Newport residents raise privacy concerns over train station

South Wales Argus: OBJECTION: Rogerstone councillor Chris Evans OBJECTION: Rogerstone councillor Chris Evans

PRIVACY worries have been raised over a new railway station in Newport that residents say could allow passengers to see into their homes.

The Welsh and UK governments are providing £3.5 million in funding for a new station on the Ebbw Valley line at Pye Corner in the city due to open later this year.

A planning application is currently being sought from Newport council for the station, raising objections from some residents living near the site of the planned station near Western Valley Road.

IT engineer Nick John, 47, said the station is likely to be behind his house. “You can look from the carriage directly into our gardens,” he said. “I don’t think that’s been taken into consideration.”

He feared that a walkway to the station from Tregwilym Road would allow people to be look into his daughter’s bedroom.

Although the train line from Ebbw Vale to Cardiff already goes past his home, Mr John said as the trains don’t stop, passengers can’t look in. Another resident expressed concerns about a lack of consultation with the local community.

She told planers there had been no correspondence in the time between an information meeting in March 2012 and a letter about application for planning permission in December 11.

She felt that a 21-day period for the planning application consultation was not sufficient given it fell over Christmas and new year.

“It seems that the plans are being rushed through in order for funding to be secured,” she wrote to planners.

One man living in of Veronica Close, told planners that passengers would be able to look directly into a bathroom and a bedroom in his home.

Rogerstone councillor Chris Evans wrote in an objection the location “is not a good one”, with family bedrooms and gardens on view.

Comments (12)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

7:50pm Sun 12 Jan 14

GardenVarietyMushroom says...

You can buy mirror window film for less than a fiver a metre. Stick it to the inside of your windows and hey presto, you can see out but no one can see in.

It's not unusual for transport infrastructure to overlook houses and gardens. It's pretty common all over the uk.

Actually, not far from where I live, the George street bridge overlooks a whole row of houses on the east side of the river, that anyone walking past can look down on.
You can buy mirror window film for less than a fiver a metre. Stick it to the inside of your windows and hey presto, you can see out but no one can see in. It's not unusual for transport infrastructure to overlook houses and gardens. It's pretty common all over the uk. Actually, not far from where I live, the George street bridge overlooks a whole row of houses on the east side of the river, that anyone walking past can look down on. GardenVarietyMushroom
  • Score: 30

8:35pm Sun 12 Jan 14

Magor says...

This is the case with any line running through a residential area.I bet train drivers must see plenty,buy some blinds.
This is the case with any line running through a residential area.I bet train drivers must see plenty,buy some blinds. Magor
  • Score: 27

11:33pm Sun 12 Jan 14

cath 872 says...

Easy solution here. Move.
Easy solution here. Move. cath 872
  • Score: -11

9:12am Mon 13 Jan 14

john.hall1000 says...

There seems to be a lot of bushes and trees blocking much of the gardens, so i can't see whats all the fuss is about. i live close to one of the stations on the line and don't complain about it.
There seems to be a lot of bushes and trees blocking much of the gardens, so i can't see whats all the fuss is about. i live close to one of the stations on the line and don't complain about it. john.hall1000
  • Score: 19

12:42pm Mon 13 Jan 14

St3v3y says...

Good evening ladies and gentlemen, we will soon be approaching the New station in Newport ,passengers are reminded to look at the floor at all times whilst we are stationery. And No peaking...!!!
Good evening ladies and gentlemen, we will soon be approaching the New station in Newport ,passengers are reminded to look at the floor at all times whilst we are stationery. And No peaking...!!! St3v3y
  • Score: 16

4:28pm Mon 13 Jan 14

crashintheattic says...

GardenVarietyMushroo
m
wrote:
You can buy mirror window film for less than a fiver a metre. Stick it to the inside of your windows and hey presto, you can see out but no one can see in.

It's not unusual for transport infrastructure to overlook houses and gardens. It's pretty common all over the uk.

Actually, not far from where I live, the George street bridge overlooks a whole row of houses on the east side of the river, that anyone walking past can look down on.
Most houses these days have some transport going past them from cars to trains so this is no different and can be easily lived with by planting trees or ignoring it. This is just a normal situation!
[quote][p][bold]GardenVarietyMushroo m[/bold] wrote: You can buy mirror window film for less than a fiver a metre. Stick it to the inside of your windows and hey presto, you can see out but no one can see in. It's not unusual for transport infrastructure to overlook houses and gardens. It's pretty common all over the uk. Actually, not far from where I live, the George street bridge overlooks a whole row of houses on the east side of the river, that anyone walking past can look down on.[/p][/quote]Most houses these days have some transport going past them from cars to trains so this is no different and can be easily lived with by planting trees or ignoring it. This is just a normal situation! crashintheattic
  • Score: 5

5:15pm Mon 13 Jan 14

grumpyandopinionated says...

Just someone trying to get some attention me thinks, some net curtains would do the job. Can please everyone though.
Just someone trying to get some attention me thinks, some net curtains would do the job. Can please everyone though. grumpyandopinionated
  • Score: 4

6:47pm Mon 13 Jan 14

Thinking heads says...

It will be put in wrong place because it was rushed to get a grant ask the local councillors if they're telling you all thay know thay are holding back.
They are going along with the planning executive who rushed to get a plan together or thay would miss out on a grant from the uk government the welsh government asked newport city council.
For there thoughts and the planning chefs who no nothing about integrated transport.
Stuck some quick fix all plan to the councilors who now nothing about transport or rail what do you expect ?
A MAD CAP IDEA
Station in the wrong place .
It Is A Cluster fush ?
It will be put in wrong place because it was rushed to get a grant ask the local councillors if they're telling you all thay know thay are holding back. They are going along with the planning executive who rushed to get a plan together or thay would miss out on a grant from the uk government the welsh government asked newport city council. For there thoughts and the planning chefs who no nothing about integrated transport. Stuck some quick fix all plan to the councilors who now nothing about transport or rail what do you expect ? A MAD CAP IDEA Station in the wrong place . It Is A Cluster fush ? Thinking heads
  • Score: 0

8:44pm Mon 13 Jan 14

coidmellyn says...

Thinking heads wrote:
It will be put in wrong place because it was rushed to get a grant ask the local councillors if they're telling you all thay know thay are holding back.
They are going along with the planning executive who rushed to get a plan together or thay would miss out on a grant from the uk government the welsh government asked newport city council.
For there thoughts and the planning chefs who no nothing about integrated transport.
Stuck some quick fix all plan to the councilors who now nothing about transport or rail what do you expect ?
A MAD CAP IDEA
Station in the wrong place .
It Is A Cluster fush ?
Some has noted what i said last year.
It will be of no help to rhiwderin and machen, bottleneck at pye corner no help to rogerstone vicarage and cefn wood?
And the new site of a 1000 houses at the alcan site.
And wern est,
NO INTEGRATED TRANSPORT POLICY?
Thats newport city council.
sort it out or get out
[quote][p][bold]Thinking heads[/bold] wrote: It will be put in wrong place because it was rushed to get a grant ask the local councillors if they're telling you all thay know thay are holding back. They are going along with the planning executive who rushed to get a plan together or thay would miss out on a grant from the uk government the welsh government asked newport city council. For there thoughts and the planning chefs who no nothing about integrated transport. Stuck some quick fix all plan to the councilors who now nothing about transport or rail what do you expect ? A MAD CAP IDEA Station in the wrong place . It Is A Cluster fush ?[/p][/quote]Some has noted what i said last year. It will be of no help to rhiwderin and machen, bottleneck at pye corner no help to rogerstone vicarage and cefn wood? And the new site of a 1000 houses at the alcan site. And wern est, NO INTEGRATED TRANSPORT POLICY? Thats newport city council. sort it out or get out coidmellyn
  • Score: 0

8:31am Tue 14 Jan 14

Bobevans says...

coidmellyn wrote:
Thinking heads wrote:
It will be put in wrong place because it was rushed to get a grant ask the local councillors if they're telling you all thay know thay are holding back.
They are going along with the planning executive who rushed to get a plan together or thay would miss out on a grant from the uk government the welsh government asked newport city council.
For there thoughts and the planning chefs who no nothing about integrated transport.
Stuck some quick fix all plan to the councilors who now nothing about transport or rail what do you expect ?
A MAD CAP IDEA
Station in the wrong place .
It Is A Cluster fush ?
Some has noted what i said last year.
It will be of no help to rhiwderin and machen, bottleneck at pye corner no help to rogerstone vicarage and cefn wood?
And the new site of a 1000 houses at the alcan site.
And wern est,
NO INTEGRATED TRANSPORT POLICY?
Thats newport city council.
sort it out or get out
Agree the location is very poor in fact it probably should not be there when you consider the roads and layout of them which are already very narrow and congested

