Former Gwent man denies sex abuse charges

First published in News

A WOMAN broke down in tears yesterday as she told a court she suffered years of sexual abuse at the hands of a man in Gwent.

The woman, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was giving evidence at the trial of 64-year-old Bernard Chapman before Cardiff Crown Court.

Chapman, formerly of Monmouthshire, is charged with four counts of rape against her when she was under 13 years old.

He is also charged with another four counts of sexual activity with a child relating to the woman and a further six counts of rape against her.

He denies all the charges.

The court heard how she was forced to wear red lipstick before Chapman allegedly had sex with her.

Chapman also watched porn on TV when he had intercourse with her, the court was told.

The jury heard how the abuse began with touching over her clothes, then became full sexual intercourse.

The woman sobbed as she told a jury of six men and six women she did not tell anyone about the alleged abuse until Chapman’s arrest last year.

She told the court behind a screen: “I never thought it would be the right time.”

The woman spoke to police after an altercation during which Chapman allegedly hit her, though he was never charged over the incident, the jury heard.

Chapman, of Church Lane, Mitcheldean, Gloucestershire, appeared on bail on the second day of his trial yesterday.

A jury was sworn in on Monday and Judge Daniel Williams is overseeing the case.

Proceeding.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree