Newport man enjoys same birthday as George Street Bridge

Newport man enjoys same birthday as George Street Bridge

CELEBRATION: Andrew Morgan was born on the same day the George Street bridge was opened

FILM LOCATION: BBC's Casualty filmed scenes on George Street bridge in 2013

IMPORTANT ROUTE: George Street bridge in Newport

FRONT PAGE NEWS: The South Wales Argus front page on this day 50 years ago

First published in News
Last updated

TODAY marks exactly half a century since the official opening of Newport’s iconic George Street Bridge – a landmark birthday shared by a resident brought up only a stone’s throw away.

Andrew Morgan turned 50 today, and on the day of his birth at the St Woolos Hospital on April 9, 1964, the bridge billed as the answer to all traffic congestion problems was opened by the then town mayor, Councillor Trevor Vaughan.

Mr Morgan, who moved back to Newport ten years ago after more than a decade working away, said: “They were cutting my umbilical cord a few hours before the opening ceremony. It’s quite strange really – for a while I lived about 300 yards away from the bridge on Linton Street.

“It’s quite nice to think that I might be the only one in Newport to have been born on that day the same year – I don’t know anyone else myself. It’s quite strange, but actually quite special as well. I’m quite pleased to be a part of something special to Newport.”

Archive articles from the Argus explained how the workers who built the bridge were each given vouchers for seven pints of beer for them to spend in nearby pubs which had been given special extensions on what the paper called a “historic day”.

The Argus also printed a special supplement to mark its opening, with the headline “Goodbye Bottleneck”.

George Street Bridge saw the realisation of a 17-year “dream” by the local authority, which had hoped to ease traffic jams in the area.

The opening of the bridge, which cost more than £2 million to build with financial help from the Ministry of Transport, was designed to ease traffic congestion in “a town which has gained the unenviable reputation of being one of the worst bottle-necks in South Wales”, the Argus wrote.

The severe weather during the winter of 1962-63 proved a setback and the bridge was not finished on time – at the end of 1963.

More recently, the bridge has been used as a filming location. Last September, residents and passers-by looked on in horror as what appeared to be a limousine was seen dangling over the bridge’s edge. It was later confirmed by Gwent Police that it was a stunt used as part of filming for BBC TV’s drama series Casualty.

* For more stories from our archives, follow @argusarchive on Twitter.

Comments (1)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:12pm Wed 9 Apr 14

Foxyboy3rd says...

I remember as a 13 yr. old few of us kids and Mothers from our street walking over the bridge on the evening of its opening from Barnardtown way .
Now, as one who walks over the bridge regularly , I hope that Andrew is in a better state than the bridge.
I remember as a 13 yr. old few of us kids and Mothers from our street walking over the bridge on the evening of its opening from Barnardtown way . Now, as one who walks over the bridge regularly , I hope that Andrew is in a better state than the bridge. Foxyboy3rd
  • Score: -3

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree