Usk restaurant owner facing court over 'unlawful' lights

South Wales Argus: Sally Smith outside La Cantina Sally Smith outside La Cantina

A RESTAURANTEUR is facing court action if she fails to remove lights outside her property, which the council says are unlawful.

Sally Smith, who runs La Cantina Bistro and Restaurant in Usk, put up five swan neck lights outside its entrance in Bridge Street to make the area safer at night for customers.

But Monmouthshire council's Planning department say the lights, which cost La Cantina £1,000, are unlawful because they do not have planning permission and are unsuitable within the Usk Conservation Area.

Mrs Smith claims to have received a "very threatening" letter in February telling her to take them down, and was told any appeal would be declined. Another letter in June said she had 14 days to remove the lights or face prosecution in the magistratesÕ court.

This could result in a maximum penalty of £2,500 and an additional daily fine of £250 for every day after conviction that the lights remain in place.

Mrs Smith, who also runs a South African shop Biltong2u Ltd in Llancayo Court, hit out at the authority, claiming it should do more to help independent businesses thrive, at a time when others around it are closing.

She said: "David Cameron has been saying all the time he wants to relax the planning laws to help small businesses and Monmouthshire Planning Department come along and do this."

The council's enforcement manager Paula Clarke said: "Unfortunately the lights continue to be used and no positive steps have been taken by the owner to resolve the matter.

"The council recently advised that unless the lights were removed within 14 days we would have to commence prosecution proceedings for the offence. The council remains available to discuss alternatives with the owner."

Mrs Smith said the lights are in place but have never been used and says she has requested a meeting with planners several times but they have failed to respond.

Comments (32)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:55am Mon 9 Jul 12

Usk1960 says...

As a resident of Usk I am grateful for the fact that Monmouth council are finally doing something about this restaurant.  They seem to have a complete disregard for the local community.  They continuously leave their signs and outdoor seating area right across the pavement, I have seen many elderly people and mothers with young children struggle to get around the obstructions they leave across what is meant to be a public pathway.  Numerous times we have seen the company cars parked illegally across from their restaurant for hours.  I for one am glad that they have finally been told that they are not above the law.  If this closes them down then so be it, hopefully a business owner with more regard for the local community will take their place.
As a resident of Usk I am grateful for the fact that Monmouth council are finally doing something about this restaurant.  They seem to have a complete disregard for the local community.  They continuously leave their signs and outdoor seating area right across the pavement, I have seen many elderly people and mothers with young children struggle to get around the obstructions they leave across what is meant to be a public pathway.  Numerous times we have seen the company cars parked illegally across from their restaurant for hours.  I for one am glad that they have finally been told that they are not above the law.  If this closes them down then so be it, hopefully a business owner with more regard for the local community will take their place. Usk1960
  • Score: 0

11:30am Mon 9 Jul 12

gadget says...

This lady has done nothing wrong in my opinion.
Monmouthshire council must be the worst in the uk , the planning system is a joke , try and get hold of someone in planning and they might reply in a months time if your lucky , what with a shocking amount of holidays and maternity and flexitime council workers hardly have to go into work at all . Note to bussiness owners. if your thinking of setting up a businness in monmouthshire DONT! the Bureaucracy will crush you . find somewhere else!
And to the misserble git who has commented above Why dont you put your knitting down and go and get a life!
This lady has done nothing wrong in my opinion. Monmouthshire council must be the worst in the uk , the planning system is a joke , try and get hold of someone in planning and they might reply in a months time if your lucky , what with a shocking amount of holidays and maternity and flexitime council workers hardly have to go into work at all . Note to bussiness owners. if your thinking of setting up a businness in monmouthshire DONT! the Bureaucracy will crush you . find somewhere else! And to the misserble git who has commented above Why dont you put your knitting down and go and get a life! gadget
  • Score: 0

11:38am Mon 9 Jul 12

On the inside says...

gadget wrote:
This lady has done nothing wrong in my opinion. Monmouthshire council must be the worst in the uk , the planning system is a joke , try and get hold of someone in planning and they might reply in a months time if your lucky , what with a shocking amount of holidays and maternity and flexitime council workers hardly have to go into work at all . Note to bussiness owners. if your thinking of setting up a businness in monmouthshire DONT! the Bureaucracy will crush you . find somewhere else! And to the misserble git who has commented above Why dont you put your knitting down and go and get a life!
You are not only wrong, you are clearly a council hater. Perhaps you have failed in your own life and hate people who work for the good of everybody not just themselves.

I am sick and tired tinpot 'business' people who think they can ignore the rules. Obtaining planning permission is a normal business activity and no impediment to success if you know what you are doing. If you do not know what you are doing you deserve to fail and if you do know what you are doing and knowingly flout the law you deserve all you get.

The standard of management on small business is appaling in this country. No wonder we are the joke of europe.
[quote][p][bold]gadget[/bold] wrote: This lady has done nothing wrong in my opinion. Monmouthshire council must be the worst in the uk , the planning system is a joke , try and get hold of someone in planning and they might reply in a months time if your lucky , what with a shocking amount of holidays and maternity and flexitime council workers hardly have to go into work at all . Note to bussiness owners. if your thinking of setting up a businness in monmouthshire DONT! the Bureaucracy will crush you . find somewhere else! And to the misserble git who has commented above Why dont you put your knitting down and go and get a life![/p][/quote]You are not only wrong, you are clearly a council hater. Perhaps you have failed in your own life and hate people who work for the good of everybody not just themselves. I am sick and tired tinpot 'business' people who think they can ignore the rules. Obtaining planning permission is a normal business activity and no impediment to success if you know what you are doing. If you do not know what you are doing you deserve to fail and if you do know what you are doing and knowingly flout the law you deserve all you get. The standard of management on small business is appaling in this country. No wonder we are the joke of europe. On the inside
  • Score: 0

11:52am Mon 9 Jul 12

Walesrocs says...

This owner has put up an extra lighting to ensure that the enterance is safe.

It takes a very poor minded council to raise issues over a few extra lights.

Our council tax is being wasted once again.
This owner has put up an extra lighting to ensure that the enterance is safe. It takes a very poor minded council to raise issues over a few extra lights. Our council tax is being wasted once again. Walesrocs
  • Score: 0

12:09pm Mon 9 Jul 12

Usk2012 says...

Just a general observation, but would that be a lamp post to the right of the picture? Just thought I would point that out as surely that generates enough light for 'customers safety'.
Just a general observation, but would that be a lamp post to the right of the picture? Just thought I would point that out as surely that generates enough light for 'customers safety'. Usk2012
  • Score: 0

12:33pm Mon 9 Jul 12

amp850 says...

Usk1960 wrote:
As a resident of Usk I am grateful for the fact that Monmouth council are finally doing something about this restaurant.  They seem to have a complete disregard for the local community.  They continuously leave their signs and outdoor seating area right across the pavement, I have seen many elderly people and mothers with young children struggle to get around the obstructions they leave across what is meant to be a public pathway.  Numerous times we have seen the company cars parked illegally across from their restaurant for hours.  I for one am glad that they have finally been told that they are not above the law.  If this closes them down then so be it, hopefully a business owner with more regard for the local community will take their place.
I work at a Local Garage over the bridge so I walk past this restaurant every day, I see prams, wheelchairs and all sorts go past the restaurant all the time with no problem. Are you sure you have the right place? If so I feel you need to do some exercise, because I think most people can walk past no problem. I have never seen a company car park outside, neither have I ever seen a company car....the only car I see parked for hours on end is the Carpet shop and the IT Place. My advice for you is loose some weight and open your eyes....and get a life!
[quote][p][bold]Usk1960[/bold] wrote: As a resident of Usk I am grateful for the fact that Monmouth council are finally doing something about this restaurant.  They seem to have a complete disregard for the local community.  They continuously leave their signs and outdoor seating area right across the pavement, I have seen many elderly people and mothers with young children struggle to get around the obstructions they leave across what is meant to be a public pathway.  Numerous times we have seen the company cars parked illegally across from their restaurant for hours.  I for one am glad that they have finally been told that they are not above the law.  If this closes them down then so be it, hopefully a business owner with more regard for the local community will take their place.[/p][/quote]I work at a Local Garage over the bridge so I walk past this restaurant every day, I see prams, wheelchairs and all sorts go past the restaurant all the time with no problem. Are you sure you have the right place? If so I feel you need to do some exercise, because I think most people can walk past no problem. I have never seen a company car park outside, neither have I ever seen a company car....the only car I see parked for hours on end is the Carpet shop and the IT Place. My advice for you is loose some weight and open your eyes....and get a life! amp850
  • Score: 0

12:35pm Mon 9 Jul 12

gadget says...

amp850 wrote:
Usk1960 wrote:
As a resident of Usk I am grateful for the fact that Monmouth council are finally doing something about this restaurant.  They seem to have a complete disregard for the local community.  They continuously leave their signs and outdoor seating area right across the pavement, I have seen many elderly people and mothers with young children struggle to get around the obstructions they leave across what is meant to be a public pathway.  Numerous times we have seen the company cars parked illegally across from their restaurant for hours.  I for one am glad that they have finally been told that they are not above the law.  If this closes them down then so be it, hopefully a business owner with more regard for the local community will take their place.
I work at a Local Garage over the bridge so I walk past this restaurant every day, I see prams, wheelchairs and all sorts go past the restaurant all the time with no problem. Are you sure you have the right place? If so I feel you need to do some exercise, because I think most people can walk past no problem. I have never seen a company car park outside, neither have I ever seen a company car....the only car I see parked for hours on end is the Carpet shop and the IT Place. My advice for you is loose some weight and open your eyes....and get a life!
well said.
[quote][p][bold]amp850[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Usk1960[/bold] wrote: As a resident of Usk I am grateful for the fact that Monmouth council are finally doing something about this restaurant.  They seem to have a complete disregard for the local community.  They continuously leave their signs and outdoor seating area right across the pavement, I have seen many elderly people and mothers with young children struggle to get around the obstructions they leave across what is meant to be a public pathway.  Numerous times we have seen the company cars parked illegally across from their restaurant for hours.  I for one am glad that they have finally been told that they are not above the law.  If this closes them down then so be it, hopefully a business owner with more regard for the local community will take their place.[/p][/quote]I work at a Local Garage over the bridge so I walk past this restaurant every day, I see prams, wheelchairs and all sorts go past the restaurant all the time with no problem. Are you sure you have the right place? If so I feel you need to do some exercise, because I think most people can walk past no problem. I have never seen a company car park outside, neither have I ever seen a company car....the only car I see parked for hours on end is the Carpet shop and the IT Place. My advice for you is loose some weight and open your eyes....and get a life![/p][/quote]well said. gadget
  • Score: 0

12:45pm Mon 9 Jul 12

amp850 says...

gadget wrote:
amp850 wrote:
Usk1960 wrote:
As a resident of Usk I am grateful for the fact that Monmouth council are finally doing something about this restaurant.  They seem to have a complete disregard for the local community.  They continuously leave their signs and outdoor seating area right across the pavement, I have seen many elderly people and mothers with young children struggle to get around the obstructions they leave across what is meant to be a public pathway.  Numerous times we have seen the company cars parked illegally across from their restaurant for hours.  I for one am glad that they have finally been told that they are not above the law.  If this closes them down then so be it, hopefully a business owner with more regard for the local community will take their place.
I work at a Local Garage over the bridge so I walk past this restaurant every day, I see prams, wheelchairs and all sorts go past the restaurant all the time with no problem. Are you sure you have the right place? If so I feel you need to do some exercise, because I think most people can walk past no problem. I have never seen a company car park outside, neither have I ever seen a company car....the only car I see parked for hours on end is the Carpet shop and the IT Place. My advice for you is loose some weight and open your eyes....and get a life!
well said.
Thanks Gadget. As I said I work over the bridge, but the people of 'Planet Usk' are unbelievable with their petty complaints!
[quote][p][bold]gadget[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]amp850[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Usk1960[/bold] wrote: As a resident of Usk I am grateful for the fact that Monmouth council are finally doing something about this restaurant.  They seem to have a complete disregard for the local community.  They continuously leave their signs and outdoor seating area right across the pavement, I have seen many elderly people and mothers with young children struggle to get around the obstructions they leave across what is meant to be a public pathway.  Numerous times we have seen the company cars parked illegally across from their restaurant for hours.  I for one am glad that they have finally been told that they are not above the law.  If this closes them down then so be it, hopefully a business owner with more regard for the local community will take their place.[/p][/quote]I work at a Local Garage over the bridge so I walk past this restaurant every day, I see prams, wheelchairs and all sorts go past the restaurant all the time with no problem. Are you sure you have the right place? If so I feel you need to do some exercise, because I think most people can walk past no problem. I have never seen a company car park outside, neither have I ever seen a company car....the only car I see parked for hours on end is the Carpet shop and the IT Place. My advice for you is loose some weight and open your eyes....and get a life![/p][/quote]well said.[/p][/quote]Thanks Gadget. As I said I work over the bridge, but the people of 'Planet Usk' are unbelievable with their petty complaints! amp850
  • Score: 0

12:50pm Mon 9 Jul 12

Usk1960 says...

amp850 wrote:
gadget wrote:
amp850 wrote:
Usk1960 wrote: As a resident of Usk I am grateful for the fact that Monmouth council are finally doing something about this restaurant.  They seem to have a complete disregard for the local community.  They continuously leave their signs and outdoor seating area right across the pavement, I have seen many elderly people and mothers with young children struggle to get around the obstructions they leave across what is meant to be a public pathway.  Numerous times we have seen the company cars parked illegally across from their restaurant for hours.  I for one am glad that they have finally been told that they are not above the law.  If this closes them down then so be it, hopefully a business owner with more regard for the local community will take their place.
I work at a Local Garage over the bridge so I walk past this restaurant every day, I see prams, wheelchairs and all sorts go past the restaurant all the time with no problem. Are you sure you have the right place? If so I feel you need to do some exercise, because I think most people can walk past no problem. I have never seen a company car park outside, neither have I ever seen a company car....the only car I see parked for hours on end is the Carpet shop and the IT Place. My advice for you is loose some weight and open your eyes....and get a life!
well said.
Thanks Gadget. As I said I work over the bridge, but the people of 'Planet Usk' are unbelievable with their petty complaints!
Is that so? Then the fact that they recently received a complaint from the council after a member of public got in touch about the fact that an elderly woman in a mobility scooter was unable to pass that section of the pavement must have been made up? I think not. Also perhaps you should open your eyes as a van with their restaurant logo is frequently parked outside. “Planet Usk” like to look out for their community, you may be happy for disabled and elderly people to be hindered due to their ignorance. I however, am not.
[quote][p][bold]amp850[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]gadget[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]amp850[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Usk1960[/bold] wrote: As a resident of Usk I am grateful for the fact that Monmouth council are finally doing something about this restaurant.  They seem to have a complete disregard for the local community.  They continuously leave their signs and outdoor seating area right across the pavement, I have seen many elderly people and mothers with young children struggle to get around the obstructions they leave across what is meant to be a public pathway.  Numerous times we have seen the company cars parked illegally across from their restaurant for hours.  I for one am glad that they have finally been told that they are not above the law.  If this closes them down then so be it, hopefully a business owner with more regard for the local community will take their place.[/p][/quote]I work at a Local Garage over the bridge so I walk past this restaurant every day, I see prams, wheelchairs and all sorts go past the restaurant all the time with no problem. Are you sure you have the right place? If so I feel you need to do some exercise, because I think most people can walk past no problem. I have never seen a company car park outside, neither have I ever seen a company car....the only car I see parked for hours on end is the Carpet shop and the IT Place. My advice for you is loose some weight and open your eyes....and get a life![/p][/quote]well said.[/p][/quote]Thanks Gadget. As I said I work over the bridge, but the people of 'Planet Usk' are unbelievable with their petty complaints![/p][/quote]Is that so? Then the fact that they recently received a complaint from the council after a member of public got in touch about the fact that an elderly woman in a mobility scooter was unable to pass that section of the pavement must have been made up? I think not. Also perhaps you should open your eyes as a van with their restaurant logo is frequently parked outside. “Planet Usk” like to look out for their community, you may be happy for disabled and elderly people to be hindered due to their ignorance. I however, am not. Usk1960
  • Score: 0

1:01pm Mon 9 Jul 12

amp850 says...

Usk1960 wrote:
amp850 wrote:
gadget wrote:
amp850 wrote:
Usk1960 wrote: As a resident of Usk I am grateful for the fact that Monmouth council are finally doing something about this restaurant.  They seem to have a complete disregard for the local community.  They continuously leave their signs and outdoor seating area right across the pavement, I have seen many elderly people and mothers with young children struggle to get around the obstructions they leave across what is meant to be a public pathway.  Numerous times we have seen the company cars parked illegally across from their restaurant for hours.  I for one am glad that they have finally been told that they are not above the law.  If this closes them down then so be it, hopefully a business owner with more regard for the local community will take their place.
I work at a Local Garage over the bridge so I walk past this restaurant every day, I see prams, wheelchairs and all sorts go past the restaurant all the time with no problem. Are you sure you have the right place? If so I feel you need to do some exercise, because I think most people can walk past no problem. I have never seen a company car park outside, neither have I ever seen a company car....the only car I see parked for hours on end is the Carpet shop and the IT Place. My advice for you is loose some weight and open your eyes....and get a life!
well said.
Thanks Gadget. As I said I work over the bridge, but the people of 'Planet Usk' are unbelievable with their petty complaints!
Is that so? Then the fact that they recently received a complaint from the council after a member of public got in touch about the fact that an elderly woman in a mobility scooter was unable to pass that section of the pavement must have been made up? I think not. Also perhaps you should open your eyes as a van with their restaurant logo is frequently parked outside. “Planet Usk” like to look out for their community, you may be happy for disabled and elderly people to be hindered due to their ignorance. I however, am not.
But surely if it was breaking the law they would be removed....i've been walking past for close on 10 years (when the previous cafe was there) and their signs were the same.
I have never seen the van there, who would park on bridge street other than loading etc? Its like the M4 along there, it seems to me you have a personal problem with the owners. I don't know them but they do good for the town, they employ people, they take up what would be another empty shop. Why don't you support things like this? Would you rather have an empty shop like the rest of Usk, or have a Tesco that will make everyone else un-employed in the town? Come on man, get a grip and start thinking about other people than yourself....
[quote][p][bold]Usk1960[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]amp850[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]gadget[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]amp850[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Usk1960[/bold] wrote: As a resident of Usk I am grateful for the fact that Monmouth council are finally doing something about this restaurant.  They seem to have a complete disregard for the local community.  They continuously leave their signs and outdoor seating area right across the pavement, I have seen many elderly people and mothers with young children struggle to get around the obstructions they leave across what is meant to be a public pathway.  Numerous times we have seen the company cars parked illegally across from their restaurant for hours.  I for one am glad that they have finally been told that they are not above the law.  If this closes them down then so be it, hopefully a business owner with more regard for the local community will take their place.[/p][/quote]I work at a Local Garage over the bridge so I walk past this restaurant every day, I see prams, wheelchairs and all sorts go past the restaurant all the time with no problem. Are you sure you have the right place? If so I feel you need to do some exercise, because I think most people can walk past no problem. I have never seen a company car park outside, neither have I ever seen a company car....the only car I see parked for hours on end is the Carpet shop and the IT Place. My advice for you is loose some weight and open your eyes....and get a life![/p][/quote]well said.[/p][/quote]Thanks Gadget. As I said I work over the bridge, but the people of 'Planet Usk' are unbelievable with their petty complaints![/p][/quote]Is that so? Then the fact that they recently received a complaint from the council after a member of public got in touch about the fact that an elderly woman in a mobility scooter was unable to pass that section of the pavement must have been made up? I think not. Also perhaps you should open your eyes as a van with their restaurant logo is frequently parked outside. “Planet Usk” like to look out for their community, you may be happy for disabled and elderly people to be hindered due to their ignorance. I however, am not.[/p][/quote]But surely if it was breaking the law they would be removed....i've been walking past for close on 10 years (when the previous cafe was there) and their signs were the same. I have never seen the van there, who would park on bridge street other than loading etc? Its like the M4 along there, it seems to me you have a personal problem with the owners. I don't know them but they do good for the town, they employ people, they take up what would be another empty shop. Why don't you support things like this? Would you rather have an empty shop like the rest of Usk, or have a Tesco that will make everyone else un-employed in the town? Come on man, get a grip and start thinking about other people than yourself.... amp850
  • Score: 0

1:28pm Mon 9 Jul 12

NakedDancer says...

Well - the planning rules are there for the benefit and protection of all and full credit the planning dept for enforcing them.

However, these lights do seem to be pretty inoffensive.
Well - the planning rules are there for the benefit and protection of all and full credit the planning dept for enforcing them. However, these lights do seem to be pretty inoffensive. NakedDancer
  • Score: 0

1:37pm Mon 9 Jul 12

gadget says...

NakedDancer wrote:
Well - the planning rules are there for the benefit and protection of all and full credit the planning dept for enforcing them.

However, these lights do seem to be pretty inoffensive.
you obviously know nothing about planning policy, Nor the poeple that benefit from them .
[quote][p][bold]NakedDancer[/bold] wrote: Well - the planning rules are there for the benefit and protection of all and full credit the planning dept for enforcing them. However, these lights do seem to be pretty inoffensive.[/p][/quote]you obviously know nothing about planning policy, Nor the poeple that benefit from them . gadget
  • Score: 0

1:47pm Mon 9 Jul 12

Valleymonkey says...

Why are Monmouthshire Planning more concerned about these lights than the giant housing estate planned for Usk without consultation? Then again they are opening a new council office at the college when they close Croesyceiliog. No doubt there will be a rash of new road plans pushed through so they can all have an early pop at 4pm - just like at Croesy.
Why are Monmouthshire Planning more concerned about these lights than the giant housing estate planned for Usk without consultation? Then again they are opening a new council office at the college when they close Croesyceiliog. No doubt there will be a rash of new road plans pushed through so they can all have an early pop at 4pm - just like at Croesy. Valleymonkey
  • Score: 0

1:59pm Mon 9 Jul 12

amp850 says...

NakedDancer wrote:
Well - the planning rules are there for the benefit and protection of all and full credit the planning dept for enforcing them.

However, these lights do seem to be pretty inoffensive.
Seriously? just like the new Sainsburys planned for Caerleon that was approved by the planners and that angered the local residents....yes you are right its there for the benefit and protection of all-There will be people unemployed at the local Spar and bakers, cafes closed, pubs empty, more empty shops...yeh for the benefit of all. Wake up and smell the Coffee mate, its corrupt!
[quote][p][bold]NakedDancer[/bold] wrote: Well - the planning rules are there for the benefit and protection of all and full credit the planning dept for enforcing them. However, these lights do seem to be pretty inoffensive.[/p][/quote]Seriously? just like the new Sainsburys planned for Caerleon that was approved by the planners and that angered the local residents....yes you are right its there for the benefit and protection of all-There will be people unemployed at the local Spar and bakers, cafes closed, pubs empty, more empty shops...yeh for the benefit of all. Wake up and smell the Coffee mate, its corrupt! amp850
  • Score: 0

2:01pm Mon 9 Jul 12

gadget says...

amp850 wrote:
NakedDancer wrote:
Well - the planning rules are there for the benefit and protection of all and full credit the planning dept for enforcing them.

However, these lights do seem to be pretty inoffensive.
Seriously? just like the new Sainsburys planned for Caerleon that was approved by the planners and that angered the local residents....yes you are right its there for the benefit and protection of all-There will be people unemployed at the local Spar and bakers, cafes closed, pubs empty, more empty shops...yeh for the benefit of all. Wake up and smell the Coffee mate, its corrupt!
you hit the nail on the head .
[quote][p][bold]amp850[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]NakedDancer[/bold] wrote: Well - the planning rules are there for the benefit and protection of all and full credit the planning dept for enforcing them. However, these lights do seem to be pretty inoffensive.[/p][/quote]Seriously? just like the new Sainsburys planned for Caerleon that was approved by the planners and that angered the local residents....yes you are right its there for the benefit and protection of all-There will be people unemployed at the local Spar and bakers, cafes closed, pubs empty, more empty shops...yeh for the benefit of all. Wake up and smell the Coffee mate, its corrupt![/p][/quote]you hit the nail on the head . gadget
  • Score: 0

2:56pm Mon 9 Jul 12

TK-Logistics says...

As a regular visitor to Usk, I would like to offer my full support to Sally Smith's so called unlawful issue with the Monmouthshire Council. I am also astounded at some of the idiotic posts left regarding this matter. Mrs Smith has obviously invested considerably in this business, keeping it in its current prestign condition, the swan neck lights to further enhance this as well as lighting up the surrounding area for pedestrians are in my opinion a perfect addition. Really fail to see what the the problem is here? Small businesses need all the help they can get, what would you rather see in Usk, well kept establishments like La Cantina or window cleaners having to use sanders ?
As a regular visitor to Usk, I would like to offer my full support to Sally Smith's so called unlawful issue with the Monmouthshire Council. I am also astounded at some of the idiotic posts left regarding this matter. Mrs Smith has obviously invested considerably in this business, keeping it in its current prestign condition, the swan neck lights to further enhance this as well as lighting up the surrounding area for pedestrians are in my opinion a perfect addition. Really fail to see what the the problem is here? Small businesses need all the help they can get, what would you rather see in Usk, well kept establishments like La Cantina or window cleaners having to use sanders ? TK-Logistics
  • Score: 0

3:23pm Mon 9 Jul 12

NakedDancer says...

gadget wrote:
NakedDancer wrote: Well - the planning rules are there for the benefit and protection of all and full credit the planning dept for enforcing them. However, these lights do seem to be pretty inoffensive.
you obviously know nothing about planning policy, Nor the poeple that benefit from them .
You obviously know nothing about my knowledge of planning rules. If you want to comment stick to the point rather than snide insults.
[quote][p][bold]gadget[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]NakedDancer[/bold] wrote: Well - the planning rules are there for the benefit and protection of all and full credit the planning dept for enforcing them. However, these lights do seem to be pretty inoffensive.[/p][/quote]you obviously know nothing about planning policy, Nor the poeple that benefit from them .[/p][/quote]You obviously know nothing about my knowledge of planning rules. If you want to comment stick to the point rather than snide insults. NakedDancer
  • Score: 0

3:32pm Mon 9 Jul 12

NakedDancer says...

amp850 wrote:
NakedDancer wrote: Well - the planning rules are there for the benefit and protection of all and full credit the planning dept for enforcing them. However, these lights do seem to be pretty inoffensive.
Seriously? just like the new Sainsburys planned for Caerleon that was approved by the planners and that angered the local residents....yes you are right its there for the benefit and protection of all-There will be people unemployed at the local Spar and bakers, cafes closed, pubs empty, more empty shops...yeh for the benefit of all. Wake up and smell the Coffee mate, its corrupt!
Hmm, for the record I have previously posted on here that I don't understand how the views of Caerleon residents were overruled.

However, accusing Civil Servants and Politicians of corruption ? I suggest you take your evidence to the police straightaway, mate.
[quote][p][bold]amp850[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]NakedDancer[/bold] wrote: Well - the planning rules are there for the benefit and protection of all and full credit the planning dept for enforcing them. However, these lights do seem to be pretty inoffensive.[/p][/quote]Seriously? just like the new Sainsburys planned for Caerleon that was approved by the planners and that angered the local residents....yes you are right its there for the benefit and protection of all-There will be people unemployed at the local Spar and bakers, cafes closed, pubs empty, more empty shops...yeh for the benefit of all. Wake up and smell the Coffee mate, its corrupt![/p][/quote]Hmm, for the record I have previously posted on here that I don't understand how the views of Caerleon residents were overruled. However, accusing Civil Servants and Politicians of corruption ? I suggest you take your evidence to the police straightaway, mate. NakedDancer
  • Score: 0

4:27pm Mon 9 Jul 12

amp850 says...

TK-Logistics wrote:
As a regular visitor to Usk, I would like to offer my full support to Sally Smith's so called unlawful issue with the Monmouthshire Council. I am also astounded at some of the idiotic posts left regarding this matter. Mrs Smith has obviously invested considerably in this business, keeping it in its current prestign condition, the swan neck lights to further enhance this as well as lighting up the surrounding area for pedestrians are in my opinion a perfect addition. Really fail to see what the the problem is here? Small businesses need all the help they can get, what would you rather see in Usk, well kept establishments like La Cantina or window cleaners having to use sanders ?
Well said!! People soon complain when there are no shops or restaurants....USK people need to understand that we NEED businesses to help us all.
[quote][p][bold]TK-Logistics[/bold] wrote: As a regular visitor to Usk, I would like to offer my full support to Sally Smith's so called unlawful issue with the Monmouthshire Council. I am also astounded at some of the idiotic posts left regarding this matter. Mrs Smith has obviously invested considerably in this business, keeping it in its current prestign condition, the swan neck lights to further enhance this as well as lighting up the surrounding area for pedestrians are in my opinion a perfect addition. Really fail to see what the the problem is here? Small businesses need all the help they can get, what would you rather see in Usk, well kept establishments like La Cantina or window cleaners having to use sanders ?[/p][/quote]Well said!! People soon complain when there are no shops or restaurants....USK people need to understand that we NEED businesses to help us all. amp850
  • Score: 0

4:58pm Mon 9 Jul 12

Polly1234 says...

Usk1960 wrote:
As a resident of Usk I am grateful for the fact that Monmouth council are finally doing something about this restaurant.  They seem to have a complete disregard for the local community.  They continuously leave their signs and outdoor seating area right across the pavement, I have seen many elderly people and mothers with young children struggle to get around the obstructions they leave across what is meant to be a public pathway.  Numerous times we have seen the company cars parked illegally across from their restaurant for hours.  I for one am glad that they have finally been told that they are not above the law.  If this closes them down then so be it, hopefully a business owner with more regard for the local community will take their place.
What a hateful and irrational comment. It's very sad you seem to have some grudge against the restaurant.
I think the owners have done a great job, it looks very lovely and clearly a lot of time and hard work has gone into doing up the place. I go to Usk most days, parking in the car park near the La Cantina van- it's in the same parking place every day, so that part of your argument is incorrect. I don't know what company cars you are talking about either- I know people park in the high street but I think it's absurd to assume it must be La Cantina's fault. So that part isn't really valid. I can fit the pushchair past La Cantina and the chairs are way back from the road- so that was a pretty pointless comment too. And even I know a business needs to advertise, and the signs are clearly leaving enough room or the council would have said something when they made the petty complaint about the lights. It's a shame- the fish and chip shop down the road will have to take their lights down too now- and I thought they looked lovely on both places.
[quote][p][bold]Usk1960[/bold] wrote: As a resident of Usk I am grateful for the fact that Monmouth council are finally doing something about this restaurant.  They seem to have a complete disregard for the local community.  They continuously leave their signs and outdoor seating area right across the pavement, I have seen many elderly people and mothers with young children struggle to get around the obstructions they leave across what is meant to be a public pathway.  Numerous times we have seen the company cars parked illegally across from their restaurant for hours.  I for one am glad that they have finally been told that they are not above the law.  If this closes them down then so be it, hopefully a business owner with more regard for the local community will take their place.[/p][/quote]What a hateful and irrational comment. It's very sad you seem to have some grudge against the restaurant. I think the owners have done a great job, it looks very lovely and clearly a lot of time and hard work has gone into doing up the place. I go to Usk most days, parking in the car park near the La Cantina van- it's in the same parking place every day, so that part of your argument is incorrect. I don't know what company cars you are talking about either- I know people park in the high street but I think it's absurd to assume it must be La Cantina's fault. So that part isn't really valid. I can fit the pushchair past La Cantina and the chairs are way back from the road- so that was a pretty pointless comment too. And even I know a business needs to advertise, and the signs are clearly leaving enough room or the council would have said something when they made the petty complaint about the lights. It's a shame- the fish and chip shop down the road will have to take their lights down too now- and I thought they looked lovely on both places. Polly1234
  • Score: 0

5:01pm Mon 9 Jul 12

Polly1234 says...

amp850 wrote:
TK-Logistics wrote:
As a regular visitor to Usk, I would like to offer my full support to Sally Smith's so called unlawful issue with the Monmouthshire Council. I am also astounded at some of the idiotic posts left regarding this matter. Mrs Smith has obviously invested considerably in this business, keeping it in its current prestign condition, the swan neck lights to further enhance this as well as lighting up the surrounding area for pedestrians are in my opinion a perfect addition. Really fail to see what the the problem is here? Small businesses need all the help they can get, what would you rather see in Usk, well kept establishments like La Cantina or window cleaners having to use sanders ?
Well said!! People soon complain when there are no shops or restaurants....USK people need to understand that we NEED businesses to help us all.
Totally agree.
[quote][p][bold]amp850[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]TK-Logistics[/bold] wrote: As a regular visitor to Usk, I would like to offer my full support to Sally Smith's so called unlawful issue with the Monmouthshire Council. I am also astounded at some of the idiotic posts left regarding this matter. Mrs Smith has obviously invested considerably in this business, keeping it in its current prestign condition, the swan neck lights to further enhance this as well as lighting up the surrounding area for pedestrians are in my opinion a perfect addition. Really fail to see what the the problem is here? Small businesses need all the help they can get, what would you rather see in Usk, well kept establishments like La Cantina or window cleaners having to use sanders ?[/p][/quote]Well said!! People soon complain when there are no shops or restaurants....USK people need to understand that we NEED businesses to help us all.[/p][/quote]Totally agree. Polly1234
  • Score: 0

5:15pm Mon 9 Jul 12

Polly1234 says...

On the inside wrote:
gadget wrote:
This lady has done nothing wrong in my opinion. Monmouthshire council must be the worst in the uk , the planning system is a joke , try and get hold of someone in planning and they might reply in a months time if your lucky , what with a shocking amount of holidays and maternity and flexitime council workers hardly have to go into work at all . Note to bussiness owners. if your thinking of setting up a businness in monmouthshire DONT! the Bureaucracy will crush you . find somewhere else! And to the misserble git who has commented above Why dont you put your knitting down and go and get a life!
You are not only wrong, you are clearly a council hater. Perhaps you have failed in your own life and hate people who work for the good of everybody not just themselves.

I am sick and tired tinpot 'business' people who think they can ignore the rules. Obtaining planning permission is a normal business activity and no impediment to success if you know what you are doing. If you do not know what you are doing you deserve to fail and if you do know what you are doing and knowingly flout the law you deserve all you get.

The standard of management on small business is appaling in this country. No wonder we are the joke of europe.
Slightly over the top do you think? It would be different if La Cantina had built an extension or something without permission- remember we are talking about a couple of lights now. I would presume La Cantina, and the fish and chip shop down the road, didn't even know you need planning permission for a light; or that even if you do have permission that swan neck lights are 'not suitable for a conservation area'. They both wouldn't have spent money and effort on putting them up if they knew the council would tell them to take them down. So I think saying they both ignored the rules isn't really right.
[quote][p][bold]On the inside[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]gadget[/bold] wrote: This lady has done nothing wrong in my opinion. Monmouthshire council must be the worst in the uk , the planning system is a joke , try and get hold of someone in planning and they might reply in a months time if your lucky , what with a shocking amount of holidays and maternity and flexitime council workers hardly have to go into work at all . Note to bussiness owners. if your thinking of setting up a businness in monmouthshire DONT! the Bureaucracy will crush you . find somewhere else! And to the misserble git who has commented above Why dont you put your knitting down and go and get a life![/p][/quote]You are not only wrong, you are clearly a council hater. Perhaps you have failed in your own life and hate people who work for the good of everybody not just themselves. I am sick and tired tinpot 'business' people who think they can ignore the rules. Obtaining planning permission is a normal business activity and no impediment to success if you know what you are doing. If you do not know what you are doing you deserve to fail and if you do know what you are doing and knowingly flout the law you deserve all you get. The standard of management on small business is appaling in this country. No wonder we are the joke of europe.[/p][/quote]Slightly over the top do you think? It would be different if La Cantina had built an extension or something without permission- remember we are talking about a couple of lights now. I would presume La Cantina, and the fish and chip shop down the road, didn't even know you need planning permission for a light; or that even if you do have permission that swan neck lights are 'not suitable for a conservation area'. They both wouldn't have spent money and effort on putting them up if they knew the council would tell them to take them down. So I think saying they both ignored the rules isn't really right. Polly1234
  • Score: 0

5:21pm Mon 9 Jul 12

Polly1234 says...

On the inside wrote:
gadget wrote:
This lady has done nothing wrong in my opinion. Monmouthshire council must be the worst in the uk , the planning system is a joke , try and get hold of someone in planning and they might reply in a months time if your lucky , what with a shocking amount of holidays and maternity and flexitime council workers hardly have to go into work at all . Note to bussiness owners. if your thinking of setting up a businness in monmouthshire DONT! the Bureaucracy will crush you . find somewhere else! And to the misserble git who has commented above Why dont you put your knitting down and go and get a life!
You are not only wrong, you are clearly a council hater. Perhaps you have failed in your own life and hate people who work for the good of everybody not just themselves.

I am sick and tired tinpot 'business' people who think they can ignore the rules. Obtaining planning permission is a normal business activity and no impediment to success if you know what you are doing. If you do not know what you are doing you deserve to fail and if you do know what you are doing and knowingly flout the law you deserve all you get.

The standard of management on small business is appaling in this country. No wonder we are the joke of europe.
Slightly over the top do you think? It would be different if La Cantina had built an extension or something without permission- remember we are talking about a couple of lights now. I would presume La Cantina, and the fish and chip shop down the road, didn't even know you need planning permission for a light; or that even if you do have permission that swan neck lights are 'not suitable for a conservation area'. They both wouldn't have spent money and effort on putting them up if they knew the council would tell them to take them down. So I think saying they both ignored the rules isn't really right.
[quote][p][bold]On the inside[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]gadget[/bold] wrote: This lady has done nothing wrong in my opinion. Monmouthshire council must be the worst in the uk , the planning system is a joke , try and get hold of someone in planning and they might reply in a months time if your lucky , what with a shocking amount of holidays and maternity and flexitime council workers hardly have to go into work at all . Note to bussiness owners. if your thinking of setting up a businness in monmouthshire DONT! the Bureaucracy will crush you . find somewhere else! And to the misserble git who has commented above Why dont you put your knitting down and go and get a life![/p][/quote]You are not only wrong, you are clearly a council hater. Perhaps you have failed in your own life and hate people who work for the good of everybody not just themselves. I am sick and tired tinpot 'business' people who think they can ignore the rules. Obtaining planning permission is a normal business activity and no impediment to success if you know what you are doing. If you do not know what you are doing you deserve to fail and if you do know what you are doing and knowingly flout the law you deserve all you get. The standard of management on small business is appaling in this country. No wonder we are the joke of europe.[/p][/quote]Slightly over the top do you think? It would be different if La Cantina had built an extension or something without permission- remember we are talking about a couple of lights now. I would presume La Cantina, and the fish and chip shop down the road, didn't even know you need planning permission for a light; or that even if you do have permission that swan neck lights are 'not suitable for a conservation area'. They both wouldn't have spent money and effort on putting them up if they knew the council would tell them to take them down. So I think saying they both ignored the rules isn't really right. Polly1234
  • Score: 0

5:26pm Mon 9 Jul 12

taffytom says...

Usk1960 wrote:
As a resident of Usk I am grateful for the fact that Monmouth council are finally doing something about this restaurant.  They seem to have a complete disregard for the local community.  They continuously leave their signs and outdoor seating area right across the pavement, I have seen many elderly people and mothers with young children struggle to get around the obstructions they leave across what is meant to be a public pathway.  Numerous times we have seen the company cars parked illegally across from their restaurant for hours.  I for one am glad that they have finally been told that they are not above the law.  If this closes them down then so be it, hopefully a business owner with more regard for the local community will take their place.
What an absolute Joke!!! This lady is trying hard to run two businesses and all the council can do is complain about her lights. This is another case of council madness and financial waste. The brass swan neck lights are about as traditional as you can get unless the council would prefer gas lamps!!! its a discrase, let the woman get on with her job and Monmouthshire Council should stop worrying about the loss of the planning permission fee that they are obviously peeved about losing.
[quote][p][bold]Usk1960[/bold] wrote: As a resident of Usk I am grateful for the fact that Monmouth council are finally doing something about this restaurant.  They seem to have a complete disregard for the local community.  They continuously leave their signs and outdoor seating area right across the pavement, I have seen many elderly people and mothers with young children struggle to get around the obstructions they leave across what is meant to be a public pathway.  Numerous times we have seen the company cars parked illegally across from their restaurant for hours.  I for one am glad that they have finally been told that they are not above the law.  If this closes them down then so be it, hopefully a business owner with more regard for the local community will take their place.[/p][/quote]What an absolute Joke!!! This lady is trying hard to run two businesses and all the council can do is complain about her lights. This is another case of council madness and financial waste. The brass swan neck lights are about as traditional as you can get unless the council would prefer gas lamps!!! its a discrase, let the woman get on with her job and Monmouthshire Council should stop worrying about the loss of the planning permission fee that they are obviously peeved about losing. taffytom
  • Score: 0

5:42pm Mon 9 Jul 12

Polly1234 says...

taffytom wrote:
Usk1960 wrote:
As a resident of Usk I am grateful for the fact that Monmouth council are finally doing something about this restaurant.  They seem to have a complete disregard for the local community.  They continuously leave their signs and outdoor seating area right across the pavement, I have seen many elderly people and mothers with young children struggle to get around the obstructions they leave across what is meant to be a public pathway.  Numerous times we have seen the company cars parked illegally across from their restaurant for hours.  I for one am glad that they have finally been told that they are not above the law.  If this closes them down then so be it, hopefully a business owner with more regard for the local community will take their place.
What an absolute Joke!!! This lady is trying hard to run two businesses and all the council can do is complain about her lights. This is another case of council madness and financial waste. The brass swan neck lights are about as traditional as you can get unless the council would prefer gas lamps!!! its a discrase, let the woman get on with her job and Monmouthshire Council should stop worrying about the loss of the planning permission fee that they are obviously peeved about losing.
I absolutely agree with everything you just said.
[quote][p][bold]taffytom[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Usk1960[/bold] wrote: As a resident of Usk I am grateful for the fact that Monmouth council are finally doing something about this restaurant.  They seem to have a complete disregard for the local community.  They continuously leave their signs and outdoor seating area right across the pavement, I have seen many elderly people and mothers with young children struggle to get around the obstructions they leave across what is meant to be a public pathway.  Numerous times we have seen the company cars parked illegally across from their restaurant for hours.  I for one am glad that they have finally been told that they are not above the law.  If this closes them down then so be it, hopefully a business owner with more regard for the local community will take their place.[/p][/quote]What an absolute Joke!!! This lady is trying hard to run two businesses and all the council can do is complain about her lights. This is another case of council madness and financial waste. The brass swan neck lights are about as traditional as you can get unless the council would prefer gas lamps!!! its a discrase, let the woman get on with her job and Monmouthshire Council should stop worrying about the loss of the planning permission fee that they are obviously peeved about losing.[/p][/quote]I absolutely agree with everything you just said. Polly1234
  • Score: 0

5:53pm Mon 9 Jul 12

Polly1234 says...

Usk1960 wrote:
amp850 wrote:
gadget wrote:
amp850 wrote:
Usk1960 wrote: As a resident of Usk I am grateful for the fact that Monmouth council are finally doing something about this restaurant.  They seem to have a complete disregard for the local community.  They continuously leave their signs and outdoor seating area right across the pavement, I have seen many elderly people and mothers with young children struggle to get around the obstructions they leave across what is meant to be a public pathway.  Numerous times we have seen the company cars parked illegally across from their restaurant for hours.  I for one am glad that they have finally been told that they are not above the law.  If this closes them down then so be it, hopefully a business owner with more regard for the local community will take their place.
I work at a Local Garage over the bridge so I walk past this restaurant every day, I see prams, wheelchairs and all sorts go past the restaurant all the time with no problem. Are you sure you have the right place? If so I feel you need to do some exercise, because I think most people can walk past no problem. I have never seen a company car park outside, neither have I ever seen a company car....the only car I see parked for hours on end is the Carpet shop and the IT Place. My advice for you is loose some weight and open your eyes....and get a life!
well said.
Thanks Gadget. As I said I work over the bridge, but the people of 'Planet Usk' are unbelievable with their petty complaints!
Is that so? Then the fact that they recently received a complaint from the council after a member of public got in touch about the fact that an elderly woman in a mobility scooter was unable to pass that section of the pavement must have been made up? I think not. Also perhaps you should open your eyes as a van with their restaurant logo is frequently parked outside. “Planet Usk” like to look out for their community, you may be happy for disabled and elderly people to be hindered due to their ignorance. I however, am not.
Usk 1960 just made up that story about a mobility scooter? I think so!
Or the signs wouldn't be there- as if they were illegal and mobility scooters couldn't get through the council would have had them removed- duh. Your hatred towards La Cantina is getting quite concerning now....
[quote][p][bold]Usk1960[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]amp850[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]gadget[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]amp850[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Usk1960[/bold] wrote: As a resident of Usk I am grateful for the fact that Monmouth council are finally doing something about this restaurant.  They seem to have a complete disregard for the local community.  They continuously leave their signs and outdoor seating area right across the pavement, I have seen many elderly people and mothers with young children struggle to get around the obstructions they leave across what is meant to be a public pathway.  Numerous times we have seen the company cars parked illegally across from their restaurant for hours.  I for one am glad that they have finally been told that they are not above the law.  If this closes them down then so be it, hopefully a business owner with more regard for the local community will take their place.[/p][/quote]I work at a Local Garage over the bridge so I walk past this restaurant every day, I see prams, wheelchairs and all sorts go past the restaurant all the time with no problem. Are you sure you have the right place? If so I feel you need to do some exercise, because I think most people can walk past no problem. I have never seen a company car park outside, neither have I ever seen a company car....the only car I see parked for hours on end is the Carpet shop and the IT Place. My advice for you is loose some weight and open your eyes....and get a life![/p][/quote]well said.[/p][/quote]Thanks Gadget. As I said I work over the bridge, but the people of 'Planet Usk' are unbelievable with their petty complaints![/p][/quote]Is that so? Then the fact that they recently received a complaint from the council after a member of public got in touch about the fact that an elderly woman in a mobility scooter was unable to pass that section of the pavement must have been made up? I think not. Also perhaps you should open your eyes as a van with their restaurant logo is frequently parked outside. “Planet Usk” like to look out for their community, you may be happy for disabled and elderly people to be hindered due to their ignorance. I however, am not.[/p][/quote]Usk 1960 just made up that story about a mobility scooter? I think so! Or the signs wouldn't be there- as if they were illegal and mobility scooters couldn't get through the council would have had them removed- duh. Your hatred towards La Cantina is getting quite concerning now.... Polly1234
  • Score: 0

7:40pm Mon 9 Jul 12

bloggsy1 says...

A small town full of petty minded people.
A small town full of petty minded people. bloggsy1
  • Score: 0

11:19pm Mon 9 Jul 12

CM1 says...

Unfortunately this is all par for the course for Monmouthshire CC. Waste time and money on petty issues, whilst allowing major breaches of planning elsewhere. This all comes down to who you are; a case of scratched backs. Local drinking establishments/ eateries often appear to be targeted by the Council. It would be interesting to know whether the elected County Councillors of Usk support these businesses; please step forward.
Unfortunately this is all par for the course for Monmouthshire CC. Waste time and money on petty issues, whilst allowing major breaches of planning elsewhere. This all comes down to who you are; a case of scratched backs. Local drinking establishments/ eateries often appear to be targeted by the Council. It would be interesting to know whether the elected County Councillors of Usk support these businesses; please step forward. CM1
  • Score: 0

8:03pm Wed 11 Jul 12

gordelpus says...

Monmouthshire CC planning bods strike again. They ignore their own advice and the feelings of local people. Their arrogance defies belief. Pathetic local politics delivered by idiots.
Monmouthshire CC planning bods strike again. They ignore their own advice and the feelings of local people. Their arrogance defies belief. Pathetic local politics delivered by idiots. gordelpus
  • Score: 0

6:20pm Fri 13 Jul 12

La Cantina Usk says...

Usk1960 wrote:
As a resident of Usk I am grateful for the fact that Monmouth council are finally doing something about this restaurant.  They seem to have a complete disregard for the local community.  They continuously leave their signs and outdoor seating area right across the pavement, I have seen many elderly people and mothers with young children struggle to get around the obstructions they leave across what is meant to be a public pathway.  Numerous times we have seen the company cars parked illegally across from their restaurant for hours.  I for one am glad that they have finally been told that they are not above the law.  If this closes them down then so be it, hopefully a business owner with more regard for the local community will take their place.
Usk1960,
Thank you for your comments which have been reviewed over the last few days!
1) Regarding the "Company Car", we have one Business Vehicle which is a van with clear markings stating it belongs to La Cantina in Usk, this is parked in Usk Town car park Mondays to Saturdays in accordance with staff rotas, it is NOT left across the road unless for loading, in which case it is parked DIRECTLY outside the premises in question. You have made a mistake regarding this.
2) Regarding the signage and tables and chairs, these boards have been specifically placed in accordance, you will find that the gap from the signs to the end of the pavement is larger than further along the street in both directions where you will find further obstructions placed by businesses. We have many prams and wheelchairs that attend La Cantina and are able to enter and leave the premises from either direction. I'm afraid to inform you that no complaint has been received by us in regards to the mobility scooter, nor would it be justified as the signs are placed in accordance to the law.

Should you wish to discuss the matters above please contact us on 01291 673433 and I would urge you to do so, in order for us to get your problems rectified efficiently!

We would like to thank the other comments for your support. It has been tremendous the amount of local support we have been receiving regarding these lights. However, we will be re-locating these lights elsewhere in the premises.

Kind Regards

All the Team at La Cantina
[quote][p][bold]Usk1960[/bold] wrote: As a resident of Usk I am grateful for the fact that Monmouth council are finally doing something about this restaurant.  They seem to have a complete disregard for the local community.  They continuously leave their signs and outdoor seating area right across the pavement, I have seen many elderly people and mothers with young children struggle to get around the obstructions they leave across what is meant to be a public pathway.  Numerous times we have seen the company cars parked illegally across from their restaurant for hours.  I for one am glad that they have finally been told that they are not above the law.  If this closes them down then so be it, hopefully a business owner with more regard for the local community will take their place.[/p][/quote]Usk1960, Thank you for your comments which have been reviewed over the last few days! 1) Regarding the "Company Car", we have one Business Vehicle which is a van with clear markings stating it belongs to La Cantina in Usk, this is parked in Usk Town car park Mondays to Saturdays in accordance with staff rotas, it is NOT left across the road unless for loading, in which case it is parked DIRECTLY outside the premises in question. You have made a mistake regarding this. 2) Regarding the signage and tables and chairs, these boards have been specifically placed in accordance, you will find that the gap from the signs to the end of the pavement is larger than further along the street in both directions where you will find further obstructions placed by businesses. We have many prams and wheelchairs that attend La Cantina and are able to enter and leave the premises from either direction. I'm afraid to inform you that no complaint has been received by us in regards to the mobility scooter, nor would it be justified as the signs are placed in accordance to the law. Should you wish to discuss the matters above please contact us on 01291 673433 and I would urge you to do so, in order for us to get your problems rectified efficiently! We would like to thank the other comments for your support. It has been tremendous the amount of local support we have been receiving regarding these lights. However, we will be re-locating these lights elsewhere in the premises. Kind Regards All the Team at La Cantina La Cantina Usk
  • Score: 0

9:36pm Sat 14 Jul 12

gordelpus says...

Good luck with the buisiness for the future. Shame on Monmouthshire CC for the petty politics and jobsworths. Usk petty locals get a life. Visit Newport and realise how fortunate you are to live where you live. Good luck La Cantina.
Good luck with the buisiness for the future. Shame on Monmouthshire CC for the petty politics and jobsworths. Usk petty locals get a life. Visit Newport and realise how fortunate you are to live where you live. Good luck La Cantina. gordelpus
  • Score: 0

6:40am Thu 26 Jul 12

rocky50 says...

We live in an AONB took 2 years for us to get planning permission because of visual impairment for something that can not be seen!
Next door got permission to service vehicles 0600-2200 and to store building materials, all retrospectively. And all this permission was granted ILLEGALLY.
We took it to Judicial Review. This has cost us rate payers some £25-30,000. Now MCC are refusing to Enforce. Since then further development has taken place They have signs all over the place in red and white including one 6foot X 4 foot despite a public footpath running though the site. They have cut down the 40 foot trees protecting the site, tarmaced over an open field, erected 10 foot gates, and have installed 4 shipping containers. Broken the hours conditions, and hieght for storage conditions, piled up earth into banks. And MCC will not take enforcemnt action????
And yet look how they've come down on you! Personally I think the lights are not only non offensive but add to the charcter of the property.
We are contemplating another JR to get it enforced.
Just shows the level of corruption in Paul Mathew's(CEO) MCC.
This is rate payers money they are wasting, why is there not one rule for ALL?????
We live in an AONB took 2 years for us to get planning permission because of visual impairment for something that can not be seen! Next door got permission to service vehicles 0600-2200 and to store building materials, all retrospectively. And all this permission was granted ILLEGALLY. We took it to Judicial Review. This has cost us rate payers some £25-30,000. Now MCC are refusing to Enforce. Since then further development has taken place They have signs all over the place in red and white including one 6foot X 4 foot despite a public footpath running though the site. They have cut down the 40 foot trees protecting the site, tarmaced over an open field, erected 10 foot gates, and have installed 4 shipping containers. Broken the hours conditions, and hieght for storage conditions, piled up earth into banks. And MCC will not take enforcemnt action???? And yet look how they've come down on you! Personally I think the lights are not only non offensive but add to the charcter of the property. We are contemplating another JR to get it enforced. Just shows the level of corruption in Paul Mathew's(CEO) MCC. This is rate payers money they are wasting, why is there not one rule for ALL????? rocky50
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree