7:50pm Sunday 1st July 2012
By David Deans
OPPONENTS to sites named in a shortlist of locations for Gipsy and traveller sites in Newport have welcomed a plan to re-examine the whole issue.
The new Newport council Labour administration has decided to scrap a shortlist of five locations and have the issue reviewed by a scrutiny committee.
Two councillors who have expressed their opposition to previously proposed sites have welcomed the chance for the public to contribute.
The committee is to look at a new list of locations - which may still include some of the old shortlisted sites in Bettws, Lliswerry and Marshfield wards.
Members of the public will be able to comment and make suggestions for alternatives.
Tony Ducroq, a councillor on Nash Community Council, said: "I think they have got the message.
"I'm pleased it will subject to a public consultation because I don't think the two sites in Broad Street Common [in Nash village] are suitable.
"We've got a traveller site in Broad Street Common already - we live in harmony with them, but we don't want three of them. It will be a Gipsy ghetto."
Noel Trigg, a Bettws city councillor who told a meeting last year he would sooner lie in the road than see a gipsy site created in a field near the estate, said he was more than pleased.
"Its excellent that they are looking at it again. Everyone has got a good chance now to say what they think."
© Copyright 2001-2014 Newsquest Media Group