As you say the old Alcan site say where the office block was would have been far more sensible. The station could then have some parking and space for taxis and to pick up and drop of people. It could also then be served by most of the buses in the area. instead it serves none of the local areas that well
[quote][p][bold]coidmellyn[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Thinking heads[/bold] wrote: It will be put in wrong place because it was rushed to get a grant ask the local councillors if they're telling you all thay know thay are holding back. They are going along with the planning executive who rushed to get a plan together or thay would miss out on a grant from the uk government the welsh government asked newport city council. For there thoughts and the planning chefs who no nothing about integrated transport. Stuck some quick fix all plan to the councilors who now nothing about transport or rail what do you expect ? A MAD CAP IDEA Station in the wrong place . It Is A Cluster fush ?[/p][/quote]Some has noted what i said last year. It will be of no help to rhiwderin and machen, bottleneck at pye corner no help to rogerstone vicarage and cefn wood? And the new site of a 1000 houses at the alcan site. And wern est, NO INTEGRATED TRANSPORT POLICY? Thats newport city council. sort it out or get out[/p][/quote]Agree the location is very poor in fact it probably should not be there when you consider the roads and layout of them which are already very narrow and congested As you say the old Alcan site say where the office block was would have been far more sensible. The station could then have some parking and space for taxis and to pick up and drop of people. It could also then be served by most of the buses in the area. instead it serves none of the local areas that well Bobevans
  • Score: 1

12:02pm Tue 14 Jan 14

_Bryan_ says...

I'm not convinced that this new station is needed or in the right location but since I won't be directly affected I'll leave that to other people to debate.

With regard to the main thrust of the article, there is a simple invention that very effectively prevents people from looking in through windows - curtains.
I'm not convinced that this new station is needed or in the right location but since I won't be directly affected I'll leave that to other people to debate. With regard to the main thrust of the article, there is a simple invention that very effectively prevents people from looking in through windows - curtains. _Bryan_
  • Score: 3

4:29pm Tue 14 Jan 14

crashintheattic says...

Bobevans wrote:
coidmellyn wrote:
Thinking heads wrote:
It will be put in wrong place because it was rushed to get a grant ask the local councillors if they're telling you all thay know thay are holding back.
They are going along with the planning executive who rushed to get a plan together or thay would miss out on a grant from the uk government the welsh government asked newport city council.
For there thoughts and the planning chefs who no nothing about integrated transport.
Stuck some quick fix all plan to the councilors who now nothing about transport or rail what do you expect ?
A MAD CAP IDEA
Station in the wrong place .
It Is A Cluster fush ?
Some has noted what i said last year.
It will be of no help to rhiwderin and machen, bottleneck at pye corner no help to rogerstone vicarage and cefn wood?
And the new site of a 1000 houses at the alcan site.
And wern est,
NO INTEGRATED TRANSPORT POLICY?
Thats newport city council.
sort it out or get out
Agree the location is very poor in fact it probably should not be there when you consider the roads and layout of them which are already very narrow and congested

As you say the old Alcan site say where the office block was would have been far more sensible. The station could then have some parking and space for taxis and to pick up and drop of people. It could also then be served by most of the buses in the area. instead it serves none of the local areas that well
Yes it is in totally the wrong place as they are short sighted. They should have linked the Machen line to it to get services from Bassaleg. It should be a non car station with no parking to keep the road quieter
[quote][p][bold]Bobevans[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]coidmellyn[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Thinking heads[/bold] wrote: It will be put in wrong place because it was rushed to get a grant ask the local councillors if they're telling you all thay know thay are holding back. They are going along with the planning executive who rushed to get a plan together or thay would miss out on a grant from the uk government the welsh government asked newport city council. For there thoughts and the planning chefs who no nothing about integrated transport. Stuck some quick fix all plan to the councilors who now nothing about transport or rail what do you expect ? A MAD CAP IDEA Station in the wrong place . It Is A Cluster fush ?[/p][/quote]Some has noted what i said last year. It will be of no help to rhiwderin and machen, bottleneck at pye corner no help to rogerstone vicarage and cefn wood? And the new site of a 1000 houses at the alcan site. And wern est, NO INTEGRATED TRANSPORT POLICY? Thats newport city council. sort it out or get out[/p][/quote]Agree the location is very poor in fact it probably should not be there when you consider the roads and layout of them which are already very narrow and congested As you say the old Alcan site say where the office block was would have been far more sensible. The station could then have some parking and space for taxis and to pick up and drop of people. It could also then be served by most of the buses in the area. instead it serves none of the local areas that well[/p][/quote]Yes it is in totally the wrong place as they are short sighted. They should have linked the Machen line to it to get services from Bassaleg. It should be a non car station with no parking to keep the road quieter crashintheattic
  • Score: 2

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree