Man wrongly jailed for death of a reveller to sue Gwent Police
10:25am Saturday 1st February 2014 in News
A MAN wrongly jailed for killing a reveller dressed as a Ghostbuster is suing Gwent Police.
Aaron Davies spent a year in custody for the manslaughter of Gareth Davies, 26, on a night out in Cwmbran in 2007.
His conviction was quashed at the Court of Appeal in 2011 and he lodged a claim against the Chief Constable of Gwent Police last month, the Royal Courts of Justice confirmed.
Gwent Police spokesman told the Argus: “We can confirm we have received a claim and legal proceedings are progressing.”
Aaron Davies was sentenced to three years in prison in 2010 after a jury found him guilty of killing Gareth Davies who was fundraising in Cwmbran seven years ago.
A Cardiff Crown Court jury convicted him, prosecutors claiming he hit him with a punch, causing him to fall backwards and hit his head on the floor after a fracas outside the John Fielding pub. Despite the blow, he went home in a taxi with friends but he didn’t awake the next day and he was taken to Newport’s Royal Gwent Hospital. He never regained consciousness and died two days later. Mr Davies denied killing the Llangibby bank worker, saying he was wrongly identified. At the Court of Appeal hearing, judges ruled the conviction unsafe. Lord Justice Aikens had “deep concerns” about the case and despite Aaron Davies being given “unequivocal assurance” he would not be prosecuted, he was re-arrested and charged in July 2009.
Lord Justice Aikens said the decision not to charge him immediately after the death was “both incomprehensible and indefensible.” This delay meant the inquest, which recorded a verdict of unlawful killing, was heard before the criminal trial, going against normal procedure.
Comments are closed on this article.