3:29pm Wed 17 Apr 13

lishon73 says...

ElTuco wrote:
Obviously these men have not had criminal convictions in their past as they couldn't gain an SIA doormans license without it. Doormen have a tough job these days, suffering frontline abuse and threats whilst being unable to do anything about it for fear of the very same reprisals that these men have been the victims of. I've seen doormen spat at, verbally abused and physically assaulted whilst police stand by and do nothing.
Keyboard warriors hiding behind their computers like Lishon73 should keep his illiterate ramblings to himself, they have all the hallmarks of a moron who has no idea what its like to be employed in the pressure cooker environment, IF hes employed at all with his clear lack of literacy skills.
A lot of doormen are hard working and diligent, putting themselves in the firing line with little support or thanks at the end of it all.
Muppets ive seen the video evidence of them kicking sh*t out of young boys. .. there bullies and if the police need witnesses, they can get hold of me... btw im a woman not a bloke...tut tut
[quote][p][bold]ElTuco[/bold] wrote: Obviously these men have not had criminal convictions in their past as they couldn't gain an SIA doormans license without it. Doormen have a tough job these days, suffering frontline abuse and threats whilst being unable to do anything about it for fear of the very same reprisals that these men have been the victims of. I've seen doormen spat at, verbally abused and physically assaulted whilst police stand by and do nothing. Keyboard warriors hiding behind their computers like Lishon73 should keep his illiterate ramblings to himself, they have all the hallmarks of a moron who has no idea what its like to be employed in the pressure cooker environment, IF hes employed at all with his clear lack of literacy skills. A lot of doormen are hard working and diligent, putting themselves in the firing line with little support or thanks at the end of it all.[/p][/quote]Muppets ive seen the video evidence of them kicking sh*t out of young boys. .. there bullies and if the police need witnesses, they can get hold of me... btw im a woman not a bloke...tut tut lishon73
  • Score: 0

5:39pm Wed 17 Apr 13

Cymru Am Beth says...

lishon73 wrote:
ElTuco wrote:
Obviously these men have not had criminal convictions in their past as they couldn't gain an SIA doormans license without it. Doormen have a tough job these days, suffering frontline abuse and threats whilst being unable to do anything about it for fear of the very same reprisals that these men have been the victims of. I've seen doormen spat at, verbally abused and physically assaulted whilst police stand by and do nothing.
Keyboard warriors hiding behind their computers like Lishon73 should keep his illiterate ramblings to himself, they have all the hallmarks of a moron who has no idea what its like to be employed in the pressure cooker environment, IF hes employed at all with his clear lack of literacy skills.
A lot of doormen are hard working and diligent, putting themselves in the firing line with little support or thanks at the end of it all.
Muppets ive seen the video evidence of them kicking sh*t out of young boys. .. there bullies and if the police need witnesses, they can get hold of me... btw im a woman not a bloke...tut tut
I have seen what you refer to as young boys abusing doormen outside the various licenced premises in Newport.
The Doormen usually have to bear the brunt of insults and violence perpetrated by drunken out of control low life.
The police are nowhere to be seen and basically leave it up to door staff to sort the scumbags out.
If you behave yourself and don't get involved then you won't get hurt.
As far as I am concerned, you deserve what you get if you want to try it on with these people.
Answer is, don't get drunk and act like an a******e if you want to avoid conflict.
[quote][p][bold]lishon73[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ElTuco[/bold] wrote: Obviously these men have not had criminal convictions in their past as they couldn't gain an SIA doormans license without it. Doormen have a tough job these days, suffering frontline abuse and threats whilst being unable to do anything about it for fear of the very same reprisals that these men have been the victims of. I've seen doormen spat at, verbally abused and physically assaulted whilst police stand by and do nothing. Keyboard warriors hiding behind their computers like Lishon73 should keep his illiterate ramblings to himself, they have all the hallmarks of a moron who has no idea what its like to be employed in the pressure cooker environment, IF hes employed at all with his clear lack of literacy skills. A lot of doormen are hard working and diligent, putting themselves in the firing line with little support or thanks at the end of it all.[/p][/quote]Muppets ive seen the video evidence of them kicking sh*t out of young boys. .. there bullies and if the police need witnesses, they can get hold of me... btw im a woman not a bloke...tut tut[/p][/quote]I have seen what you refer to as young boys abusing doormen outside the various licenced premises in Newport. The Doormen usually have to bear the brunt of insults and violence perpetrated by drunken out of control low life. The police are nowhere to be seen and basically leave it up to door staff to sort the scumbags out. If you behave yourself and don't get involved then you won't get hurt. As far as I am concerned, you deserve what you get if you want to try it on with these people. Answer is, don't get drunk and act like an a******e if you want to avoid conflict. Cymru Am Beth
  • Score: 0

7:16pm Wed 17 Apr 13

lishon73 says...

Yr obviously a doorman!!!! And as u say u all av yr special little badges..firstly it dont make u above the law and secondly yr meant to use reasonable force to get people to leave the premises, or as u say drunks to leave the club... Your certainly not allowed to follow young adults down the road and kick and punch them around the head...As I have seen video evidence of these 2 culprits doing this. ..
Yr obviously a doorman!!!! And as u say u all av yr special little badges..firstly it dont make u above the law and secondly yr meant to use reasonable force to get people to leave the premises, or as u say drunks to leave the club... Your certainly not allowed to follow young adults down the road and kick and punch them around the head...As I have seen video evidence of these 2 culprits doing this. .. lishon73
  • Score: 0

7:49pm Wed 17 Apr 13

Cymru Am Beth says...

lishon73 wrote:
Yr obviously a doorman!!!! And as u say u all av yr special little badges..firstly it dont make u above the law and secondly yr meant to use reasonable force to get people to leave the premises, or as u say drunks to leave the club... Your certainly not allowed to follow young adults down the road and kick and punch them around the head...As I have seen video evidence of these 2 culprits doing this. ..
Wrong.
I am not a doorman.
However, you may have seen video evidence, but did you see what went on before this.
Are you in possession of the full facts leading up to this situation you describe?
The Polce used to come in for all this type of criticism when they were effective.
Now they are no longer effective and it is left up to the door staff to sort it out.
I would be very careful what you say calling them culprits.
They were found not guilty in court and what you are alleging, if not true, could be regarded as libelous.
[quote][p][bold]lishon73[/bold] wrote: Yr obviously a doorman!!!! And as u say u all av yr special little badges..firstly it dont make u above the law and secondly yr meant to use reasonable force to get people to leave the premises, or as u say drunks to leave the club... Your certainly not allowed to follow young adults down the road and kick and punch them around the head...As I have seen video evidence of these 2 culprits doing this. ..[/p][/quote]Wrong. I am not a doorman. However, you may have seen video evidence, but did you see what went on before this. Are you in possession of the full facts leading up to this situation you describe? The Polce used to come in for all this type of criticism when they were effective. Now they are no longer effective and it is left up to the door staff to sort it out. I would be very careful what you say calling them culprits. They were found not guilty in court and what you are alleging, if not true, could be regarded as libelous. Cymru Am Beth
  • Score: 0

8:04pm Wed 17 Apr 13

lishon73 says...

I was there and was witness to the facts... so enough said... I suggest to talk about things you know something about...because in this instance you aint got a clue....
I was there and was witness to the facts... so enough said... I suggest to talk about things you know something about...because in this instance you aint got a clue.... lishon73
  • Score: 0

8:07pm Wed 17 Apr 13

Cymru Am Beth says...

lishon73 wrote:
I was there and was witness to the facts... so enough said... I suggest to talk about things you know something about...because in this instance you aint got a clue....
Well they obviously didn't believe you in court,.
That is, if you actually went.
[quote][p][bold]lishon73[/bold] wrote: I was there and was witness to the facts... so enough said... I suggest to talk about things you know something about...because in this instance you aint got a clue....[/p][/quote]Well they obviously didn't believe you in court,. That is, if you actually went. Cymru Am Beth
  • Score: 0

8:09pm Wed 17 Apr 13

lishon73 says...

And on the night in question... they wasnt even working.. they just charged at these innocent men and started raining blows at them.. I am not referring to the crime above im referring to a crime that took place a few years ago... and funnily enough when it went to court all video evidence from inside the club had been destroyed...
And on the night in question... they wasnt even working.. they just charged at these innocent men and started raining blows at them.. I am not referring to the crime above im referring to a crime that took place a few years ago... and funnily enough when it went to court all video evidence from inside the club had been destroyed... lishon73
  • Score: 0

8:16pm Wed 17 Apr 13

lishon73 says...

As far as im concerned you can stick up for this pair as much as you want.. the people of Newport and Cardiff know the truth... enuff said!!!! Btw to make it even there are some really good doorstaff in Newport..
As far as im concerned you can stick up for this pair as much as you want.. the people of Newport and Cardiff know the truth... enuff said!!!! Btw to make it even there are some really good doorstaff in Newport.. lishon73
  • Score: 0

2:03pm Thu 18 Apr 13

ElTuco says...

lishon73 wrote:
As far as im concerned you can stick up for this pair as much as you want.. the people of Newport and Cardiff know the truth... enuff said!!!! Btw to make it even there are some really good doorstaff in Newport..
I cannot believe some of the insane ramblings that Lyshon73 has managed to post. Go back to school, get yourself an education and make a well constructed, grammatically correct argument because at the moment you are demonstrating that you are nothing more than a malicious malcontent with the intellect of a retarded goldfish. If you have seen unprovoked attacks why have you not gone to the police? Perhaps because these (correctly labelled libelous) comments are untrue? Perhaps you are part of the proud but sadly evident 'chav' community of troublemakers that Newport has been trying to shake loose that tarnish its image and condone the night time violence and mentality of drunken yobs - man or woman. Newport has CCTV everywhere, the town CCTV is clearly evident in every location. If you had any morals you would have backed up your claim and gone to the police but you are a clown, clown, clown.
[quote][p][bold]lishon73[/bold] wrote: As far as im concerned you can stick up for this pair as much as you want.. the people of Newport and Cardiff know the truth... enuff said!!!! Btw to make it even there are some really good doorstaff in Newport..[/p][/quote]I cannot believe some of the insane ramblings that Lyshon73 has managed to post. Go back to school, get yourself an education and make a well constructed, grammatically correct argument because at the moment you are demonstrating that you are nothing more than a malicious malcontent with the intellect of a retarded goldfish. If you have seen unprovoked attacks why have you not gone to the police? Perhaps because these (correctly labelled libelous) comments are untrue? Perhaps you are part of the proud but sadly evident 'chav' community of troublemakers that Newport has been trying to shake loose that tarnish its image and condone the night time violence and mentality of drunken yobs - man or woman. Newport has CCTV everywhere, the town CCTV is clearly evident in every location. If you had any morals you would have backed up your claim and gone to the police but you are a clown, clown, clown. ElTuco
  • Score: 0

7:23pm Sat 27 Apr 13

SUNSHINE ON A CLOUDY DAY says...

About time these were held accountable-license to bully thats what they think they have
About time these were held accountable-license to bully thats what they think they have SUNSHINE ON A CLOUDY DAY
  • Score: 0

10:11am Mon 29 Apr 13

Cymru Am Beth says...

SUNSHINE ON A CLOUDY DAY wrote:
About time these were held accountable-license to bully thats what they think they have
I have never had any problem with doorstaff, because I don't CAUSE TROUBLE.
Unfortunately, it is the people who cannot behave that get on the wrong side of them.
I have absolutely no sympathy for scumbags who moan about being beaten up by doorstaff.
Easy answer to that, don't cause trouble and you will be left alone.
As I said previously, the police are incapable of controlling these drunken pond life louts and it is left to the doorstaff to sort them out.
[quote][p][bold]SUNSHINE ON A CLOUDY DAY[/bold] wrote: About time these were held accountable-license to bully thats what they think they have[/p][/quote]I have never had any problem with doorstaff, because I don't CAUSE TROUBLE. Unfortunately, it is the people who cannot behave that get on the wrong side of them. I have absolutely no sympathy for scumbags who moan about being beaten up by doorstaff. Easy answer to that, don't cause trouble and you will be left alone. As I said previously, the police are incapable of controlling these drunken pond life louts and it is left to the doorstaff to sort them out. Cymru Am Beth
  • Score: 0

11:22am Thu 2 May 13

let em swing says...

Dont know about the doormen, but those suits are definitely criminal.
Dont know about the doormen, but those suits are definitely criminal. let em swing
  • Score: 1

11:50am Fri 3 May 13

lishon73 says...

What are you on about EITeco? I obvs no more about these yobs than you... all you seem to be able to do is criticize my grammer...lol.. not bothered. Thing u dont realize I was in court with these muppets watching em whilst there arses was twitching with a assault they commited a few years ago...managed to throw there hattrick in saying they thought there innocent victim had a knife, wah, wah....jury believed there dirty lies. ... its all catching up wiv them now. Cos cant keep throwing that old line out there...so carry on wiv yr jibes about grammer...lol... the truth is the truth and it will catch up with them in the end....
What are you on about EITeco? I obvs no more about these yobs than you... all you seem to be able to do is criticize my grammer...lol.. not bothered. Thing u dont realize I was in court with these muppets watching em whilst there arses was twitching with a assault they commited a few years ago...managed to throw there hattrick in saying they thought there innocent victim had a knife, wah, wah....jury believed there dirty lies. ... its all catching up wiv them now. Cos cant keep throwing that old line out there...so carry on wiv yr jibes about grammer...lol... the truth is the truth and it will catch up with them in the end.... lishon73
  • Score: 0

2:03pm Fri 10 May 13

tony1969 says...

ive known rudi and his brother for many years they are both good honest men . good luck taking police on i really hope you get a result .
ive known rudi and his brother for many years they are both good honest men . good luck taking police on i really hope you get a result . tony1969
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree