Pontypool man admits making explosives at centre of bomb scare

Pontypool man admits making explosives at centre of bomb scare

Howard Powell directs traffic on Commercial Street after the bomb squad were called to Risca Police station after a device was handed in.. (4389372)

Bomb disposal squad in Risca pic by Harry Leigh. (4389158)

Bomb disposal squad in Risca pic by Callum Evans. (4389156)

First published in News by

A MAN yesterday admitted making explosive substances that sparked a town centre bomb alert.

Risca Police called in bomb disposal experts after the devices were handed to officers based at their police station on March 4.

Officers cordoned off the town centre before the experts carried out a controlled explosion with a robot in the vicinity of the police station.

A town centre trader said the incident had caused chaos.

Mark Wise, 51, yesterday pleaded guilty to two counts of making explosive substances between December 1 last year and February 27, 2014.

Wise, of Oaklands Road, Sebastopol, was appearing before Cardiff Crown Court.

Cardiff Judge Tom Crowther, QC, adjourned the hearing for sentencing to September 12.

Newport Magistrates’ Court heard in March the explosives allegedly related to a pipe bomb and grenade specifically.

At the time of the incident, Gwent Police said “a bag of fireworks and other items” had been handed to them.

An Explosive Ordnance Disposal team were called on March 4 and a small controlled explosion was carried out that day. No one was hurt.

But the sealing off of a major road through Risca caused major traffic disruption in the town.

Our readers sent us images of traffic at a standstill and the bomb squad robot being deployed to deal with the incident.

Chris Powell, of Howard’s Butchers, said at the time: “It was bedlam for us – absolute chaos.

“My father had to go onto the road to direct the traffic.

"At one point, there were five or six cars doing three point turns at the same time, beeping and all.”

A Gwent Police spokeswoman said yesterday [August 5]: “We take these incidents, which are potentially very dangerous, very seriously and first and foremost will attempt to minimise any risk to the public.

“The incident caused disruption to businesses and residents while the cordon was in place and we are grateful for their co-operation.

"We hope that the conviction will serve as a warning to others.”

Comments (1)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

5:42pm Wed 6 Aug 14

displayed says...

"Mark Wise, 51, yesterday pleaded guilty to two counts of making explosive substances"

Hes old enuff to know better, is it that boring up the valleys, that u gotta make your own fireworks!
"Mark Wise, 51, yesterday pleaded guilty to two counts of making explosive substances" Hes old enuff to know better, is it that boring up the valleys, that u gotta make your own fireworks! displayed
  • Score: -3

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree