100 years ago today…

The Parliamentary Committee take up residence at the Westgate Hotel, Newport, ahead of the Trade Union Congress to be hosted in the city the following week.

Disabled W.W. Francis, of Newport, completes a swim from Penarth to Newport, passing the Newport lighthouse in a time of 4 hours and 32 minutes.

Newport County football club announce that they have now signed their players to full professional contracts and will open their season the following weekend at Somerton Park Lliswerry.

A Newport man is charged with being drunk and disorderly and assaulting P.C John Cowlin in the High-street, Newport, while another man is charged with wilfully obstructing the same constable. They are both fined 10s 6d for interfering with the police at Newport Police Court.

50 years ago today…

Organisers of the Pontypool Shopping Queen competition appeal for Pontypool’s pretty girls not to be shy, after just two apply for the competition.

 Workers at Bedwas colliery, which employed around 1,100 men, decide not to start the Monday morning shift after a dispute over changed working arrangements.

Former Newport High School pupil, John Isitt, starts playing rugby for the township side, Kano, in Northern Nigeria. Born in Lennard St, Newport, Mr Isitt moved to the country to manage a West African drugs company and said it was nice to take a piece of home out with him.

A fire starts in the old stables area of an Abergavenny hotel. The fire only caused slight damage to the tenant Mr Hearnshaw’s car. Divisional fire officer, D.F. Ostler said children playing with matches could have been a possible cause.

25 years ago today… 

Hot weather attracts more than 30,000 revellers to head to the Monmouth show. Car parks were overflowing with motorists reporting of being sent round in circles for as much as two hours by stewards as they hunt for car parking spaces.

All Gwent’s insulin-dependant diabetics are to be given their own syringes under Government plans, a move hailed as a great step forward by campaigners.

Newport rugby club captain Mike Watkins makes a controversial move north to Newbridge. Watkins was left furious after not being voted in by his fellow players as Newport’s captain for what would have been a record breaking fifth consecutive season.

Controversy reigns at the Monmouth show as the Wood family from Pontypool are stripped of the Supreme Champion award for their Freisian cow Chica.