Newport parents angry at bus pass price hike

South Wales Argus: Jayne Jones and her daughter Keeley angry about bus price hike for Keeley to get to Sixth Form. Pictured are Jayne Jones and her daughter Keeley at home in Llandevaud (6507628) Jayne Jones and her daughter Keeley angry about bus price hike for Keeley to get to Sixth Form. Pictured are Jayne Jones and her daughter Keeley at home in Llandevaud (6507628)

NEWPORT parents have been left outraged at council plans to drastically raise the cost of school transport.

Parents of sixth form students including those at Caerleon Comprehensive will soon be out of pocket as Newport council plans to increase the annual price of the school bus from around £40 a year to £347 a year.

This comes as Newport council’s cabinet member for education and young people cllr Bob Poole, approved the implementation of a fair charging policy for post-16 students in respect of home to school transport in June 2013.

Under the changes post-16 students who qualify for home to school transport assistance are eligible to receive a discretionary travel grant of £150 per academic year towards the actual cost of their travel to and from school.

Students will now have to pay £497 for an annual season ticket, offset by the travel grant to a price of £347.

But such a price hike has left parents like Jayne Jones, whose daughter attends the sixth form at Caerleon Comprehensive angry and concerned about how they are going to afford it.

“We are being asked to pay for a term that they are not even attending,” she said of students who receive time for study leave whereby they will not be using the transport.

“It used to be a fee of £40 to £45 but we have seen that go up by £300.

“I have just lost my job and it is not means tested.”

Students who are unable to access their catchment or nearest available school via Newport Transport services, have their travel provided on a contracted service and are eligible for the £150 travel grant contribution, and must pay a “top-up” fee to the calculated cost of a seat. These costs have not been revised for a number of years and as result pay a “top-up” fee of £45 per academic year.

This means there is a large disparity between the transport costs paid by post-16 students, dependent solely on where they live and where they attend school.

In a statement from Newport Council it said: “The Passenger Transport Team has calculated that the actual cost of a seat on a contracted bus is between £730 and £750 per year. Post-16 students accessing travel to school in this way are therefore benefitting significantly from hugely reduced transport costs. The council bears the cost of this subsidy, currently estimated to be in the region of £91,000 per year.

“Raising the cost to these students in line with the additional amount payable by students accessing Newport Transport services would reduce the financial subsidy to approximately £42,000 and result in them paying £347. This change will come into effect at the start of the autumn term 2014.

“Charging the full cost of the contract vehicle seat to the student would negate the subsidy. However, this would result in these students paying a cost in the region of £600 per year for their travel to school - a significant increase when compared with the current charge of £45.

“The council recognises that such a significant cost could cause financial hardship for some families and has agreed a phased implementation programme that will remove the subsidy in full by September 2017."

Comments (58)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:51am Mon 26 May 14

Thor at the door says...

Good. All the kids do on the bus, is swear, shout, have music blasting via their phones and put their feet on the seats.

Make them walk! Perhaps the bus service should run a course on "public transport etiquette"
Good. All the kids do on the bus, is swear, shout, have music blasting via their phones and put their feet on the seats. Make them walk! Perhaps the bus service should run a course on "public transport etiquette" Thor at the door
  • Score: -12

8:58am Mon 26 May 14

displayed says...

These costs have not been revised for a number of years and as result pay a “top-up” fee of £45 per academic year.

"This means there is a large disparity between the transport costs paid by post-16 students, dependent solely on where they live and where they attend school."

The cost of education steadily begins to rise, but those who plan the transport for it, need educating...........
..
The government bought in the busing system (just like the yanks), this created a privileged/non privileged culture.
It works "over there", it don't work "over here"...............


Now they have to start charging more for post-16 students, who did the sums in the first place!
Shouldn't they be reviewed annually?

Another excuse for parents to use their "chelsea tractors"...........
......
These costs have not been revised for a number of years and as result pay a “top-up” fee of £45 per academic year. "This means there is a large disparity between the transport costs paid by post-16 students, dependent solely on where they live and where they attend school." The cost of education steadily begins to rise, but those who plan the transport for it, need educating........... .. The government bought in the busing system (just like the yanks), this created a privileged/non privileged culture. It works "over there", it don't work "over here"............... Now they have to start charging more for post-16 students, who did the sums in the first place! Shouldn't they be reviewed annually? Another excuse for parents to use their "chelsea tractors"........... ...... displayed
  • Score: 10

9:41am Mon 26 May 14

john.hall1000 says...

Maybe the council and the bus companies should check the concessionary bus passes more often and catch out the people that either use someone else's or put their own photos on them to get free rides. Maybe they could save money that way.
Maybe the council and the bus companies should check the concessionary bus passes more often and catch out the people that either use someone else's or put their own photos on them to get free rides. Maybe they could save money that way. john.hall1000
  • Score: 17

9:46am Mon 26 May 14

Bobevans says...

Perhaps staggering of school hours so a School bus can serve more than one school would help. Quite often the buses and drivers for specific school services are only needed for the morning and afternoon school run which pushes up costs a lot as the buses are idle for much of the day and on School holidays and weekends
Perhaps staggering of school hours so a School bus can serve more than one school would help. Quite often the buses and drivers for specific school services are only needed for the morning and afternoon school run which pushes up costs a lot as the buses are idle for much of the day and on School holidays and weekends Bobevans
  • Score: 3

10:11am Mon 26 May 14

debb1369 says...

I am disgusted by the massive increase in the cost for a bus pass. I am a single parent of a child who will be starting her last year in 6th form in September. I have challenged the council about the increase and their reply was that the cost has not increased since 1996, children from other areas have been paying this for a while so basically pay it or my daughter cannot finish her education. My daughter cannot walk to school as its too far and too dangerous, there are no direct public transport links and I cannot take her there as I work. So therefore, I have no other options. The cost is for a pass for 2 journeys a day Monday to Friday for 39 weeks of the year. You can get a pass for Newport Transport for alot less which can be used 7 days a week for ANY bus at ANY time 52 weeks of the year!!!
My daughter will not even be there for 39 weeks due to study leave.
I have contacted local councillor Tom Suller in the hope he could help but he has not even bothered to reply.
Children from low income families are being disadvantaged and are at risk of not completing further education due to this massive increase. I thought that education was for all children and that children should not be discriminated against.
It's all well and good for Councillor Bob Poole to sit in his cosy little office and make all these decisions without actually thinking of the reality of the situation.
I understand that increases have to be made but surely the hike from 45 to 347 in 1 school year and with only 3 weeks notice is unfair and unjust.
Apparently, bus pass prices have not increased since 1996 so it looks like the council have just decided to add on the last 18 years increase as I was quite clearly told by the council that they have made a mistake over the last 18 years. Therefore how is it fair that we have to pay the price for the council's inability to do their job properly.
I hope that more parent's back this and may be something can be done.
According to Newport CIty Council website, every child has a right to education from the age of 3 - 18. Obviously only to the age of 18 if your parents can afford the bus pass.
I am disgusted by the massive increase in the cost for a bus pass. I am a single parent of a child who will be starting her last year in 6th form in September. I have challenged the council about the increase and their reply was that the cost has not increased since 1996, children from other areas have been paying this for a while so basically pay it or my daughter cannot finish her education. My daughter cannot walk to school as its too far and too dangerous, there are no direct public transport links and I cannot take her there as I work. So therefore, I have no other options. The cost is for a pass for 2 journeys a day Monday to Friday for 39 weeks of the year. You can get a pass for Newport Transport for alot less which can be used 7 days a week for ANY bus at ANY time 52 weeks of the year!!! My daughter will not even be there for 39 weeks due to study leave. I have contacted local councillor Tom Suller in the hope he could help but he has not even bothered to reply. Children from low income families are being disadvantaged and are at risk of not completing further education due to this massive increase. I thought that education was for all children and that children should not be discriminated against. It's all well and good for Councillor Bob Poole to sit in his cosy little office and make all these decisions without actually thinking of the reality of the situation. I understand that increases have to be made but surely the hike from 45 to 347 in 1 school year and with only 3 weeks notice is unfair and unjust. Apparently, bus pass prices have not increased since 1996 so it looks like the council have just decided to add on the last 18 years increase as I was quite clearly told by the council that they have made a mistake over the last 18 years. Therefore how is it fair that we have to pay the price for the council's inability to do their job properly. I hope that more parent's back this and may be something can be done. According to Newport CIty Council website, every child has a right to education from the age of 3 - 18. Obviously only to the age of 18 if your parents can afford the bus pass. debb1369
  • Score: 20

10:26am Mon 26 May 14

Mr Bump. says...

debb1369 wrote:
I am disgusted by the massive increase in the cost for a bus pass. I am a single parent of a child who will be starting her last year in 6th form in September. I have challenged the council about the increase and their reply was that the cost has not increased since 1996, children from other areas have been paying this for a while so basically pay it or my daughter cannot finish her education. My daughter cannot walk to school as its too far and too dangerous, there are no direct public transport links and I cannot take her there as I work. So therefore, I have no other options. The cost is for a pass for 2 journeys a day Monday to Friday for 39 weeks of the year. You can get a pass for Newport Transport for alot less which can be used 7 days a week for ANY bus at ANY time 52 weeks of the year!!!
My daughter will not even be there for 39 weeks due to study leave.
I have contacted local councillor Tom Suller in the hope he could help but he has not even bothered to reply.
Children from low income families are being disadvantaged and are at risk of not completing further education due to this massive increase. I thought that education was for all children and that children should not be discriminated against.
It's all well and good for Councillor Bob Poole to sit in his cosy little office and make all these decisions without actually thinking of the reality of the situation.
I understand that increases have to be made but surely the hike from 45 to 347 in 1 school year and with only 3 weeks notice is unfair and unjust.
Apparently, bus pass prices have not increased since 1996 so it looks like the council have just decided to add on the last 18 years increase as I was quite clearly told by the council that they have made a mistake over the last 18 years. Therefore how is it fair that we have to pay the price for the council's inability to do their job properly.
I hope that more parent's back this and may be something can be done.
According to Newport CIty Council website, every child has a right to education from the age of 3 - 18. Obviously only to the age of 18 if your parents can afford the bus pass.
Buy your daughter a bicycle, it's cheaper than the bus pass and will do her the world of good. Your daughter is 17/18 years of age, what do you mean by her walking to school is too dangerous? I think you molly coddle her too much.
[quote][p][bold]debb1369[/bold] wrote: I am disgusted by the massive increase in the cost for a bus pass. I am a single parent of a child who will be starting her last year in 6th form in September. I have challenged the council about the increase and their reply was that the cost has not increased since 1996, children from other areas have been paying this for a while so basically pay it or my daughter cannot finish her education. My daughter cannot walk to school as its too far and too dangerous, there are no direct public transport links and I cannot take her there as I work. So therefore, I have no other options. The cost is for a pass for 2 journeys a day Monday to Friday for 39 weeks of the year. You can get a pass for Newport Transport for alot less which can be used 7 days a week for ANY bus at ANY time 52 weeks of the year!!! My daughter will not even be there for 39 weeks due to study leave. I have contacted local councillor Tom Suller in the hope he could help but he has not even bothered to reply. Children from low income families are being disadvantaged and are at risk of not completing further education due to this massive increase. I thought that education was for all children and that children should not be discriminated against. It's all well and good for Councillor Bob Poole to sit in his cosy little office and make all these decisions without actually thinking of the reality of the situation. I understand that increases have to be made but surely the hike from 45 to 347 in 1 school year and with only 3 weeks notice is unfair and unjust. Apparently, bus pass prices have not increased since 1996 so it looks like the council have just decided to add on the last 18 years increase as I was quite clearly told by the council that they have made a mistake over the last 18 years. Therefore how is it fair that we have to pay the price for the council's inability to do their job properly. I hope that more parent's back this and may be something can be done. According to Newport CIty Council website, every child has a right to education from the age of 3 - 18. Obviously only to the age of 18 if your parents can afford the bus pass.[/p][/quote]Buy your daughter a bicycle, it's cheaper than the bus pass and will do her the world of good. Your daughter is 17/18 years of age, what do you mean by her walking to school is too dangerous? I think you molly coddle her too much. Mr Bump.
  • Score: -19

11:06am Mon 26 May 14

debb1369 says...

Mr Bump.... I certainly do not Molly coddle my daughter at all however if putting my daughter's safety first is seen as molly coddling then yes I do molly coddle her!!! The roads she would have to walk have seen many fatalities plus she would have to leave at 7am each morning, quite dangerous on a dark winters morning. She already has a bike but no way will I allow her to risk her life due to the council's inefficiency to do their job properly. Maybe you aren't affected by this so it's quite easy for you to give advice.
Mr Bump.... I certainly do not Molly coddle my daughter at all however if putting my daughter's safety first is seen as molly coddling then yes I do molly coddle her!!! The roads she would have to walk have seen many fatalities plus she would have to leave at 7am each morning, quite dangerous on a dark winters morning. She already has a bike but no way will I allow her to risk her life due to the council's inefficiency to do their job properly. Maybe you aren't affected by this so it's quite easy for you to give advice. debb1369
  • Score: 16

11:16am Mon 26 May 14

Mr Bump. says...

I am affected by this, i have to subsidise your daughters transport, whilst i am seeing council services cut, left ,right and centre. Tell her to get a Saturday job if you don't want her riding or walking to school, to pay for her own transport. Don't expect me to have to pay for it.
I am affected by this, i have to subsidise your daughters transport, whilst i am seeing council services cut, left ,right and centre. Tell her to get a Saturday job if you don't want her riding or walking to school, to pay for her own transport. Don't expect me to have to pay for it. Mr Bump.
  • Score: -19

11:20am Mon 26 May 14

Mr Bump. says...

Oh and it doesn't take almost two hours to walk to Duffryn high school from Marshfield. Or are you one of these people who don't send their child to their local school?
Oh and it doesn't take almost two hours to walk to Duffryn high school from Marshfield. Or are you one of these people who don't send their child to their local school? Mr Bump.
  • Score: -20

11:41am Mon 26 May 14

debb1369 says...

Mr Bump. My local school isn't Duffryn it is Bassaleg as we are within catchment. And only if is was so easy to get a Saturday job. You have no idea how many jobs she has applied for. I also subsidise things as I am a tax payer too and have been all my life. I not opposed to contributing to paying towards her transport, what I am opposed to is the massive hike in the cost due the council's inefficiency to do their job properly. You are completely missing the point
Mr Bump. My local school isn't Duffryn it is Bassaleg as we are within catchment. And only if is was so easy to get a Saturday job. You have no idea how many jobs she has applied for. I also subsidise things as I am a tax payer too and have been all my life. I not opposed to contributing to paying towards her transport, what I am opposed to is the massive hike in the cost due the council's inefficiency to do their job properly. You are completely missing the point debb1369
  • Score: 20

11:49am Mon 26 May 14

dave131628 says...

as a 30+ yrs man who happens to be over 6ft tall, whenever i use public transport I tend to put my feet up on the seats as the leg room is soo crapped it causes problems however long gone those days when adults were allowed to smoke on buses and trains it used to a fear of choking esp as all the smokers would blow they smoke in your face and now you complain about a bit of dirty of a shoe? well that be the least of my worries as you can catch more germs from the money in your hand,

now back to school transport, some people may say it's right but others may disagree but when young adults and young children get snatched every day you think parents will put they child at risk? well i believe everyone has a right to free education as well as free speech and if you live in an area where it is dangerous for your child to walk to school then the school should provide free transport esp as they will be the ones fining the parents if they child never attended.

as for you mr bumps, you are just a trool that goes around picking at things that you know nothing about, marshfield has 1 school which is a primary school and the nearest high school to this area is bassaleg, wish you luck on your goegraphy,

sorry if my spelling or grammar is poor but i never had the best education however i am glad i raised this issuse to emma mackintosh as a few councillors told me off the record that they will not pay the £497 either esp as newport bamboo price is £320 annually

I always raised an oline petition for those who are willing to sign it http://www.petitions
24.com/integrated_sc
hool_transport
as a 30+ yrs man who happens to be over 6ft tall, whenever i use public transport I tend to put my feet up on the seats as the leg room is soo crapped it causes problems however long gone those days when adults were allowed to smoke on buses and trains it used to a fear of choking esp as all the smokers would blow they smoke in your face and now you complain about a bit of dirty of a shoe? well that be the least of my worries as you can catch more germs from the money in your hand, now back to school transport, some people may say it's right but others may disagree but when young adults and young children get snatched every day you think parents will put they child at risk? well i believe everyone has a right to free education as well as free speech and if you live in an area where it is dangerous for your child to walk to school then the school should provide free transport esp as they will be the ones fining the parents if they child never attended. as for you mr bumps, you are just a trool that goes around picking at things that you know nothing about, marshfield has 1 school which is a primary school and the nearest high school to this area is bassaleg, wish you luck on your goegraphy, sorry if my spelling or grammar is poor but i never had the best education however i am glad i raised this issuse to emma mackintosh as a few councillors told me off the record that they will not pay the £497 either esp as newport bamboo price is £320 annually I always raised an oline petition for those who are willing to sign it http://www.petitions 24.com/integrated_sc hool_transport dave131628
  • Score: 17

11:57am Mon 26 May 14

debb1369 says...

Mr Bump whilst on the subject of subsidising, the youth of today are the tax payers of the future who will be subsidising YOUR pension so you will benefit in time.
Mr Bump whilst on the subject of subsidising, the youth of today are the tax payers of the future who will be subsidising YOUR pension so you will benefit in time. debb1369
  • Score: 17

11:58am Mon 26 May 14

Mr Bump. says...

It doesn't take almost 2 hours to walk to Bassaleg either. The council are not hiking the cost because of inefficiency, they are having to cut back in all areas due to less funding from central government. I'm sorry but your daughter is a young adult, if she can't cross the road or ride a bicycle safely, maybe completing her A-levels and going on to university should be put on the back burner, and she could either get a job, or go on a training course at a college somewhere, but this would mean her having to, um, subsidise her own transport.
It doesn't take almost 2 hours to walk to Bassaleg either. The council are not hiking the cost because of inefficiency, they are having to cut back in all areas due to less funding from central government. I'm sorry but your daughter is a young adult, if she can't cross the road or ride a bicycle safely, maybe completing her A-levels and going on to university should be put on the back burner, and she could either get a job, or go on a training course at a college somewhere, but this would mean her having to, um, subsidise her own transport. Mr Bump.
  • Score: -25

12:10pm Mon 26 May 14

debb1369 says...

Mr Bump she has to be in school earlier than 9Am. It is due to inefficiency as the council have said prices have not risen since 1996 and they should have and they said they have no realised their mistake. You know nothing about my daughter's circumstances and as such aren't in a position to comment. Yes my daughter is a young adult and and you are being a but pathetic and quite selfish with your comments here. Maybe your child can get to school safely so lucky for them. If you are affected by this then it is quite obvious that you are fortunate enough to be in a financial position to pay £347 without any problem but the majority of people aren't. If all pupils gave up their education after the age of 16 such as you are suggesting then they would not get decent jobs hence the taxes they pay would be low so YOUR state pension would be affected. It's also about the future not only the present.
Mr Bump she has to be in school earlier than 9Am. It is due to inefficiency as the council have said prices have not risen since 1996 and they should have and they said they have no realised their mistake. You know nothing about my daughter's circumstances and as such aren't in a position to comment. Yes my daughter is a young adult and and you are being a but pathetic and quite selfish with your comments here. Maybe your child can get to school safely so lucky for them. If you are affected by this then it is quite obvious that you are fortunate enough to be in a financial position to pay £347 without any problem but the majority of people aren't. If all pupils gave up their education after the age of 16 such as you are suggesting then they would not get decent jobs hence the taxes they pay would be low so YOUR state pension would be affected. It's also about the future not only the present. debb1369
  • Score: 19

12:11pm Mon 26 May 14

Niomi Smart says...

The funny thing is, what Debb1369 is trying to say is that they are talking about the HIKE in price, not about paying the bus fare. We do not know each other's financial situation, so it's wrong to comment and judge.

If you have the guts to question an individuals intelligence it proves how spineless and pathetic you are. All Debb1369 is saying is that she care about her daughters' safety and her intelligence levels has nothing to do with that, so I don't see where you got that idea from. Yes, the bus fare for this year is a large sum, but if it was increase over the years GRADUALLY then there wouldn't be so much fuss but as its increased 18 years in one year, it's caused a hassle.
The funny thing is, what Debb1369 is trying to say is that they are talking about the HIKE in price, not about paying the bus fare. We do not know each other's financial situation, so it's wrong to comment and judge. If you have the guts to question an individuals intelligence it proves how spineless and pathetic you are. All Debb1369 is saying is that she care about her daughters' safety and her intelligence levels has nothing to do with that, so I don't see where you got that idea from. Yes, the bus fare for this year is a large sum, but if it was increase over the years GRADUALLY then there wouldn't be so much fuss but as its increased 18 years in one year, it's caused a hassle. Niomi Smart
  • Score: 16

12:18pm Mon 26 May 14

dave131628 says...

further more i would like to add that marshfield post code is CF3 and bassaleg is NP10 8NF which is a total of 4.4 miles and by googles maps the average walking distance time is 1hour 27mins , there for a child in marshfield would have to be up at 5am shower, dress, eat, get they school work ready then leave at 6:45am by this time they must watch out for dangerous drivers, poeple who abduct children. with this weather that means they will arrive at school for around 8:20 after avoiding all these issuses but to arriving soaking wet head to toe without any change of clothing. please sign this petition if you argee the costs should be LOWED
http://www.petitions
24.com/integrated_sc
hool_transport
further more i would like to add that marshfield post code is CF3 and bassaleg is NP10 8NF which is a total of 4.4 miles and by googles maps the average walking distance time is 1hour 27mins , there for a child in marshfield would have to be up at 5am shower, dress, eat, get they school work ready then leave at 6:45am by this time they must watch out for dangerous drivers, poeple who abduct children. with this weather that means they will arrive at school for around 8:20 after avoiding all these issuses but to arriving soaking wet head to toe without any change of clothing. please sign this petition if you argee the costs should be LOWED http://www.petitions 24.com/integrated_sc hool_transport dave131628
  • Score: 11

12:20pm Mon 26 May 14

Mr Bump. says...

Niomi Smart wrote:
The funny thing is, what Debb1369 is trying to say is that they are talking about the HIKE in price, not about paying the bus fare. We do not know each other's financial situation, so it's wrong to comment and judge.

If you have the guts to question an individuals intelligence it proves how spineless and pathetic you are. All Debb1369 is saying is that she care about her daughters' safety and her intelligence levels has nothing to do with that, so I don't see where you got that idea from. Yes, the bus fare for this year is a large sum, but if it was increase over the years GRADUALLY then there wouldn't be so much fuss but as its increased 18 years in one year, it's caused a hassle.
They'd have ended up paying more then, wouldn't they?
[quote][p][bold]Niomi Smart[/bold] wrote: The funny thing is, what Debb1369 is trying to say is that they are talking about the HIKE in price, not about paying the bus fare. We do not know each other's financial situation, so it's wrong to comment and judge. If you have the guts to question an individuals intelligence it proves how spineless and pathetic you are. All Debb1369 is saying is that she care about her daughters' safety and her intelligence levels has nothing to do with that, so I don't see where you got that idea from. Yes, the bus fare for this year is a large sum, but if it was increase over the years GRADUALLY then there wouldn't be so much fuss but as its increased 18 years in one year, it's caused a hassle.[/p][/quote]They'd have ended up paying more then, wouldn't they? Mr Bump.
  • Score: -19

12:21pm Mon 26 May 14

debb1369 says...

Mr Bump it's quite obvious that you are just on here to insult people and have no just comments or intelligent opinions. I'm not going to start getting into personal discussions with you as for one it is none of your business and you cannot seem to understand the point. Enjoy your subsidised pension when you claim it
Mr Bump it's quite obvious that you are just on here to insult people and have no just comments or intelligent opinions. I'm not going to start getting into personal discussions with you as for one it is none of your business and you cannot seem to understand the point. Enjoy your subsidised pension when you claim it debb1369
  • Score: 16

12:21pm Mon 26 May 14

dave131628 says...

Each year in the UK police forces record more than 500 offences of child abduction. In addition, more than 1,000 offences of kidnapping are recorded by police, though it’s not possible to tell how many involve children rather than adults. - taken from childabduction.org 500 children that is more then 1 a day!!
Each year in the UK police forces record more than 500 offences of child abduction. In addition, more than 1,000 offences of kidnapping are recorded by police, though it’s not possible to tell how many involve children rather than adults. - taken from childabduction.org 500 children that is more then 1 a day!! dave131628
  • Score: 11

12:23pm Mon 26 May 14

Niomi Smart says...

Mr Bump. wrote:
Niomi Smart wrote:
The funny thing is, what Debb1369 is trying to say is that they are talking about the HIKE in price, not about paying the bus fare. We do not know each other's financial situation, so it's wrong to comment and judge.

If you have the guts to question an individuals intelligence it proves how spineless and pathetic you are. All Debb1369 is saying is that she care about her daughters' safety and her intelligence levels has nothing to do with that, so I don't see where you got that idea from. Yes, the bus fare for this year is a large sum, but if it was increase over the years GRADUALLY then there wouldn't be so much fuss but as its increased 18 years in one year, it's caused a hassle.
They'd have ended up paying more then, wouldn't they?
Yes, G R A D U A L L Y pay more. You have clearly missed the point in what I just said.
[quote][p][bold]Mr Bump.[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Niomi Smart[/bold] wrote: The funny thing is, what Debb1369 is trying to say is that they are talking about the HIKE in price, not about paying the bus fare. We do not know each other's financial situation, so it's wrong to comment and judge. If you have the guts to question an individuals intelligence it proves how spineless and pathetic you are. All Debb1369 is saying is that she care about her daughters' safety and her intelligence levels has nothing to do with that, so I don't see where you got that idea from. Yes, the bus fare for this year is a large sum, but if it was increase over the years GRADUALLY then there wouldn't be so much fuss but as its increased 18 years in one year, it's caused a hassle.[/p][/quote]They'd have ended up paying more then, wouldn't they?[/p][/quote]Yes, G R A D U A L L Y pay more. You have clearly missed the point in what I just said. Niomi Smart
  • Score: 19

12:25pm Mon 26 May 14

Mr Bump. says...

debb1369 wrote:
Mr Bump she has to be in school earlier than 9Am. It is due to inefficiency as the council have said prices have not risen since 1996 and they should have and they said they have no realised their mistake. You know nothing about my daughter's circumstances and as such aren't in a position to comment. Yes my daughter is a young adult and and you are being a but pathetic and quite selfish with your comments here. Maybe your child can get to school safely so lucky for them. If you are affected by this then it is quite obvious that you are fortunate enough to be in a financial position to pay £347 without any problem but the majority of people aren't. If all pupils gave up their education after the age of 16 such as you are suggesting then they would not get decent jobs hence the taxes they pay would be low so YOUR state pension would be affected. It's also about the future not only the present.
I know she has to be in before 9am, that's why i said almost 2 hours. I am not well off, but my kids have been brought up well, and have an understanding of how to ride a bicycle safely.. I couldn't afford these charges, i wouldn't pay these charges. My two oldest children are both in the 6th form, i can assure you, they'd be riding their bikes if we had these fares imposed on us.
[quote][p][bold]debb1369[/bold] wrote: Mr Bump she has to be in school earlier than 9Am. It is due to inefficiency as the council have said prices have not risen since 1996 and they should have and they said they have no realised their mistake. You know nothing about my daughter's circumstances and as such aren't in a position to comment. Yes my daughter is a young adult and and you are being a but pathetic and quite selfish with your comments here. Maybe your child can get to school safely so lucky for them. If you are affected by this then it is quite obvious that you are fortunate enough to be in a financial position to pay £347 without any problem but the majority of people aren't. If all pupils gave up their education after the age of 16 such as you are suggesting then they would not get decent jobs hence the taxes they pay would be low so YOUR state pension would be affected. It's also about the future not only the present.[/p][/quote]I know she has to be in before 9am, that's why i said almost 2 hours. I am not well off, but my kids have been brought up well, and have an understanding of how to ride a bicycle safely.. I couldn't afford these charges, i wouldn't pay these charges. My two oldest children are both in the 6th form, i can assure you, they'd be riding their bikes if we had these fares imposed on us. Mr Bump.
  • Score: -23

12:26pm Mon 26 May 14

debb1369 says...

Thanks Niomi for your comments, you obviously understand the point here. It is about the MASSIVE hike not the fact that we have to pay. Certain people are getting too personal for no reason.
Thanks Niomi for your comments, you obviously understand the point here. It is about the MASSIVE hike not the fact that we have to pay. Certain people are getting too personal for no reason. debb1369
  • Score: 13

12:30pm Mon 26 May 14

Niomi Smart says...

debb1369 wrote:
Thanks Niomi for your comments, you obviously understand the point here. It is about the MASSIVE hike not the fact that we have to pay. Certain people are getting too personal for no reason.
It's no bother. At least I can see this side of the table instead of being all judgemental due to not having to pay the fees :)
[quote][p][bold]debb1369[/bold] wrote: Thanks Niomi for your comments, you obviously understand the point here. It is about the MASSIVE hike not the fact that we have to pay. Certain people are getting too personal for no reason.[/p][/quote]It's no bother. At least I can see this side of the table instead of being all judgemental due to not having to pay the fees :) Niomi Smart
  • Score: 10

12:31pm Mon 26 May 14

debb1369 says...

Mr Bump I'm glad your children have been brought up well as have my children and that you live close enough for you not to have to be forced to pay this massive increase. My daughter can also ride a bike and is a very intelligent and hard working young lady. This isn't and shouldn't be about slating people's personal circumstances. Again it is about the MASSIVE hike. If the charge was double triple or even quadrupled then this would not be causing so much uproar.
Mr Bump I'm glad your children have been brought up well as have my children and that you live close enough for you not to have to be forced to pay this massive increase. My daughter can also ride a bike and is a very intelligent and hard working young lady. This isn't and shouldn't be about slating people's personal circumstances. Again it is about the MASSIVE hike. If the charge was double triple or even quadrupled then this would not be causing so much uproar. debb1369
  • Score: 13

12:55pm Mon 26 May 14

Thor at the door says...

All these kind of people want everything for free. If you have kids, it's your problem to get the to school, not newport transports, or the tax payer!

People with kids think they are hard done by and the world owes them as it's "my kids"

Make them walk or get a bike to school, or get a paer round to pay for the bus fare!!
All these kind of people want everything for free. If you have kids, it's your problem to get the to school, not newport transports, or the tax payer! People with kids think they are hard done by and the world owes them as it's "my kids" Make them walk or get a bike to school, or get a paer round to pay for the bus fare!! Thor at the door
  • Score: -16

12:59pm Mon 26 May 14

Forgive Me If I'm Wrong says...

Mr Bump's totally unnecessary rudeness leaves me speechless!!!
Mr Bump's totally unnecessary rudeness leaves me speechless!!! Forgive Me If I'm Wrong
  • Score: 26

1:34pm Mon 26 May 14

Mr Bump. says...

Forgive Me If I'm Wrong wrote:
Mr Bump's totally unnecessary rudeness leaves me speechless!!!
Pardon? All i've suggested is the girl should ride a bike to school.
[quote][p][bold]Forgive Me If I'm Wrong[/bold] wrote: Mr Bump's totally unnecessary rudeness leaves me speechless!!![/p][/quote]Pardon? All i've suggested is the girl should ride a bike to school. Mr Bump.
  • Score: -17

1:46pm Mon 26 May 14

debb1369 says...

Thor at the door wrote:
All these kind of people want everything for free. If you have kids, it's your problem to get the to school, not newport transports, or the tax payer!

People with kids think they are hard done by and the world owes them as it's "my kids"

Make them walk or get a bike to school, or get a paer round to pay for the bus fare!!
I certainly don't want anything for free, it's about the MASSIVE hike. Another person who is missing the point. As for one of those people, you have no right to assume anything. I pay my share of taxes as do most other people
[quote][p][bold]Thor at the door[/bold] wrote: All these kind of people want everything for free. If you have kids, it's your problem to get the to school, not newport transports, or the tax payer! People with kids think they are hard done by and the world owes them as it's "my kids" Make them walk or get a bike to school, or get a paer round to pay for the bus fare!![/p][/quote]I certainly don't want anything for free, it's about the MASSIVE hike. Another person who is missing the point. As for one of those people, you have no right to assume anything. I pay my share of taxes as do most other people debb1369
  • Score: 16

1:48pm Mon 26 May 14

debb1369 says...

Mr Bump. wrote:
Forgive Me If I'm Wrong wrote:
Mr Bump's totally unnecessary rudeness leaves me speechless!!!
Pardon? All i've suggested is the girl should ride a bike to school.
You also questioned the fact that my daughter is sitting a levels, you were getting quite personal
[quote][p][bold]Mr Bump.[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Forgive Me If I'm Wrong[/bold] wrote: Mr Bump's totally unnecessary rudeness leaves me speechless!!![/p][/quote]Pardon? All i've suggested is the girl should ride a bike to school.[/p][/quote]You also questioned the fact that my daughter is sitting a levels, you were getting quite personal debb1369
  • Score: 15

1:51pm Mon 26 May 14

Niomi Smart says...

All that's being complained about IS THE H I K E. Not the P R I C E to pay. Read the comments before trying to make a point, because you'll just end up being stood up.
All that's being complained about IS THE H I K E. Not the P R I C E to pay. Read the comments before trying to make a point, because you'll just end up being stood up. Niomi Smart
  • Score: 10

2:06pm Mon 26 May 14

Thor at the door says...

debb1369 wrote:
Thor at the door wrote:
All these kind of people want everything for free. If you have kids, it's your problem to get the to school, not newport transports, or the tax payer!

People with kids think they are hard done by and the world owes them as it's "my kids"

Make them walk or get a bike to school, or get a paer round to pay for the bus fare!!
I certainly don't want anything for free, it's about the MASSIVE hike. Another person who is missing the point. As for one of those people, you have no right to assume anything. I pay my share of taxes as do most other people
Yes, it is a big increase. GET OVER IT!!! My virgin media bill has gone up 100% since inception, but I need it and want to use it, so I PAY!

I don't moan to the Argus about it! If you don't like it, use another means!

I get the point! As stated, it's all about the rights of "me and my kids" We all have to put up with price rises.
[quote][p][bold]debb1369[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Thor at the door[/bold] wrote: All these kind of people want everything for free. If you have kids, it's your problem to get the to school, not newport transports, or the tax payer! People with kids think they are hard done by and the world owes them as it's "my kids" Make them walk or get a bike to school, or get a paer round to pay for the bus fare!![/p][/quote]I certainly don't want anything for free, it's about the MASSIVE hike. Another person who is missing the point. As for one of those people, you have no right to assume anything. I pay my share of taxes as do most other people[/p][/quote]Yes, it is a big increase. GET OVER IT!!! My virgin media bill has gone up 100% since inception, but I need it and want to use it, so I PAY! I don't moan to the Argus about it! If you don't like it, use another means! I get the point! As stated, it's all about the rights of "me and my kids" We all have to put up with price rises. Thor at the door
  • Score: -22

2:07pm Mon 26 May 14

Mr Bump. says...

debb1369 wrote:
Mr Bump. wrote:
Forgive Me If I'm Wrong wrote:
Mr Bump's totally unnecessary rudeness leaves me speechless!!!
Pardon? All i've suggested is the girl should ride a bike to school.
You also questioned the fact that my daughter is sitting a levels, you were getting quite personal
No i never.
[quote][p][bold]debb1369[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Mr Bump.[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Forgive Me If I'm Wrong[/bold] wrote: Mr Bump's totally unnecessary rudeness leaves me speechless!!![/p][/quote]Pardon? All i've suggested is the girl should ride a bike to school.[/p][/quote]You also questioned the fact that my daughter is sitting a levels, you were getting quite personal[/p][/quote]No i never. Mr Bump.
  • Score: -18

2:09pm Mon 26 May 14

Mr Bump. says...

Why can't you use some of the child benefit you get towards the fares? You get £20.50 a week, use some of that.
Why can't you use some of the child benefit you get towards the fares? You get £20.50 a week, use some of that. Mr Bump.
  • Score: -24

3:04pm Mon 26 May 14

Nospin_1 says...

If they attend a WM school transport is free - assembly rules .!!!
If they attend a WM school transport is free - assembly rules .!!! Nospin_1
  • Score: -4

3:20pm Mon 26 May 14

Mr Bump. says...

Nospin_1 wrote:
If they attend a WM school transport is free - assembly rules .!!!
St Josephs too. I've long been advocating stopping free services to this school.
[quote][p][bold]Nospin_1[/bold] wrote: If they attend a WM school transport is free - assembly rules .!!![/p][/quote]St Josephs too. I've long been advocating stopping free services to this school. Mr Bump.
  • Score: -16

3:46pm Mon 26 May 14

debb1369 says...

Mr Bump. wrote:
debb1369 wrote:
Mr Bump. wrote:
Forgive Me If I'm Wrong wrote:
Mr Bump's totally unnecessary rudeness leaves me speechless!!!
Pardon? All i've suggested is the girl should ride a bike to school.
You also questioned the fact that my daughter is sitting a levels, you were getting quite personal
No i never.
Yes you did, you said if she can't cross a road safely or ride a bike safely then maybe A Levels aren't for her, along those lines
[quote][p][bold]Mr Bump.[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]debb1369[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Mr Bump.[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Forgive Me If I'm Wrong[/bold] wrote: Mr Bump's totally unnecessary rudeness leaves me speechless!!![/p][/quote]Pardon? All i've suggested is the girl should ride a bike to school.[/p][/quote]You also questioned the fact that my daughter is sitting a levels, you were getting quite personal[/p][/quote]No i never.[/p][/quote]Yes you did, you said if she can't cross a road safely or ride a bike safely then maybe A Levels aren't for her, along those lines debb1369
  • Score: 12

3:47pm Mon 26 May 14

debb1369 says...

Mr Bump. wrote:
Why can't you use some of the child benefit you get towards the fares? You get £20.50 a week, use some of that.
Once again you are completely missing the point. It's nit the fact that I have to pay for transport it's the 600% increase that I am opposed to!!!
[quote][p][bold]Mr Bump.[/bold] wrote: Why can't you use some of the child benefit you get towards the fares? You get £20.50 a week, use some of that.[/p][/quote]Once again you are completely missing the point. It's nit the fact that I have to pay for transport it's the 600% increase that I am opposed to!!! debb1369
  • Score: 12

3:52pm Mon 26 May 14

debb1369 says...

Thor at the door wrote:
debb1369 wrote:
Thor at the door wrote:
All these kind of people want everything for free. If you have kids, it's your problem to get the to school, not newport transports, or the tax payer!

People with kids think they are hard done by and the world owes them as it's "my kids"

Make them walk or get a bike to school, or get a paer round to pay for the bus fare!!
I certainly don't want anything for free, it's about the MASSIVE hike. Another person who is missing the point. As for one of those people, you have no right to assume anything. I pay my share of taxes as do most other people
Yes, it is a big increase. GET OVER IT!!! My virgin media bill has gone up 100% since inception, but I need it and want to use it, so I PAY!

I don't moan to the Argus about it! If you don't like it, use another means!

I get the point! As stated, it's all about the rights of "me and my kids" We all have to put up with price rises.
It's not about me and my kids at all. And you can't compare your TV package to an issue that effects children's education, how ridiculous. It's the 600% increae in one go that is the issue. Not the fact that's it's not free so you don't really understand the point at all!
[quote][p][bold]Thor at the door[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]debb1369[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Thor at the door[/bold] wrote: All these kind of people want everything for free. If you have kids, it's your problem to get the to school, not newport transports, or the tax payer! People with kids think they are hard done by and the world owes them as it's "my kids" Make them walk or get a bike to school, or get a paer round to pay for the bus fare!![/p][/quote]I certainly don't want anything for free, it's about the MASSIVE hike. Another person who is missing the point. As for one of those people, you have no right to assume anything. I pay my share of taxes as do most other people[/p][/quote]Yes, it is a big increase. GET OVER IT!!! My virgin media bill has gone up 100% since inception, but I need it and want to use it, so I PAY! I don't moan to the Argus about it! If you don't like it, use another means! I get the point! As stated, it's all about the rights of "me and my kids" We all have to put up with price rises.[/p][/quote]It's not about me and my kids at all. And you can't compare your TV package to an issue that effects children's education, how ridiculous. It's the 600% increae in one go that is the issue. Not the fact that's it's not free so you don't really understand the point at all! debb1369
  • Score: 13

4:00pm Mon 26 May 14

Mr Bump. says...

debb1369 wrote:
Mr Bump. wrote:
debb1369 wrote:
Mr Bump. wrote:
Forgive Me If I'm Wrong wrote:
Mr Bump's totally unnecessary rudeness leaves me speechless!!!
Pardon? All i've suggested is the girl should ride a bike to school.
You also questioned the fact that my daughter is sitting a levels, you were getting quite personal
No i never.
Yes you did, you said if she can't cross a road safely or ride a bike safely then maybe A Levels aren't for her, along those lines
How exactly is that questioning the fact your daughter is sitting A-levels?
[quote][p][bold]debb1369[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Mr Bump.[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]debb1369[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Mr Bump.[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Forgive Me If I'm Wrong[/bold] wrote: Mr Bump's totally unnecessary rudeness leaves me speechless!!![/p][/quote]Pardon? All i've suggested is the girl should ride a bike to school.[/p][/quote]You also questioned the fact that my daughter is sitting a levels, you were getting quite personal[/p][/quote]No i never.[/p][/quote]Yes you did, you said if she can't cross a road safely or ride a bike safely then maybe A Levels aren't for her, along those lines[/p][/quote]How exactly is that questioning the fact your daughter is sitting A-levels? Mr Bump.
  • Score: -21

4:51pm Mon 26 May 14

Forgive Me If I'm Wrong says...

debb1369 wrote:
Mr Bump. wrote:
debb1369 wrote:
Mr Bump. wrote:
Forgive Me If I'm Wrong wrote:
Mr Bump's totally unnecessary rudeness leaves me speechless!!!
Pardon? All i've suggested is the girl should ride a bike to school.
You also questioned the fact that my daughter is sitting a levels, you were getting quite personal
No i never.
Yes you did, you said if she can't cross a road safely or ride a bike safely then maybe A Levels aren't for her, along those lines
I would not give Mr Bump the satisfaction of a response. His agenda is clear and has nothing at all to do with the cost of student travel. It appears his rudest comment has, quite rightly, been deleted.
[quote][p][bold]debb1369[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Mr Bump.[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]debb1369[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Mr Bump.[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Forgive Me If I'm Wrong[/bold] wrote: Mr Bump's totally unnecessary rudeness leaves me speechless!!![/p][/quote]Pardon? All i've suggested is the girl should ride a bike to school.[/p][/quote]You also questioned the fact that my daughter is sitting a levels, you were getting quite personal[/p][/quote]No i never.[/p][/quote]Yes you did, you said if she can't cross a road safely or ride a bike safely then maybe A Levels aren't for her, along those lines[/p][/quote]I would not give Mr Bump the satisfaction of a response. His agenda is clear and has nothing at all to do with the cost of student travel. It appears his rudest comment has, quite rightly, been deleted. Forgive Me If I'm Wrong
  • Score: 27

6:39pm Mon 26 May 14

lendmeafiver says...

Any reasonable person would be annoyed at such a large increase imposed on them due to short comings of the council. My son travels to school in torfaen at a cost of £12 a week to us so your price is competitive. It's the sudden rise that is not fair to you and should be brought on over a few years.
Any reasonable person would be annoyed at such a large increase imposed on them due to short comings of the council. My son travels to school in torfaen at a cost of £12 a week to us so your price is competitive. It's the sudden rise that is not fair to you and should be brought on over a few years. lendmeafiver
  • Score: 17

7:28pm Mon 26 May 14

debb1369 says...

lendmeafiver wrote:
Any reasonable person would be annoyed at such a large increase imposed on them due to short comings of the council. My son travels to school in torfaen at a cost of £12 a week to us so your price is competitive. It's the sudden rise that is not fair to you and should be brought on over a few years.
Thanks that is exactly my point, the sudden 600% increase not the actual cost
[quote][p][bold]lendmeafiver[/bold] wrote: Any reasonable person would be annoyed at such a large increase imposed on them due to short comings of the council. My son travels to school in torfaen at a cost of £12 a week to us so your price is competitive. It's the sudden rise that is not fair to you and should be brought on over a few years.[/p][/quote]Thanks that is exactly my point, the sudden 600% increase not the actual cost debb1369
  • Score: 19

9:10pm Mon 26 May 14

Mwy Eira says...

Mr Bump. wrote:
Nospin_1 wrote:
If they attend a WM school transport is free - assembly rules .!!!
St Josephs too. I've long been advocating stopping free services to this school.
You are both wrong. All children, regardless of whether they attend English Medium, Welsh Medium or St Josephs are subject to exactly the same criteria for free school transport. I suggest you check your facts first.
[quote][p][bold]Mr Bump.[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Nospin_1[/bold] wrote: If they attend a WM school transport is free - assembly rules .!!![/p][/quote]St Josephs too. I've long been advocating stopping free services to this school.[/p][/quote]You are both wrong. All children, regardless of whether they attend English Medium, Welsh Medium or St Josephs are subject to exactly the same criteria for free school transport. I suggest you check your facts first. Mwy Eira
  • Score: 19

9:24pm Mon 26 May 14

Mwy Eira says...

So how many will now leave further education? It doesn't take much intelligence to realise that better qualifications means the opportunity better pay and in turn these better earners will pay more taxes. If this hike means young people will be put off then the Labour controlled council should be ashamed of themselves. Or would they prefer our 16 year olds to be on benefits with a couple of kids in tow?
So how many will now leave further education? It doesn't take much intelligence to realise that better qualifications means the opportunity better pay and in turn these better earners will pay more taxes. If this hike means young people will be put off then the Labour controlled council should be ashamed of themselves. Or would they prefer our 16 year olds to be on benefits with a couple of kids in tow? Mwy Eira
  • Score: 17

3:51pm Tue 27 May 14

-trigg- says...

First, let me say that I agree that the rate of increase is obscene, as is the apparent lack of notice given. If my child were affected by this in the specific circumstances I too would be complaining - it can't be right to require an annual payment for something that will only be used for a few months, perhaps a term-by-term arrangement would be more appropriate.

However, despite the argumentative tone taken by an earlier poster, a bicycle remains a valid option if you are unwilling or unable to pay this fee. A distance of less than 5 miles should take under 30 minutes to complete and would also provide a boost to health and general fitness. In my youth I regularly completed a journey of twice that distance to school by bike without suffering any ill effects.
First, let me say that I agree that the rate of increase is obscene, as is the apparent lack of notice given. If my child were affected by this in the specific circumstances I too would be complaining - it can't be right to require an annual payment for something that will only be used for a few months, perhaps a term-by-term arrangement would be more appropriate. However, despite the argumentative tone taken by an earlier poster, a bicycle remains a valid option if you are unwilling or unable to pay this fee. A distance of less than 5 miles should take under 30 minutes to complete and would also provide a boost to health and general fitness. In my youth I regularly completed a journey of twice that distance to school by bike without suffering any ill effects. -trigg-
  • Score: -13

8:50pm Tue 27 May 14

NAC123 says...

I think the amount of rise and the short notice is extremely unfair. For people on low incomes this is a significant amount of money.
Can I clarify that we are talking Marshfield to Bassaleg here and people are actually suggesting to ride a bike on either the main road and bypass or the lanes through Cefn Mabley???? Seriously what is wrong with u people; that is not safe in any way shape or form!!!!!
I think the amount of rise and the short notice is extremely unfair. For people on low incomes this is a significant amount of money. Can I clarify that we are talking Marshfield to Bassaleg here and people are actually suggesting to ride a bike on either the main road and bypass or the lanes through Cefn Mabley???? Seriously what is wrong with u people; that is not safe in any way shape or form!!!!! NAC123
  • Score: 15

9:41pm Tue 27 May 14

Mwy Eira says...

-trigg- wrote:
First, let me say that I agree that the rate of increase is obscene, as is the apparent lack of notice given. If my child were affected by this in the specific circumstances I too would be complaining - it can't be right to require an annual payment for something that will only be used for a few months, perhaps a term-by-term arrangement would be more appropriate.

However, despite the argumentative tone taken by an earlier poster, a bicycle remains a valid option if you are unwilling or unable to pay this fee. A distance of less than 5 miles should take under 30 minutes to complete and would also provide a boost to health and general fitness. In my youth I regularly completed a journey of twice that distance to school by bike without suffering any ill effects.
Believe it or not some have a journey a lot further than 5 miles.
[quote][p][bold]-trigg-[/bold] wrote: First, let me say that I agree that the rate of increase is obscene, as is the apparent lack of notice given. If my child were affected by this in the specific circumstances I too would be complaining - it can't be right to require an annual payment for something that will only be used for a few months, perhaps a term-by-term arrangement would be more appropriate. However, despite the argumentative tone taken by an earlier poster, a bicycle remains a valid option if you are unwilling or unable to pay this fee. A distance of less than 5 miles should take under 30 minutes to complete and would also provide a boost to health and general fitness. In my youth I regularly completed a journey of twice that distance to school by bike without suffering any ill effects.[/p][/quote]Believe it or not some have a journey a lot further than 5 miles. Mwy Eira
  • Score: 15

9:42pm Tue 27 May 14

debb1369 says...

NAC123 wrote:
I think the amount of rise and the short notice is extremely unfair. For people on low incomes this is a significant amount of money.
Can I clarify that we are talking Marshfield to Bassaleg here and people are actually suggesting to ride a bike on either the main road and bypass or the lanes through Cefn Mabley???? Seriously what is wrong with u people; that is not safe in any way shape or form!!!!!
I am referring to that route but it's all 6th form pupils that will be affected. I agree that a bike isn't a viable option due to the dangerous roads
[quote][p][bold]NAC123[/bold] wrote: I think the amount of rise and the short notice is extremely unfair. For people on low incomes this is a significant amount of money. Can I clarify that we are talking Marshfield to Bassaleg here and people are actually suggesting to ride a bike on either the main road and bypass or the lanes through Cefn Mabley???? Seriously what is wrong with u people; that is not safe in any way shape or form!!!!![/p][/quote]I am referring to that route but it's all 6th form pupils that will be affected. I agree that a bike isn't a viable option due to the dangerous roads debb1369
  • Score: 14

9:45pm Tue 27 May 14

debb1369 says...

Mwy Eira wrote:
-trigg- wrote:
First, let me say that I agree that the rate of increase is obscene, as is the apparent lack of notice given. If my child were affected by this in the specific circumstances I too would be complaining - it can't be right to require an annual payment for something that will only be used for a few months, perhaps a term-by-term arrangement would be more appropriate.

However, despite the argumentative tone taken by an earlier poster, a bicycle remains a valid option if you are unwilling or unable to pay this fee. A distance of less than 5 miles should take under 30 minutes to complete and would also provide a boost to health and general fitness. In my youth I regularly completed a journey of twice that distance to school by bike without suffering any ill effects.
Believe it or not some have a journey a lot further than 5 miles.
Not sure if I'm the argumentative person you are referring, even though I was just standing my ground, to but it's not the distance that is the issue, there is NO safe cycle route. Again it's not about the cost it's the sudden 600% increase in one go that is the issue.
[quote][p][bold]Mwy Eira[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]-trigg-[/bold] wrote: First, let me say that I agree that the rate of increase is obscene, as is the apparent lack of notice given. If my child were affected by this in the specific circumstances I too would be complaining - it can't be right to require an annual payment for something that will only be used for a few months, perhaps a term-by-term arrangement would be more appropriate. However, despite the argumentative tone taken by an earlier poster, a bicycle remains a valid option if you are unwilling or unable to pay this fee. A distance of less than 5 miles should take under 30 minutes to complete and would also provide a boost to health and general fitness. In my youth I regularly completed a journey of twice that distance to school by bike without suffering any ill effects.[/p][/quote]Believe it or not some have a journey a lot further than 5 miles.[/p][/quote]Not sure if I'm the argumentative person you are referring, even though I was just standing my ground, to but it's not the distance that is the issue, there is NO safe cycle route. Again it's not about the cost it's the sudden 600% increase in one go that is the issue. debb1369
  • Score: 14

9:53pm Tue 27 May 14

Mwy Eira says...

debb1369 wrote:
Mwy Eira wrote:
-trigg- wrote:
First, let me say that I agree that the rate of increase is obscene, as is the apparent lack of notice given. If my child were affected by this in the specific circumstances I too would be complaining - it can't be right to require an annual payment for something that will only be used for a few months, perhaps a term-by-term arrangement would be more appropriate.

However, despite the argumentative tone taken by an earlier poster, a bicycle remains a valid option if you are unwilling or unable to pay this fee. A distance of less than 5 miles should take under 30 minutes to complete and would also provide a boost to health and general fitness. In my youth I regularly completed a journey of twice that distance to school by bike without suffering any ill effects.
Believe it or not some have a journey a lot further than 5 miles.
Not sure if I'm the argumentative person you are referring, even though I was just standing my ground, to but it's not the distance that is the issue, there is NO safe cycle route. Again it's not about the cost it's the sudden 600% increase in one go that is the issue.
Things have really changed since we were a 'youth'. I certainly wouldn't cycle that route myself let alone allow a 16 year old to.
[quote][p][bold]debb1369[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Mwy Eira[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]-trigg-[/bold] wrote: First, let me say that I agree that the rate of increase is obscene, as is the apparent lack of notice given. If my child were affected by this in the specific circumstances I too would be complaining - it can't be right to require an annual payment for something that will only be used for a few months, perhaps a term-by-term arrangement would be more appropriate. However, despite the argumentative tone taken by an earlier poster, a bicycle remains a valid option if you are unwilling or unable to pay this fee. A distance of less than 5 miles should take under 30 minutes to complete and would also provide a boost to health and general fitness. In my youth I regularly completed a journey of twice that distance to school by bike without suffering any ill effects.[/p][/quote]Believe it or not some have a journey a lot further than 5 miles.[/p][/quote]Not sure if I'm the argumentative person you are referring, even though I was just standing my ground, to but it's not the distance that is the issue, there is NO safe cycle route. Again it's not about the cost it's the sudden 600% increase in one go that is the issue.[/p][/quote]Things have really changed since we were a 'youth'. I certainly wouldn't cycle that route myself let alone allow a 16 year old to. Mwy Eira
  • Score: 15

2:59pm Wed 28 May 14

Lliswerry Man says...

Thor at the door wrote:
All these kind of people want everything for free. If you have kids, it's your problem to get the to school, not newport transports, or the tax payer!

People with kids think they are hard done by and the world owes them as it's "my kids"

Make them walk or get a bike to school, or get a paer round to pay for the bus fare!!
And who are "there kind of people" ? are you another "one of Them" sit at home gripers who watch Jeremy Kyle and brainwash yourself into believing all his hype?

These are REAL people /young people, who at a time when they should be concentrating on Exams, and leaving school to be productive in society, to pay mostly for the current and future "pensions", are being forced to worry about travel costs to and from school, the worry of traffic, being kidnapped.

WE no longer live in the past, where in YOUR versions of the world, everyone walked to school, it was safe, we had fun and made daisy chains.... well guess what, its no longer that world and was not so safe back then either, and its even worse these days, which is why school transport is the safest form of getting children/young adults to and from.

This does not affect me in so much, I wasted my money taking my child across town to get her education, but not all families are so fortunate to be able to do that, Shift workers, Night Workers etc. Then we have some of the children, who need assistance, with varying levels of disability, , are you suggesting they too, should "ride a bike" or "walk" alongside our dangerous Highways, where only recently a lorry overturned?, a child was run over, cars crashing through barriers? or catching fire.

If parents in BUMP's version of the world, are Molly Cuddling their kids, so what?, at least they care and do not simply abandon their kids or let them become latch key kids, whilst Mum and Dad are down the "boozer"...

What we have here , is the Jeremy Kyle attitude from both Bump and his son Thor.."I pay my taxes to support you all"... well actually NO, like Jeremy Kyle you do not... YOU pay taxes... YOU do not support us ALL... we manage that ALL by ourselves...... your taxes... depending on your "income" level probably just about covers your own Healthcare.......or the local services you use.

The mass population through varying taxes, cigarettes, alcohol, vehicles ( highly taxed ) work taxes, duty taxes on property, to name a few are what ultimately pays for most Local services.... its the way The Local Authority decides to impliment it, is the problem... 90Mill loan to a shopping centre... yet force future workers, / children to pay extra for buses?

However....... I also feel that children should go to the nearest school to them and parents should take this into account when moving to any location, I myself moved out of walking distance of my daughters school, and had to take my child to school by car, Not a perfect solution, but for us it worked, I know it does not work for everyone, and this is what Bump and Thor miss... they live in some ideal world, where if they did not have to subsidise school children or "them people" they would have loads of money to spend on.... jelly beans maybe.
[quote][p][bold]Thor at the door[/bold] wrote: All these kind of people want everything for free. If you have kids, it's your problem to get the to school, not newport transports, or the tax payer! People with kids think they are hard done by and the world owes them as it's "my kids" Make them walk or get a bike to school, or get a paer round to pay for the bus fare!![/p][/quote]And who are "there kind of people" ? are you another "one of Them" sit at home gripers who watch Jeremy Kyle and brainwash yourself into believing all his hype? These are REAL people /young people, who at a time when they should be concentrating on Exams, and leaving school to be productive in society, to pay mostly for the current and future "pensions", are being forced to worry about travel costs to and from school, the worry of traffic, being kidnapped. WE no longer live in the past, where in YOUR versions of the world, everyone walked to school, it was safe, we had fun and made daisy chains.... well guess what, its no longer that world and was not so safe back then either, and its even worse these days, which is why school transport is the safest form of getting children/young adults to and from. This does not affect me in so much, I wasted my money taking my child across town to get her education, but not all families are so fortunate to be able to do that, Shift workers, Night Workers etc. Then we have some of the children, who need assistance, with varying levels of disability, , are you suggesting they too, should "ride a bike" or "walk" alongside our dangerous Highways, where only recently a lorry overturned?, a child was run over, cars crashing through barriers? or catching fire. If parents in BUMP's version of the world, are Molly Cuddling their kids, so what?, at least they care and do not simply abandon their kids or let them become latch key kids, whilst Mum and Dad are down the "boozer"... What we have here , is the Jeremy Kyle attitude from both Bump and his son Thor.."I pay my taxes to support you all"... well actually NO, like Jeremy Kyle you do not... YOU pay taxes... YOU do not support us ALL... we manage that ALL by ourselves...... your taxes... depending on your "income" level probably just about covers your own Healthcare.......or the local services you use. The mass population through varying taxes, cigarettes, alcohol, vehicles ( highly taxed ) work taxes, duty taxes on property, to name a few are what ultimately pays for most Local services.... its the way The Local Authority decides to impliment it, is the problem... 90Mill loan to a shopping centre... yet force future workers, / children to pay extra for buses? However....... I also feel that children should go to the nearest school to them and parents should take this into account when moving to any location, I myself moved out of walking distance of my daughters school, and had to take my child to school by car, Not a perfect solution, but for us it worked, I know it does not work for everyone, and this is what Bump and Thor miss... they live in some ideal world, where if they did not have to subsidise school children or "them people" they would have loads of money to spend on.... jelly beans maybe. Lliswerry Man
  • Score: 15

3:43pm Wed 28 May 14

jayjae says...

Mr Bump. wrote:
debb1369 wrote: Mr Bump she has to be in school earlier than 9Am. It is due to inefficiency as the council have said prices have not risen since 1996 and they should have and they said they have no realised their mistake. You know nothing about my daughter's circumstances and as such aren't in a position to comment. Yes my daughter is a young adult and and you are being a but pathetic and quite selfish with your comments here. Maybe your child can get to school safely so lucky for them. If you are affected by this then it is quite obvious that you are fortunate enough to be in a financial position to pay £347 without any problem but the majority of people aren't. If all pupils gave up their education after the age of 16 such as you are suggesting then they would not get decent jobs hence the taxes they pay would be low so YOUR state pension would be affected. It's also about the future not only the present.
I know she has to be in before 9am, that's why i said almost 2 hours. I am not well off, but my kids have been brought up well, and have an understanding of how to ride a bicycle safely.. I couldn't afford these charges, i wouldn't pay these charges. My two oldest children are both in the 6th form, i can assure you, they'd be riding their bikes if we had these fares imposed on us.
Well Mr Bump you have answered the question in a nutshell, it doesn't affect you but you have also said that you could not and would not pay this charge, so try and put yourself in our shoes. Unlike you we have no choice if we want our children to go to 6th form. It is more then 5 miles for my children to go to school and riding a bike through country lanes in the dark with no street lights is just not an option, their safety comes first. Especially as the contracted bus has to come to the village for the younger children by law, it is then an unavoidable cost, the 6th formers are not adding to this cost , except for now as the council are going to pay them £150 to not get on the bus, so they have infact increased the cost.
[quote][p][bold]Mr Bump.[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]debb1369[/bold] wrote: Mr Bump she has to be in school earlier than 9Am. It is due to inefficiency as the council have said prices have not risen since 1996 and they should have and they said they have no realised their mistake. You know nothing about my daughter's circumstances and as such aren't in a position to comment. Yes my daughter is a young adult and and you are being a but pathetic and quite selfish with your comments here. Maybe your child can get to school safely so lucky for them. If you are affected by this then it is quite obvious that you are fortunate enough to be in a financial position to pay £347 without any problem but the majority of people aren't. If all pupils gave up their education after the age of 16 such as you are suggesting then they would not get decent jobs hence the taxes they pay would be low so YOUR state pension would be affected. It's also about the future not only the present.[/p][/quote]I know she has to be in before 9am, that's why i said almost 2 hours. I am not well off, but my kids have been brought up well, and have an understanding of how to ride a bicycle safely.. I couldn't afford these charges, i wouldn't pay these charges. My two oldest children are both in the 6th form, i can assure you, they'd be riding their bikes if we had these fares imposed on us.[/p][/quote]Well Mr Bump you have answered the question in a nutshell, it doesn't affect you but you have also said that you could not and would not pay this charge, so try and put yourself in our shoes. Unlike you we have no choice if we want our children to go to 6th form. It is more then 5 miles for my children to go to school and riding a bike through country lanes in the dark with no street lights is just not an option, their safety comes first. Especially as the contracted bus has to come to the village for the younger children by law, it is then an unavoidable cost, the 6th formers are not adding to this cost , except for now as the council are going to pay them £150 to not get on the bus, so they have infact increased the cost. jayjae
  • Score: 8

3:48pm Wed 28 May 14

jayjae says...

Nospin_1 wrote:
If they attend a WM school transport is free - assembly rules .!!!
Please tell me that this isn't true or this is, in itself, discrimination!
[quote][p][bold]Nospin_1[/bold] wrote: If they attend a WM school transport is free - assembly rules .!!![/p][/quote]Please tell me that this isn't true or this is, in itself, discrimination! jayjae
  • Score: 0

9:32pm Wed 28 May 14

Mwy Eira says...

jayjae wrote:
Nospin_1 wrote:
If they attend a WM school transport is free - assembly rules .!!!
Please tell me that this isn't true or this is, in itself, discrimination!
No it is not true at all. All children are subject to exactly the same criteria for free and subsidised transport regardless of whether they go to English Medium, Welsh Medium or faith schools such as St Josephs.
[quote][p][bold]jayjae[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Nospin_1[/bold] wrote: If they attend a WM school transport is free - assembly rules .!!![/p][/quote]Please tell me that this isn't true or this is, in itself, discrimination![/p][/quote]No it is not true at all. All children are subject to exactly the same criteria for free and subsidised transport regardless of whether they go to English Medium, Welsh Medium or faith schools such as St Josephs. Mwy Eira
  • Score: 6

2:30pm Thu 29 May 14

Danfoss says...

What everybody should realise is that this all down to the mis management by our local councils again.They should have been analysing the cost of transport yearly and amending costs annually. If this had happened in the private sector, there would have been people held accountable and action taken, but it appears with the councils nobody is ever held responsible. The councillors who should be acting in our interest as we are the ones who voted them into office, should be asking questions on why costs were not analysed on a yearly basis.
I forgot councillors as like MP s are only concerned on matters involving them and not the electorate.
What everybody should realise is that this all down to the mis management by our local councils again.They should have been analysing the cost of transport yearly and amending costs annually. If this had happened in the private sector, there would have been people held accountable and action taken, but it appears with the councils nobody is ever held responsible. The councillors who should be acting in our interest as we are the ones who voted them into office, should be asking questions on why costs were not analysed on a yearly basis. I forgot councillors as like MP s are only concerned on matters involving them and not the electorate. Danfoss
  • Score: 2

5:47pm Thu 29 May 14

Bobevans says...

They should change the current Free fares system it is just daft. If a primary school pupil lives over 2 miles from a school they get free travel. If a secondary school child lives over 3 miles from a school they get free travel? Why though,

The fares in some cases could be the same but one pays the other does not

Far more logical is to say everyone pays for the first 2 or 3 miles and the Council only pays for any actual excess cost for journeys over that distance

You could have someone on say £15K a year and they have to pay yet someone on £60K could get free travel for their children. It is a crazy system
They should change the current Free fares system it is just daft. If a primary school pupil lives over 2 miles from a school they get free travel. If a secondary school child lives over 3 miles from a school they get free travel? Why though, The fares in some cases could be the same but one pays the other does not Far more logical is to say everyone pays for the first 2 or 3 miles and the Council only pays for any actual excess cost for journeys over that distance You could have someone on say £15K a year and they have to pay yet someone on £60K could get free travel for their children. It is a crazy system Bobevans
  • Score: 3

1:49pm Fri 30 May 14

jayjae says...

Bobevans wrote:
They should change the current Free fares system it is just daft. If a primary school pupil lives over 2 miles from a school they get free travel. If a secondary school child lives over 3 miles from a school they get free travel? Why though,

The fares in some cases could be the same but one pays the other does not

Far more logical is to say everyone pays for the first 2 or 3 miles and the Council only pays for any actual excess cost for journeys over that distance

You could have someone on say £15K a year and they have to pay yet someone on £60K could get free travel for their children. It is a crazy system
I absolutely agree with you but can you imagine if Newport city council had to handle means testing for every student ,when they haven't even reviewed the transport costs since 1996.
Plus by law every child of school age has to attend school or we get fined therefore the local council for health and safety reason have to provide a means for those children living beyond the stated radius to get to school for free. The only reason they can charge these new charges is because education is not compulsory after 16, it is a choice.
The price of £347 is not based on every post 16 student paying the same and making it fair for all as the council would like us to believe . Anyone who makes enquiries will soon learn the truth and it will be exposed.
[quote][p][bold]Bobevans[/bold] wrote: They should change the current Free fares system it is just daft. If a primary school pupil lives over 2 miles from a school they get free travel. If a secondary school child lives over 3 miles from a school they get free travel? Why though, The fares in some cases could be the same but one pays the other does not Far more logical is to say everyone pays for the first 2 or 3 miles and the Council only pays for any actual excess cost for journeys over that distance You could have someone on say £15K a year and they have to pay yet someone on £60K could get free travel for their children. It is a crazy system[/p][/quote]I absolutely agree with you but can you imagine if Newport city council had to handle means testing for every student ,when they haven't even reviewed the transport costs since 1996. Plus by law every child of school age has to attend school or we get fined [ another money making opportunity ] therefore the local council for health and safety reason [ which have probably been agreed on in Brussels] have to provide a means for those children living beyond the stated radius to get to school for free. The only reason they can charge these new charges is because education is not compulsory after 16, it is a choice. The price of £347 is not based on every post 16 student paying the same and making it fair for all as the council would like us to believe . Anyone who makes enquiries will soon learn the truth and it will be exposed. jayjae
  • Score: 1

9:35am Sat 31 May 14

Bobevans says...

jayjae wrote:
Bobevans wrote:
They should change the current Free fares system it is just daft. If a primary school pupil lives over 2 miles from a school they get free travel. If a secondary school child lives over 3 miles from a school they get free travel? Why though,

The fares in some cases could be the same but one pays the other does not

Far more logical is to say everyone pays for the first 2 or 3 miles and the Council only pays for any actual excess cost for journeys over that distance

You could have someone on say £15K a year and they have to pay yet someone on £60K could get free travel for their children. It is a crazy system
I absolutely agree with you but can you imagine if Newport city council had to handle means testing for every student ,when they haven't even reviewed the transport costs since 1996.
Plus by law every child of school age has to attend school or we get fined therefore the local council for health and safety reason have to provide a means for those children living beyond the stated radius to get to school for free. The only reason they can charge these new charges is because education is not compulsory after 16, it is a choice.
The price of £347 is not based on every post 16 student paying the same and making it fair for all as the council would like us to believe . Anyone who makes enquiries will soon learn the truth and it will be exposed.
I am not suggest means test just that every one pays the fair for the first 2 miles(Primary) or 3 Miles Secondary) rather than at present some pay nothing just because they live over those distances
[quote][p][bold]jayjae[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Bobevans[/bold] wrote: They should change the current Free fares system it is just daft. If a primary school pupil lives over 2 miles from a school they get free travel. If a secondary school child lives over 3 miles from a school they get free travel? Why though, The fares in some cases could be the same but one pays the other does not Far more logical is to say everyone pays for the first 2 or 3 miles and the Council only pays for any actual excess cost for journeys over that distance You could have someone on say £15K a year and they have to pay yet someone on £60K could get free travel for their children. It is a crazy system[/p][/quote]I absolutely agree with you but can you imagine if Newport city council had to handle means testing for every student ,when they haven't even reviewed the transport costs since 1996. Plus by law every child of school age has to attend school or we get fined [ another money making opportunity ] therefore the local council for health and safety reason [ which have probably been agreed on in Brussels] have to provide a means for those children living beyond the stated radius to get to school for free. The only reason they can charge these new charges is because education is not compulsory after 16, it is a choice. The price of £347 is not based on every post 16 student paying the same and making it fair for all as the council would like us to believe . Anyone who makes enquiries will soon learn the truth and it will be exposed.[/p][/quote]I am not suggest means test just that every one pays the fair for the first 2 miles(Primary) or 3 Miles Secondary) rather than at present some pay nothing just because they live over those distances Bobevans
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree