PLANS for a development that could see as many as 77 new flats in a 14 storey building at a site near George Street Bridge in Newport are to go before a planning committee.
Officers have recommended the outline plans be granted with conditions – despite long-standing opposition to the scheme, previously dubbed a “monster.”
A previous attempt at planning permission in 2011 was turned down by Newport council’s planning committee, which will consider the newer application on Wednesday.
The previous application was turned down on the grounds of insufficient parking and the excessive scale of the building, but officers have now recommended plans be given the green light , saying the changes to the landscape aren’t unacceptably harmful. The decision is however up to councillors.
Developers Messrs Webber & Hill are looking to build an apartment block on land at Coverack Road, Newport, that at its maximum height would be no taller than 46 metres, or around 14 storeys.
Other parts of the building vary from two to seven storeys in height, with up to 94 parking spaces provided.
Some 22 letters and emails were sent to Newport council objecting to the plans, together with a petition with 248 signatures, according to planning documents.
A myriad of reasons were cited, including fears of a loss of privacy from back-gardens and bedrooms; that the development is out of keeping with surrounding residences; and that the scale of the building wouldn’t be consistent with the residential area.
However the Design Commission for Wales has previously stated that the height and mass of the building was acceptable within the context of the bridge and new development across the river.
Officers said there was potential for the building to overlook the gardens of nearby properties, but it wasn’t considered that there would be any loss of privacy to habitable rooms.
Gwent Police said that 94 parking spaces may be insufficient, but the head of Newport Council’s street scene department said it was acceptable.
The Argus previously reported on the application in 2012 – with one resident calling it a “monster.”